1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-12-22 20:18:43)

Topic: One Art Honors Another

For our UK friends, I am sure the name L.S. Lowry needs no introduction, so before you click on the song about him, maybe the following link will be helpful to those of our friends who may not know of his work.

https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artists/l-s-lowry-1533

This isn't a Christmas song per se, but it is one I have often associated with the holiday because our late son Jason loved it so much when he was little, and always asked for it to be played for him at the holidays along with "The Marvellous Toy" (The Irish Rovers) and "Snoopy's Christmas".(The Royal Guardsmen)

I had a bit of difficulty choosing the version to play for you, however. According to the original artists, the title is "Matchstalk Men and Matchstalk Cats and Dogs", but the Irish Rovers sing it as "Matchstick Men and Matchstick Cats and Dogs".

So I went with what is considered the traditional spelling and even though we were introduced to the tune by the Rovers, here it is from Brian and Michael, along with lyrics. It honors a common man who was blessed with touching our hearts with his simple art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmopSVOMSsU

Happy Holidays to ALL of our CHORDIE Family

Bill and Dondra 

PS: Not to belittle The Irish Rovers' Version, and it's there on Youtube as well if you prefer it, but this one had the lyrics, although the background is a bit blurred.

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: One Art Honors Another

Cheers Bill, first time I have heard that song. Thank you I enjoyed that song. I love the way lowry caught the aesthetic of the towns the people and buildings with the grit and the .smoke stacks .  There is a theatre about his work that I love. He didnt go for the beautiful just the stark reality of peoples lifes at that time and place. He found beauty in his gritty home town environment.
Merry Christmas Bill  and Happy New Year to you and your family.     

Brings back some great memories for me too...thanks Bill.
I'm not 100% sure but I think the "Brian" in Brian and Michael is now the lead vocalist in ACDC? I could be wrong.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Bill
Happy Holidays to you and Dondra

That was a great cultural expose !  I enjoyed ita lot. Thanks for sharing.
Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke