Topic: The Buddy Holly Story

I stumbled on this while on YouTube recently and found it very informative as well as entertaining. The narrator is Dion Dimucci of the group Dion And The Belmonts and it will take you a little over an hour to listen and watch. Maybe it will answer some questions for you as well - like "Who's Buddy Holly?" - depending on your age, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIxwW3N … p;index=14 

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: The Buddy Holly Story

Bill
That was interesting.
I am not convinced it is accurate however.
Listen to the Tommy Allsup interview and the Waylon Jennings interview -
Not at all the same version as Dion's.

I think as I listen to Dion's production,  - it seemed to me to be more about him than the depiction of the events.
Some really cool inside information though - I appreciate the link - I watched the entire thing.
The winter there must have been brutal   -25 degrees on a bus !

I was able to visit the Norm Petty Studio last year in Clovis New Mexico - actually sat in Buddy Holly's studio chair and held his Strat! ( I have pics if your are interested)
I also was privileged enough to meet and spend an hour talking with David Bingham - who was a back up singer for Holly on all of his early productions ( group was the Roses)
He was the coolest old guy- told me a bunch of really interesting and personal stories.  He said when they would drive with Buddy from Lubbock,Texas to Clovis, they would go as fast as they could - always trying to get there before they left.  The reason was the time zone change - if they could get there in less than an hour - mission accomplished. smile

anyway - very good post - Thanks my friend

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Yeah, Dion featured himself pretty thoroughly throughout. I will listen to the Allsup/Jennings interviews as well, thanks for the reminder. It made sense to me, however, that the pilot of the charter wasn't instrument-rated and therefore not cleared for night flight.     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

4 (edited by Peatle Jville 2018-12-29 23:27:27)

Cheers Bill , every time I think of Buddy Holly I always think of Don Mclean singing about Buddy  in his song  American Pie. I will attach a video explaining all the lyrics to that song and their meaning. as he sings it. Don was a paper boy when heard Buddy had died that was what this little segment was about in Don,s lyrics.. I wont put the whole of it here as it would break copywrite rules.
But February made me shiver
With every paper I'd deliver
Bad news on the doorstep
The day the music died

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7gLpOpVijo