Topic: Music We Like & Music We Don't ... Why?

My 32-year-old son and I were having this deep discussion about music last evening, and trying to explain to each why we liked certain genres and didn't like others. Even within genres, we agreed that it can go from really good to really bad, so we also talked about why we felt this way about it also.

In a moment of transcendent enlightenment roll I summarized to him what I felt was missing in so much modern music: the musicians! That's right, the actual individuals who actually play musical instruments with some degree of skill, and can also write the music for their instruments to play.

What do you like or dislike about various music genres, or even the various eras of musical styles. And most importantly: why? 

Re: Music We Like & Music We Don't ... Why?

it's funny because i was watching a post on youtube this morning with a guy giving it large over modern (?) music(?)  and music from the 70's and he played a few examples of modern stuff using three or four chords repeated over and over then songs by the carpenters, pink floyd etc. someone replied by pointing out the 70's blight of punk...styles change don't they? i still listen to my beatles, jethro tull, yes, genesis, supertramp to name but a few. i turn off any music that has rap in it and "dance music" where the drum machine goes on for a week till a bass riff taken from another recording comes in and that plays for another fortnight on a loop?
there are some good examples of up to date music, most of those have "real" musicians playing on them....few and far between i'm afraid. maybe that's why i like country rock these days?     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I think some of the psychological effect is also to do with the fact that previously we had "groups", now we have "artists" ... in the days of yore you'd look at a (generic) group and have a favourite (maybe two), the couple that were OK, and the one that was part of the group that was your least favourite, but he was still part of the group, and occasionally did something that amazed you.

These days the "group" concept is gone -  musicians are just hired hands for the (usually) vocalist/artist, who is the center point - the musicians can/do change, so you only have one focal point, which you either like, or don't like - or some shade of grey in between.

another point is that, when you bought LP's/Casettes ( and up to a point CD's) - you put an investment of time into them; looking at covers, reading the inner linier notes etc, as you listened to the music, you'd made an investment of time and money. These days it's easy to point your browser at TPB and download 10Gb worth of an artists life works in a torrent and listen to it on your headphones throughout your day while working ... so the investment of dollars is now low, as well as the investment of time.

I do not condone piracy in any way, shape or form.     

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic

Phill Williams wrote:

i turn off any music that has rap in it

Music is like sweets, you throw away the rappers. lol lol lol

Roger     

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Too much of today's music is computer generated. Give me real music.     

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

Roger Guppy wrote:
Phill Williams wrote:

i turn off any music that has rap in it

Music is like sweets, you throw away the rappers. lol lol lol

Roger

I love that quote Roger.

I have no problem with synthesisers as long as they're actually played by a musician in effect the cheap way of having an orchestra on stage with you. But you can't beat a live drummer and bassist, a good guitarist and last but not least...at least two persons that can step up to the Mike and hammer out a song.

A perfect show? A four or five piece with multiple singers playing rock, country and ballads...live of course!     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

General likes: Uplifting music, technical skill balanced with good feeling, funk, swamp rock, folk, soul, and hip hop using real instruments. Harmony. Composition. 
General dislikes: overprocessed and computer music, dark/depressing/gloomy music, screaming, technical music that sacrifices feeling (eg yngwie)     

As far as likes, my tastes vary. I can go from one extreme to another. Ask anyone that has seen my songbooks or ridden in my car with me.  Dislike(s)-- Rap.     

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

9 (edited by TIGLJK 2018-12-22 14:32:30)

I tried adding a C chord to rap music - just made it more ......

C-RAP

smile

Seriously - there are some good Rap songs... not too many in my opinion
It's funny how  kids are so attracted to it though.

Just not my cup of tea.

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Found this YouTube video which goes into detail about modern music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVME_l4IwII     

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic

Neo - that was very interesting. Some very insightful perspectives.
Thanks for posting it.
Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

12 (edited by Tenement Funster 2019-01-06 14:00:35)

Very good stuff ... he comes across as a bit "high brow" at times, but the essential message is right on point.

What's constant is that now (as in the past) the mainstream media doesn't play quality "musician's music" over the airwaves. Non-musicians (the majority) can't really appreciate what they're hearing, so "popular music" has to appeal to the masses to generate revenue. But there are also some very encouraging trends:

1) there is still a LOT of fantastic music being made
2) thanks to YouTube, it's a lot easier to find than it was in the 60's and 70's
3) good musicians tend to have longer careers than recording artists
4) good music doesn't require trashy hype to be enjoyed

Thanks for posting this link, Neo ... really gets the brain going (always a good thing!).

13 (edited by Peatle Jville 2019-01-06 22:24:46)

Excellent thread TF.  The music I quiet often like to listen to is by muscians who tell stories in their songs. It never ceases to amaze me some of my favourite  artist here who work hard such as a guy called Derek Lind are more or less unknown here in New Zealand. When he performs he always gets a warm reaction from audiences. The mass media radio station and TV tend to bypass our own artists for popular trending overseas artists. As a result I dont listen to much radio I find it irritating. I have found youtube to be an excellent place to find good music. I find it a fun thing to do going in search of artists that are not well known on youtube finding excellent material by random searching.  I will attach a song here with Derek singing about his dad these are the sort of story telling songs that appeal to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRcGxhsy0ag&t=122s

I like story telling songs that have a good story to tell.

I like melody with a tight rhythm group and a bass groove. Even mellow music, which is primarily what I listen to, should have a bass groove if I'm going to like it. The better the groove and tightness of the rhythm section, the less I need the lyrics to tell a poignant story. The ultimate example of this is that I love Tower of Power's instrumentals.

I don't need the performer to have written the music. There are many good covers out there (example: I prefer Jose Feliciano's version of Light My Fire to The Doors version and I prefer Joe Cocker's version of She Came In Through The Bathroom Window to The Beatles' version), and there are some excellent song-writers I'd just as soon not listen to (Leonard Cohen comes to mind) and some excellent performers who don't write their own music (Randy Travis' big hits early in his career were written by Paul Overstreet).

Much modern Pop music does not have these features, and so I don't much care for it. Vanessa Carlton and Sara Bareilles are two current "radio" pop singers whose music I do like - or at least some of it. However, the music has the features I've mentioned.  Here's a cover by Sara Bareilles where she just knocks it out of the park, in my opinion. She is the rhythm section and bass, but still...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTvnL1j … TvnL1jWNao     

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

I like story telling songs that have a good story to tell.

I like melody with a tight rhythm group and a bass groove. Even mellow music, which is primarily what I listen to, should have a bass groove if I'm going to like it. The better the groove and tightness of the rhythm section, the less I need the lyrics to tell a poignant story. The ultimate example of this is that I love Tower of Power's instrumentals.

I don't need the performer to have written the music. There are many good covers out there (example: I prefer Jose Feliciano's version of Light My Fire to The Doors version and I prefer Joe Cocker's version of She Came In Through The Bathroom Window to The Beatles' version), and there are some excellent song-writers I'd just as soon not listen to (Leonard Cohen comes to mind) and some excellent performers who don't write their own music (Randy Travis' big hits early in his career were written by Paul Overstreet).

Much modern Pop music does not have these features, and so I don't much care for it. Vanessa Carlton and Sara Bareilles are two current "radio" pop singers whose music I do like - or at least some of it. However, the music has the features I've mentioned.  Here's a cover by Sara Bareilles where she just knocks it out of the park, in my opinion. She is the rhythm section and bass, but still...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTvnL1j … TvnL1jWNao

I love good covers!

Maybe we should start a new thread for sharing our favorite covers.     

BGD ... there's a thread in the "Bands & Artists" section called "Excellent Cover Bands" ... it could certainly use a refresh:

https://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=33064     

Zurf

Sara is awesome
that cover of Dock of the bay is fantastic !
That led me to watch about 5 other videos of her. She is awesome.
Elton John said her cover of Yellow brick road was the best he had ever heard.
Thanks for sharing
Jim     

Tenement Funster wrote:

BGD ... there's a thread in the "Bands & Artists" section called "Excellent Cover Bands" ... it could certainly use a refresh:

https://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=33064

Excellent!     

TIGLJK wrote:

Zurf

Sara is awesome
Thanks for sharing
Jim

She does have some originals too, and I think she wrote or was involved in writing them, but not having the liner notes to check I'm not sure.
"King of Anything" and "I Choose You" are the ones I think she's had the most commercial success with.     

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:
TIGLJK wrote:

Zurf

Sara is awesome
Thanks for sharing
Jim

She does have some originals too, and I think she wrote or was involved in writing them, but not having the liner notes to check I'm not sure.
"King of Anything" and "I Choose You" are the ones I think she's had the most commercial success with.

Brave is also a good song. Great message. And she covers In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel, very cool version.     

And I just heard from  friend of mine she is going to be in a Broadway Musical !  Talk about a meteor taking off!     

Zurf thank you for introducing  me to Sara Bareilles music she is a treasure and on stage she makes the songs she cover come alive. She does Yellow Brick Road better than Elton.