Topic: SCORE!

Before auctioning everything off, we kids are siphoning off the things we want from Dad's estate. Mom loved Country music and I have scored some of her excellent CDs. If you aren't interested in old Country, stop reading now.

Some of the titles: "Hello, I'm Johnny Cash," "Chet Atkins - the RCA years," "Bill Monroe Country Music Hall of Fame Series*," "Lester Flatt, Earl Scruggs & The Foggy Mountain Boys," "Sons of the Pioneers Country Music Hall of Fame Series," "Red Foley Country Music Hall of Fame Series," "Willie Nelson Healing Hands of Time," "Patsy Cline Walkin' After Midnight," and "Merle Haggard Good Old Country." As a special bonus, "Neil Diamond Tennessee Moon" 

* Includes our dear old friend Roscoe Jones (in a big white hat) playing with Vassar Clements and Jimmy Martin! None of the songs he co-wrote though. 

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: SCORE!

Great find !  ENJOY !     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Score is right! Very cool. Would love to see the picture of Roscoe on that album if you don't mind texting it to me.     

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Great work, I scored some of my Mum's old LP's when she passed away (15 or so years ago), which included some original pressings of Niel Diamonds', plus others ...     

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic

Congrats, Zurf ... those vintage records will be an ongoing memorial of your Dad ... enjoy!     

6 (edited by Peatle Jville 2019-01-18 20:46:06)

Good one Zurf great way also to keep alive the good music from past years. My dad died back in 1967 and my Mum kept his big  record collection  for years. She then passed them onto me when she moved from her house to a small apartment, as my brothers and sister's weren't interested. Most of them are 78's  and also alot of EPs. Many he brought were  got of seaman who would pickup records for him that we couldnt get here in NZ. Others were ones he brought with him from the UK when he moved here. A couple of my nephews loved those recordings so as my health hasn't been the best in last few years I have passed the collection onto them with the proviso that they offer them to the museum first  if they don't want them any more. The local museum is very keen to have some of them in their collection mostly the rare copies of recordings by forgotten Kiwi entertainers and some the old American Jazz and Blues.plus Old American country music. Many  of the ones you have mentioned above are the sort of thing I like to listen too very cool..

topdown wrote:

Score is right! Very cool. Would love to see the picture of Roscoe on that album if you don't mind texting it to me.

I'll see if it will scan.     

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Who is Roscoe Jones - I could not find anything onhim.  I found a Roscoe Holcomb  that played with Bill Monroe.. Is that the same guy ?
Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

TIGLJK wrote:

Who is Roscoe Jones - I could not find anything onhim.  I found a Roscoe Holcomb  that played with Bill Monroe.. Is that the same guy ?
Jim

Roscoe Jones is snowbird that lived near Topdown and Southpaw over the winter. He showed up at the open mics. He was a "utility rhythm guitar" player who has played with nearly everyone, and he was an original Tennessee Mountain Boy. We used to play the game "Stump Roscoe" by throwing out old country names to see whether Roscoe had played with them. When we tossed out Bill Monroe, the generally taciturn Roscoe gave us a dissertation on the early days of bluegrass. He was in his late 80's and early 90's when Topdown and Southpaw knew him.

Dirty Ed stumped Roscoe with Eddy Arnold, but when he tossed out George Jones, Roscoe's reply was, "Oh Lord yes. I gave him his first guitar and taught him a G chord. George is my nephew."

Mostly though, he was just a heck of a nice guy, and always smiling. He taught a bunch of young(er than him) bucks a little bit about enjoying life.

I'll see if I can drop a link in from SouthPaw's Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/toney.hall.9/v … 091131234/

And a still photo of me on the left, Roscoe in the middle, and Roger Guppy on the right. I expect this picture was taken somewhere between midnight and 2AM on Topdown's back porch. Beamer gets credit for taking the photo.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ … e=5CC30C61