Topic: Finger Picks

Don McLean has always used  a thumb pick, and in this interview he is also using finger picks too. Does any one else use them on a steel string?
Here is a link to how you can see his finger picks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHJH-NQnyrc 

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

Re: Finger Picks

CG
That wasvery  good. Interesting conversation regarding songs - Thats what I like a lot - finding out what was behind the song.

Thanks for sharing

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Although I'm primarily a flat-picker, I use the same set up McClean uses when I finger-pick  ballads. (Plastic thumb pick and metal "banjo" style finger picks).  When I play my Nashville-tuned acoustic the metal finger picks sound much better than a flat pick so that's the only method I use.  I've got metal picks in .013, .015 and .018 thicknesses. 

DE     

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I know one guy who plays a steel  string and he uses a Dunlap thumb pick and Dunlap plastic finger picks and he told me the plastic finger picks sound a little more mellow  and he has a Martin  but I do not know the model number.     

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

I'll usually use a flat pick or my fingers. I went looking for a thumb pick once, but couldn't find one large enough to fit my thumb. I've noticed several other top notch guitarists who use one (Chet Atkins, Don Ross, etc.) and would like to try one. From what I can tell, a thumb pick gives a guitarist the best of both worlds: the ability to do both up & down strokes like a pick, while also having the fingers free to do other things.

I'd also like to buy gloves that I can get on ... they'd be very useful in the winter, but they're rare for hands my size.     

Classical Guitar wrote:

Don McLean has always used  a thumb pick, and in this interview he is also using finger picks too. Does any one else use them on a steel string?
Here is a link to how you can see his finger picks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHJH-NQnyrc

I've tried several different varieties. I just can't get used to them. The Alaska Picks were the closest to something I could see myself using regularly. There was a neat wire based design I ordered. I didn't know they were coming from China! It took quite a long while for the package to arrive, and when it did... well let's just say that my fingers appear to be a good bit larger than the Chinese fingers the picks were designed to fit. A shame.     

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude