1 (edited by Peatle Jville 2019-01-16 06:09:35)

Topic: Time Speed

A twenty nine year old on his birthday made a comment to me, about how quick time has moved since he turned twenty one, got me writing this. It was playing in my head as a song so got home and played it as a song. Link to video I made of it attached. I think it most probably works better as a song instead of a poem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_8cCOJifLs

Time  Speed
There are times when your waiting for things to happen.
Time seems to move real slow.
When your on the go where does time go.
One minute young.
Next minute old.
You see a little flower.
You see something small.
You think how long is it going to take before it grows.
Then before you know it’s fully grown.
Where does time go.
One minute young.
Next minute old.
You see a little flower.
You see something small.
You think how long is it going to take before it grows.
Then before you know it’s fully grown.
Time sometimes slows.
Sometimes speeds up.
But before you know it’s gone.
Make the most of time that your got.

2 (edited by Tenement Funster 2019-01-16 10:04:49)

Re: Time Speed

That's very good, Peatle ... things I think about almost daily.

My Dad had a theory about how much quicker time seems to pass as we get older. When we're 10 years old, a year is a full 10% of our entire life. When we're 20 years old, a year is now only 5% of our lifespan. At 50, the year is now just 2%, so it seems like a lot less relative to our entire life. I dunno if that's how it works within our thoughts, but it makes perfect sense on paper.

And for what it's worth ... I think "Time Speed" stands up quite well as poem, all on its own.

I have to agree with TF, and your good self Peatle, time fly's by as you get older. The run up to Christmas seemed to take forever when I was a pre teenager. Now it seems it's October one minute and January the next.
In my mind I still feel 30, in my body my true age...68 in a few months, and they'll fly by!
So, a great poem and song, gets people thinking and remembering, always a good sign.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I agree with the comments made and this one makes everyone who reads it stop and think.     

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

Good thoughts Peatle !
Well Done

jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

6 (edited by Peatle Jville 2019-01-18 20:12:51)

Cheers thank you everyone for your comments. When I think of time and how it moves The Steve Miller Band song,"Fly Like An Eagle" opening two lines always jumps into my mind
Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'
Into the future.
Many a time when I was  younger working I would wish  it could just be Friday already,' or, 'Once I get through this week I'll feel better. When I was  a child   I use to say things to my nan like “ if only I was older” she would say, “you’ll get there before you know it”.  I use to think shame she is old and doesn’t know what she is saying This kind of thinking is something most of us had  when we were younger wanting or trying to move time faster when things weren’t going to plan. I am guessing  every generation at a young age want to believe that once we move time forward and  jump  the hurdles directly in front of us, the clock will start moving forward faster instead of taking an eternity to pass.  The song  I Don't Like Mondays"  a song by Irish group The Boomtown Rats is an extreme example of not wanting to go through one day Monday. Another song that comes to mind is  The Mamas  & Papas  "Monday, Monday". .I quess now I have retired everyday is a Friday.  I love that saying hard to put a old head on young shoulders. Another saying If I knew what I knew now I would have done things  differantly. I use to hate it when my mother  use to say,”time goes quicker every year I get older. ”  Now I say that myself. A friend of mine from a big family  was brought up on a farm.  He went to his brothers 70th birthday recently.  He told me while there,  talking around a table to all his brothers and sisters they all wished they could turn back the clock and be back in the good old days. The thing they all had in common when they were younger is they couldn’t wait to get older leave the farm and go to the city. Time changes us and how we remember or perceive things. When the Beatles   Sgt.Pepper's Album  came out I remember  listening to When Im 64 and thinking that is an old age and it will take forever to get there. Now Im Sixty Four it doesn’t seem that old.

Nice poem