Topic: Icons and Inspirations

Last night, members of the "Foothill Folk Society" performed at our annual winter concert in the Ohio University - Chillicothe auditorium. This year's theme was "Icons and Inspirations" and each performer did covers of songs from musicians or groups that inspired them to learn to play guitar, write songs, etc.  I've performed every year but bowed out this time as the  pain in my hands from arthritis has affected my guitar playing and I didn't want to embarrass myself on stage, also I wasn't sure I'd be in town this weekend. Hence, although I am a board member,  I wasn't involved with the planning of this year's show.

As it turned out, I made it back to town just in time to walk into the venue as the show was starting.  Imagine my surprise when the show opened with some of the evening's performers grouped together to play a song I wrote a few years ago.  It's the first time I've heard one of my songs performed on stage by someone other than me and I'll have to admit I was grinning ear to ear.

The event was recorded and put on the FFS facebook page. It's a little long (about three hours) but I hope you take the time to listen to some of these folks I have the privilege  to hang out and play music with weekly.

DE

https://www.facebook.com/foothillfolk/v … 340147773/ 

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Re: Icons and Inspirations

I wish the video and sound were a little better.  Each performer brought a bio of the "icons" they were covering and there were two large screens on each side of the stage showing pictures of them.  I just scanned through the video and thought it might help to show the approximate time your favorites may have been covered:

24:15      Steve Goodman songs performed by Mark Thacker
35:30      Greatful Dead songs performed by Zack Brooks (Zack became a member of our group when he was 11 years old)
57:30      Warren Zevon and Neil Young by Mark Sentieri
1:16:00  CSN&Y  by the Davidson family
1:33:00  Chet Adkins by Nevada Hart
1:42:00  Bob Dylan by Rick Barnes (Rick is also an author and story teller as will hear if you listen to his whole set)
1:59:00  Sting and Jeff Tweedy by Mike Boyle
2:17:00  Tom Petty by Ben True and his band     

I bet that did feel good Dirty Ed.

I'd have had to include you in my sets. I get requests for Rich Kid Doctor at campfires here.     

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

4 (edited by Dirty Ed 2019-01-27 14:31:21)

Thanks for including one of my songs in your repertoire  Zurf. I think you told me once that "Rich Kid Doctor" was a song your father liked.  I've heard Philly Ray and Ron Sanders do some of my songs around campfires too, and that was gratifying but the fact that the musicians that played Friday evening chose one of my songs to start off the show was a great moment for me. All of them currently play or have played in bands that have toured around Ohio, some have played in Nashville and as far west as California and are some of the most respected musicians in our area.

It's hard to tell from the video but there were about 250 in the audience.  The good news was that a pickup load of food plus $450 in donations was collected for the local food bank. (One of our annual FFS projects is to help the food bank by asking for food donations during every event.  Last year we were responsible for donating over 6 tons of food to local needy families)

If you don't listen to anything else on the video, at least hear Paul Brown (former driving force for the bluegrass group "Death By Banjo") play "Down the River Road" at around 33:00. 

DE

Very cool DE. You certainly foot the bill for an Icon and Inspiration for those of us lucky enough to share a campfire with you (even those made out of beer cans)! 

https://scontent.ftpa1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/29244123_10215988255169383_9147312435240108032_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent.ftpa1-1.fna&oh=533b15bd8cc5e1a3585a14f58658ea86&oe=5CB99A66     

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I love the picture Topdown. Please send me a high or medium res of it so that I can print it and put it in my office.     

Dirty Ed - Dad did enjoy Rich Kid Doctor. He especially liked the line about kissing a picture.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Thank you DE the "Foothill Folk Society" concert was a wonderful watch and made the start to my week a good one.     

Zurf wrote:

I love the picture Topdown. Please send me a high or medium res of it so that I can print it and put it in my office.

The best I can do is grab the photo from the CS VI facebook event page. Sorry, I no longer have it in my phone.     

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

That must have been a real thrill for you, DE, and I'm glad you were there to hear it. Way to go, dude!     

topdown wrote:
Zurf wrote:

The best I can do is grab the photo from the CS VI facebook event page. Sorry, I no longer have it in my phone.

I'll try v to download and print small.