1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2019-03-26 10:01:29)

Topic: THE COFFEE SHOP

Other conversations among us have inspired this little poem, which is a daily scenario all over the world:

THE COFFEE SHOP

Same old crowd …
I smile and say hello
They nod and smile back
A comment about the weather
A jab at a politician
Or a cheer about last night's game
Same old crowd …

Same old crowd …
There they are again
Looped in a déjà vu chat
They still laugh at recycled jokes
As if they were brand new
They don't tire of each other's company
Same old crowd …

Same old crowd …
Quieter than usual today
Their labored smiles wear frowns
And there's an empty extra chair
Some stare floor-wards
Too bad about Earl, he was … (sob)
Same old crowd …

Same old crowd …
See you in here a lot, join us
I sit with reverence in Earl's chair
Flattered and privileged to be included
Best coffee shop ever
A hub of treasured friends
Same old crowd …

2 (edited by TIGLJK 2019-03-26 10:38:56)

Re: THE COFFEE SHOP

TF

That is fabulous !!
I can picture that happening all over world, especially in rural communities.
It personally struck a chord with me.
About 25 years ago my bother invited me to play poker with his friends. They were all at least 25 years older than I but they were great.  I was asked to fill the chair bc one of their dear friends and colleagues had passed away. Today they have all gone except for my brother, but he does not play anymore.
Yet the other day some younger guys asked me to join them in a game......  same conversations, and as you say   " same old crowd' - except in this case it was "same younger crowd"

That was beautifully written TF
Thank you for sharing.

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

I have to agree with Jim, well observed and written in an entertaining and truthful way. A close friend of mine who played cards every Thursday with the same school sat in the same seats died last year. Another guy, the first reserve, took over and voiced his trepidation sitting in a dead man's chair!
On other tables, like mine, we discuss politics especially Brexit but also lots of other topics. Btw, I'm about the youngest there!
I say again...great poem.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

This one is brilliant and it tells a story so nicely done. How many of our normal posters have a local coffee shop locally almost the same as you described.     

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

TF
excellent poem,i`d love to see more of your writings     

The King Of Audio Torture

TF that is a brilliant piece of writing. I went to a funeral a while back where the son of the man who had died said one of his proudest days was when he was twenty five and his dad let him for the first time  become part of his circle who met at a coffee shop once a week. He said something along the lines of to sit and be part of this group made him feel like he truely had become a man in his fathers eyes.     

Thanks, everyone ...

I'm so pleased that some good memories were brought back for you. Jim is spot on about this being a rural scene, as I live just a couple miles outside of a town of 2,500 people. But as others have said, this sort of thing happens daily all around the world.