Topic: Playing an Instrument is Good For You

Saw this  today.  I apologize if it has been posted previously.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/want … instrument 

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Re: Playing an Instrument is Good For You

Great article, DE ... thanks for posting. This isn't the first time these things have been observed, but it never hurts to get reinforced on something this important from time to time. Music is so good for so many reasons!     

Here's a short video animation on the subject. smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont … 0JKCYZ8hng     

So all of our brains benefit too if any of us need another reason to play.     

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

Well I've known Dirty Ed for a long time, and he me. I haven't seen anything resembling intellectual stimulation and enhancement from him, and I expect he hasn't seen it from me. Maybe the bourbon we share cancels that out.     

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

Well I've known Dirty Ed for a long time, and he me. I haven't seen anything resembling intellectual stimulation and enhancement from him, and I expect he hasn't seen it from me. Maybe the bourbon we share cancels that out.

Are you suggesting the alfluence of incohol may cancel out our limited musical ability?  tongue     

Medical science has proved that alcohol, smoking, greasy food, eating chocolate and taking too many pills cause all sorts of ailments including cancer and dementia! I'm surprised that sex and stepping in doggy deposits on the street haven't yet been blamed. The latest one here is car exhaust fumes. Makes me wonder what simple pleasure we can still enjoy they'll try and take from us next? Let's hope it's not playing music...?     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

unclejoesband wrote:

Here's a short video animation on the subject. smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont … 0JKCYZ8hng

Very good, UJB! I really got a kick out of the various comments left by other viewers, i.e., "Is mayonnaise a musical instrument?" lol     

9 (edited by Tenement Funster 2019-04-03 10:26:09)

Dunno if it's relevant to this conversation, but I've never understood the profound effect that music can have on the emotions. There are numerous purely instrumental pieces of music that reduce me to tears, but there are no words or a message associated ... just the music. The final movement of Camille Saint Saens "3rd Symphony", the guitar solo at the end of David Gilmour's "In Any Tongue", Rawlins Cross "MacPherson's Lament", etc. How or why that happens I don't know, but they always elicit tears of joy or sadness.

TF, I think the emotions that are produced from music are the reasons most of us play.

https://www.bc.edu/content/dam/files/ce … vatory.pdf     

People are living longer and living more of their life in better health than before,yet we are constantly been told that all the things we enjoy are bad for us. So I guess this unhealthy world is good for you. Just like any other muscle in the body, the brain requires exercise to keep it strong and healthy, so the phrase “use it or lose it” is particularly apt when it comes to your mind. Research has shown that listening to or playing music can reduce anxiety, blood pressure, and pain as well as improve sleep quality, mood, mental alertness, and memory. Music therapy is widely implemented in general health care in the Netherlands, so it’s unsurprising that a group of researchers from the country set out to explore the link between music practice and blood pressure. They studied three guitarists and found that each patient who practiced for over 100 minutes a day showed a significant drop in blood pressure and a lower heart rate compared to those who didn’t. I asked a friend of mine who plays piano about 2  to 3 hours a day if he thought if it is good for his brain. He tells me it has been good for remembering music but hasn’t helped his poor memory in other areas. I guess everything is in the mind. When I think I am making music my wife tells me I am just making noise. I wonder why is Repetitive Strain Injury  such a chronic problem among classical players within the music world ? Debilitating pain when I  play guitar or piano has meant I don’t play much now days. So I guess we can’t generalise about whats good for everyone. In this era of political lies I love the way politicians around the world use scientific theory not fact on whats not good for us as another way of taxing everyday people. Back to music I find there are songs I respond to emotionally because they are part of   previous chapters in my life. When I was a child  staying with my grandparents whenever they sang a song together I could feel the power of their love for each other. It was an incredible joy that would come over me and yet they were songs I wouldn’t have listened to in other circumstances.     

"wonderful tonight" is Ann and my "song" and when artistes in our local sing it (i think i'm the only local singer that actually plays it) i get this urgent need to go to the loo! could it be because she wants to dance? i cant dance!!! unless i have to that is.
i don't think i could cope with practicing for 100 minutes a day, maybe that's why i'm a rubbish guitarist? and drummer and pianist and bassist...i'll stop now     

Phill your an excellent musician and singer I love listening to your recordings.     

Thanks Peatle, but I wasn't fishing for compliments just stating a fact. you only hear finished songs, not the raw bits that get edited out. You're a good friend and talented writer. I wish we could meet up one day and spend a bit of time chewing the fat and lubricating the larynx with some amber nectar?     

Peatle ah the ever interesting Peatle,can`t wait till catch at the pub on sunday.
I`m sure you`ll have another interesting lot of facts to share.
As for me, i enjoy just listening,mainly because ya can`t drink and talk at the same time.     

The King Of Audio Torture

16 (edited by Peatle Jville 2019-04-04 09:43:22)

Cheers Phill and Easybeat you both are good men, a drunk man’s words are a sober man’s thoughts.

I think there is something to this notion, I forgot what I was going to say hmm just kidding I have a fair memory I am 77 years young and can still recall most any song along with the lead guitar parts so there must be some truth to this but I think regular practice has a lot to do with it too and just like anything you cannot put it in the closet and take it out when you feel like it and expect your performance level to not suffer.     

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I agree with those who say practice and playing is good for you. The dexterity it takes to play as well as the music is good for you. Who wrote what is also important and the older most get the more they seem to practice not to loose what they gained over the years.     

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

Peatle Jville wrote:

Research has shown that listening to or playing music can reduce anxiety, blood pressure, and pain as well as improve sleep quality, mood, mental alertness, and memory.

Amen, amen, and amen to that!