Re: Tuesday's Flying Fingers

TF  I enjoyed listening to Michael Hedges  and is clean playing and his respect for his guitar. The story of his roaches was funny too but also made his song better.     

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

Pierre Bensusan    "Wu Wei"    (original)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b23L99oBt_Q

French-Algerian guitarist Mr. Bensusan composes / plays exclusively in DADGAD tuning, which would be considered an alternate for most of us.     

Beautifully performed. It's as if each of his fingers has its own little brain as they dance over his fretboard. I read most of the comments below the video and cannot say more than has already been written there - especially the one about "this must be what beauty sounds like".

A question about DADGAD: How does that tuning change a song's originally written chords - or does it at all?

Thanks TF. for this introduction to Pierre Bensusan.

Bill     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Excellent thanks TF. for introducing me to Pierre Bensusan.     

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

A question about DADGAD: How does that tuning change a song's originally written chords - or does it at all?

Thanks TF. for this introduction to Pierre Bensusan.

Bill

The chords are still same (an A is still an A, a C is still a C, etc.), but certainly the way the fingers are used to play them is different. Often called Celtic Tuning, DADGAD is essentially a D-sustain / suspended chord. Think of playing an Esus in regular tuning, then all the of strings drop two frets in tuning. I've got my old Norman set up in DADGAD, but I really don't play it enough to be any good at it.

Tuning a guitar in D A D F# A D is also fun (open D tuning), so you can play the major barre chords all the way up the neck with just your index finger. That leaves the rest of your fingers free to noodle around. A lot of the fingerstyle players use an open tuning of some kind, and open D tuning is also popular with slide guitar players.

Here's an amazing young drummer from Germany (Sina Doering) doing a cover of Iron Butterfly's "In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida" with some friends ... fantastic work by all of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyF5A7BFnqw     

382 (edited by Peatle Jville 2019-04-15 06:22:01)

TF I love the age spread with the group all of them  play their parts perfectly. That young drummer has got a good future.

Cheers, Peatle ... great observation about the age spread. This could easily be a brother, sister, father, and grandfather combo.

NOTE: This was supposed to be in the "Excellent Cover Bands" thread ... ooooops!

Andrew York    "Home"    (original)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ajTcwJBbw4

Over 130 years old, this guitar has been lovingly taken care of by collector Russell Cleveland ... sounds gorgeous in Mr. York's hands!     

385 (edited by Peatle Jville 2019-04-16 11:12:50)

TF Beautiful playing by Andrew York and the tone of that guitar magic.

386 (edited by TIGLJK 2019-04-16 11:16:40)

TF -Sina is terrific !  And so young I listened to several other videos of her - wow, just wow!

Bill - that drop D tuning makes Barre chords easier - one finger -   I gotta try that - thanks for the tip.

Peatle - If you want to see another example of old and new together - check out this group of family and friends singers called Foxes and fossils
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S23VK1v9dB8      They were awesome -  that's right - WERE !   The girls got older went to college and now the group is defunct - except for gatherings when they all come home.

TF again - That guitar is like a great wine - better with age   The angle he holds it - does that make it easier to play ?
Love the passion on his face while playing - very cool and plays like silk!

Thanks to all you boys !
Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Great cover band and really better than they appear at first sight. Good work .     

Cheers Jim Foxes and fossils I enjoyed their harmonies brilliant. Be good if they got together again for old time sake great line up and the two guitars and bass work perfect..     

TIGLJK wrote:

TF - The angle he holds it - does that make it easier to play ?

Very observant about the angle, TIG.

I switched to something close to that several years ago, as the ol' arthritis began to afflict my hands. Wish I'd done it years ago! It makes for a very natural angle for the wrist, hand, and fingers, and has pretty much taken the discomfort out of playing.     

Some change the angle for comfort. With a classical guitar using the left leg to play gives a better angle for picking  and also so you left hand is more comfortable.  It also means your skin stays away from the guitar. I have seen some playing classical guitar using the right leg more like some steel string. I tired the right leg but the angle of my hand was the problem. So it is left leg for me however I have never used a lift on my left leg. Twisting your spin has never been comfortable for me.     

Benjamin Woods    "Malaguena"    (original by Ernesto Lecuona)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3jWsoQ8W8g

This piece was originally composed for piano, and this is Ben's flamboyant flamenco-style arrangement.     

392 (edited by Classical Guitar 2019-04-23 16:46:24)

Tenement Funster nice find and he is  very good. I am seeing more true classical guitar players using their right leg without a lift. I have tried it some lately and it is easier for you right  hand the real problem I have had us keeping my right hand off the  Classical  Guitar. Although with more practice it might work. I am also one who never looks at my hand and never has. I as most look at the audience. All true classical guitars are exactly the same  size so if you know what you are playing looking at your hand just does not help.

Good points about positioning, CG.

I play several different types guitars (acoustic, electric, bass) and the body size, neck width, scale length, etc. all give me fits for a moment when I switch from one to another. Keeps life interesting! big_smile     

Jan Akkerman    "Fantasie for Lute"    (original)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvyB2-jdb_E

Strummerboy Bill mentioned the Netherland's group "Focus" recently, and here's of their guitarist (Jan Akkerman) playing a lute.

I enjoyed listening to this tune, TF. Very pleasing and it took me to an imaginary Renaissance castle in my mind. smile

I looked at this instrument and am wondering if it's authentic - meaning it has no truss bar - or if it has been modernized? If authentic, that thing must be extremely difficult to keep in tune, being it is a double-stringed, one octave-higher than the previous string lute?

Also, I let the video play through and the next clip was Jan playing with Paco De Lucia - another virtuoso, who has since passed away. The notes state, the two had only just met and didn't speak each others' language. They sure made up for that with the improvisation they played.

Great choice, my friend and I'd like to hear more lute music sometime.

Bill     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Jan Akkerman    "Fantasie for Lute   I have  not heard him  before but thought he was great. The lute is not an easy instrument to play. Nicely done TF good choice for us all to learn more about the lute.     

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

I looked at this instrument and am wondering if it's authentic - meaning it has no truss bar - or if it has been modernized? If authentic, that thing must be extremely difficult to keep in tune, being it is a double-stringed, one octave-higher than the previous string lute?

Bill

Good question about the truss rod, Bill ... I have no idea. My uninformed thought would be that it may not need one, with the neck being so short ... dunno. Known primarily for his electric guitar work with "Focus", I thought it was interesting that he can also play this substantially different instrument so well. And you're right about the tuning ... I would imagine it takes some time and patience.

Multi-instrumentalists are fascinating! Two standouts for me are Ray Shulman and Kerry Minnear (Gentle Giant) who had intimidating versatility and skill with many very different instruments.

Christie Lenee   "Raining a Miracle"    (original)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD79NEVyRTU

Christie is the 2017 International Fingerstyle Guitar Champion, a competition which will be held this year in Winfield, Kansas in September. She incorporates beautifully delicate technique and innovation into her playing.

399 (edited by Classical Guitar 2019-05-07 15:20:05)

She is interesting but she could not use that type of taping if  it did not have an electric pickup. I watched  others by her and  her just playing is really good too. I had not seen the technique before and it look like it was made to tap that way. Good find TF.

Is she just performing or competing here? If it's a "Fingerstyle Competition" she's in, then she's only "half-fingering", right? The part making the chords, I mean.

To someone who has never seen this style of playing before (me), that thing looks like a joint. Not intentionally making fun, TF - it's just the first thing I thought of when I saw it in her hand. If any hard-core Grateful Dead fans saw this, they may have thought the same thing.

As far as the playing, you could tell she loves her music and that guitar looks like one of a kind. I wish I had been more familiar with the song she was playing - never heard it before - so I can't really comment on the music part of it.

Thanks

Bill     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass