1 (edited by beamer 2019-04-29 15:03:25)

Topic: 2004 Gibson Explorer

I have talked about this guitar before.   Last night I decided to do some sound bites.  Its' about 5 min long.

YES its a TONE MONSTER!!!! I love this guitar.  slightly nudges out my Tradition LP.  Both are  in the 1 and 2 slots.

It's You Tube sound recorded on my Samsung tablet.

(YES!  I'm in my DC PJ's big_smile  )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuBEGU9VqOI

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Re: 2004 Gibson Explorer

I have always wanted one of those. I'm jealous. Sounds good.

Also, nice doggo.     

3 (edited by Tenement Funster 2019-04-30 09:28:25)

Nice growl to that beauty, Beamer

I still recall Ace Frehley's with a bunch of extra picks stuck to the bottom edge ... must've dropped a lot of them. I expect the heroes of the DC Universe are saluting you! What do you have for pickups in that?

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/e2/4d/aa/e24daadb61d895a8ed58313a424ca4f0.jpg

Tenement Funster wrote:

Nice growl to that beauty, Beamer

I still recall Ace Frehley's with a bunch of extra picks stuck to the bottom edge ... must've dropped a lot of them. I expect the heroes of the DC Universe are saluting you! What do you have for pickups in that?

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/e2/4d/aa/e24daadb61d895a8ed58313a424ca4f0.jpg

TF, the sad part is that is not ACE. Its Tommy (fake Ace) Thayer.

When getting the guitar, Eric, the owner and my guitar tech at the music store, wanted to keep what was in it. so i bought some GFS Crunchy Rails.  They are pretty awesome. quoted from website 
"The GFS "Crunchy Rails" are wound the hottest of any GFS humbucker.

We start with our twin stainless steel rails, polished to a high luster. We wind these as hot as we can- a ferocious 16.2K for the bridge and a strong 10.4K for the neck. The Crunchy Rails are tighter, more focused versions of our Power Rails- and work the best with a good FAT amplifier. Through a Soldano, VHT or Triple Recto they’re just amazing!

Make no mistake- there’s no vintage stuff going on here- these slam HARD. The mid-range is relaxed- not quite a “Scoop” but you get the picture. High end and bottom end are pronounced- even old fashioned amps sound supercharged with a pair of Crunchy Rails driving them. If you’re playing through a thinner sounding amp then choose our Power Rails- If your amp is happening, these are your pickups."

A lot of ppl compare them to the Duncan JB Players and they are so much fatter!     

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

5 (edited by Tenement Funster 2019-05-01 09:00:43)

Ahhhh ... now I remember you talking about putting GFS "Crunchy Rails" in when you were doing the re-build. The results speak for themselves! big_smile I didn't follow KISS that closely, and wasn't aware that the original Ace Frehley was replaced by Tommy Thayer ... always great to learn something. The makeup worked!

Tenement Funster wrote:

Ahhhh ... now I remember you talking about putting GFS "Crunchy Rails" in when you were doing the re-build. The results speak for themselves! big_smile I didn't follow KISS that closely, and wasn't aware that the original Ace Frehley was replaced by Tommy Thayer ... always great to learn something. The makeup worked!

Ace leases the rights to his makeup and the KISS logo that he designed.