Topic: C.B.E. Question

So many rock stars have been given this honorary title and I was wondering what would happen if England were to get into a war the size of WWII again. Since they're commanders, can they be called up into military service?

Could Paul McCartney actually become "Admiral Halsey"???? smile

Just kidding.

Bill 

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: C.B.E. Question

Bill I think Paul could become Admiral Halsey as long as they provided him with a cup of tea and a butter pie.        .

Opps the kettle's on the boil, and Im about to be put  away.

Love it made my Sunday morning start with a good laugh.     

Great question, Bill ...

If I understand it correctly, the CBE designation is conferred on people who have made positive long-term contributions to society via their field of expertise. I don't think it means they're automatically Brigadier Generals, with firing codes to the nation's nuclear arsenal or anything like that. big_smile

Here in "the great white north" we have something similar called "The Order of Canada", which is bestowed on people (sometimes posthumously) for their profound impacts on Canadian society. Most of them are well deserved, some are more than a little subjective, and some others even seem to be an inner-circle of friends in some "mutual admiration society".     

4 (edited by Phill Williams 2019-05-06 08:57:54)

What's annoying is that there are people with hereditary titles, chestfull of medals and honours and land gifted to them from the time of William the conqueror. The only thing they've done for the country or commonwealth is get fat on moneys, taxes and moving the jobs to countries where people can be exploited and paid a bowl of rice for a days hard work. And of course killing the earth with the pollution their dirty factories produce in the name of growth and profitability. The only retribution I guess is that they will choke to death just like us poor people.

End of rant.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.