Topic: So You Wanna Time-Travel........

........back to the middle ages and play your lute as a busking musician, eh?

Well, first you need to be aware that if people think you're a bad musician you can be reported, arrested and punished for that.

You could be made to wear the "Shame-Flute" which is a kind of mask which encircles your neck and encloses your fingers down its length, and you have to walk around wearing that thing.

https://beta-static.photobucket.com/images/ff71/Drummerboy49/0/d77a6158-326e-49b4-92cb-a00ba08a6ca0-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

https://beta-static.photobucket.com/images/ff71/Drummerboy49/0/9d6fbdec-b2c5-449c-85a4-3705c64bcc64-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

The punishment imposed can be for playing badly, out of tune, or even singing lyrics which are frowned upon.

My hometown in Germany has the "Kriminal Museum" which features this mask and many others used for punishment. There's even one for quarreling females. It encircles both their necks, so where one goes, the other goes, and yes, they're vociferously shamed on the streets.

After all, those folks had no television, movie houses or internet.

Still wanna play for the medieval folks? smile

Bill 

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: So You Wanna Time-Travel........

In medieval Wales musicians were celebrated, though I expect bad ones didn't fare so well! I was taught at school that North Wales had the poet's and the South boasted the singers. And so to unite the two halves of the country a wise and noble king came up with the now world famous Eisteddfod where only the best performed and gifts bestowed on the greatest. Choires, dancers, bards and performers of all kinds the world over now come to perform. I took part myself....when I was 10, don't tell anyone, I also performed in the Royal Albert Hall in London.
Legend also says that Merlin was a great bard and harpist, must have been a sideline?     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

That either made you very good or not that many would even try sideline or not.     

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

That's incredible, Bill ... isn't it amazing at how barbaric humans can be to one another ?!?! This is taking "the punishment should fit the crime" principle to a whole new realm. I can think of a whole bunch of pop / hip hop "artists" that should be wearing these. Do they come in case lots? Is there a discount for bulk buys? lol     

I can think of a few modern musicians I’d like to send a shame flute. 

Are the shame devices instrument-specific? A shame piano would be torture to carry, but a shame piccolo doesn't sound too bad.  Maybe this informed instrument choice back in the day.

Finally, I didn’t realize Motown artists were paying tribute to Germany when they sang of the shame-a-lama-ding-dong.  smile     

6 (edited by Peatle Jville 2019-05-08 05:26:09)

I remember at school our music teacher taking great delight in telling us about Castrato's. For many years, boys and men would use castration as a means to keep their voices at a higher pitch. These opera singers were known as the castrati, and were prevalent during the Baroque period. The castrati were composed of male singers who were sopranos and altos. Men/boys were castrated during the 17th and 18th century in Europe. The boys would engage in castration as young as eight years old to ensure that their vocal chords would not mature,.This was highly prevalent because during this time, women were not allowed to sing in accordance to the Catholic Church’s strict guidelines back then. Therefore it was necessary for some men to have higher pitched voices to make up for the absences of women. Not every boy or man was castrated,  as they were handpicked based upon their singing capabilities  With a voice like mine I would have been saved from castration back then.  The last known castrato was Alessandro Moreschi. Castration was outlawed in 1870 by the Italian government. Moreschi’s voice was the only captured and recorded voice of castrati in 1902.

Our Loremaster comes through again! That's an amazing piece of history, Peatle, which I was never aware of. The next time I hear a boys choir sing "I Saw Three Ships Come Sailing In" at Christmas-time, I'll be wincing and cringing. lol     

Peatle - Ditto what TF said - 

Holy Moly - I cannot imagine someone convincing me to do that just to sing!     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

9 (edited by TIGLJK 2019-05-08 10:23:05)

AS this great topic was about time traveling - here is a hypothetical proposition  I often propose to my students....
I thought it might be interesting to ask here in this thread as well.

"You have been given the gift of one time travel..... you have the ability to go back in time and witness one and only one historical event. You cannot interfere or change the outcome, only witness it. after the event you will return to the present time.    What event would you choose and why? "

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

i'd like to be at that garden fete where lennon and mccartney met, that's the where and the why     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

TIGLJK wrote:

"You have been given the gift of one time travel..... you have the ability to go back in time and witness one and only one historical event. You cannot interfere or change the outcome, only witness it. after the event you will return to the present time.    What event would you choose and why? "

Well, if I get to know and understand stuff about dementia and how it was perceived back then, I'd like to see the premiere of Ludwig Van Beethoven's "Fifth Symphony".

I put those caveats in there because I believe that in addition to his deafness he also suffered from dementia. Probably what we would call "Alzheimer's" today.

He overcame many obstacles during his lifetime and I would have liked being there for the performance of what is considered his most famous symphony.

A bit of trivia (I fancy myself an amateur "Beethoven Scholar" smile  )

Those first four notes represent "fate knocking at the door".     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

12 (edited by Peatle Jville 2019-05-09 04:19:32)

Jim Wrote. AS this great topic was about time traveling - here is a hypothetical proposition  I often propose to my students....
I thought it might be interesting to ask here in this thread as well.
Excellent question Jim for me I would like to go to Woodstock back in 1969. I would love to see and experience the atmosphere . Also for all the great artists that played their.

If I could time travel I would want want to meet Andrés Segovia (1893-1987) is considered to be the father of the modern classical guitar . Without him most likely people like me would not truly exit.     

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

I am glad not to live in the era of shame flutes. Strange the effort people went through to be cruel.

As for the travel question, I think I would like to be among some of the White explorers of the Shenandoah Valley. To see it when it was fresh, when the tribal people living there named it "Daughter of the Stars" because of how the water sparkled and glistened, to cast a fly to big fish who had never seen one. I think that would be glorious.     

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

If I could observe one historical event it would be  August 17, 1805 in the Rocky Mountains when the Lewis and Clark expedition met with Cameahwait, the chief of the Shoshone Indians.  They needed horses to carry their gear across the mountains to the headwaters of the Columbia River or the expedition would fail. To communicate, the Captains would speak English which was then translated to French by Francois Labiche, an expedition member who could speak French and English. Toussaint Charbonneau translated from French to Gros Ventre (another tribal language) and his wife Sacagawea then translated Gros Ventre to Shoshone. When Cameahwait spoke, the whole translation system was reversed.  If something was lost in the translation, the "Corps of Discovery" would have failed in their effort to reach the Pacific coast.

During the meeting, Sacagawea, a Shoshone girl who had been captured by the Gros Ventres when she was a child, realized that Chief Cameahwait was her brother. After an emotional reunion, there was no doubt that the Shoshones would help their chief's long-lost sister and her friends.     

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Set my time travel coordinates for the creation got a few questions I need answered     

out of tune out of key and out of touch

yea - i'm close to Mojo on this one

I would like to see crucifixion, rising from tomb, any of the miracles, or Moses parting the sea

I'm a believer- but man - to witness that - a different dimension.

I always wonder if the people that did witness it - knew what the heck they saw and how significant it was