51 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2019-05-12 16:46:32)

Re: Blues Friday New Page

In the late 60's, my bandmates and I discovered a radio station out of Nashville, Tennessee - WLAC-AM, which, during the night would play music such as this Etta James cover. This excellent version put me in mind of those nights, lying in bed with my transistor radio, one earphone plugged in, going to sleep with the blues and being sure that this was more important than that homework assignment which wasn't done.

I am including a snippet from Wikipedia about this famous radio station's history, and some of the dj's who carried me through many a night. Gov't Mule is a prime example of white boys who can play the blues! Excellent choice,. CG.

"In the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s, WLAC was legendary for its quartet of nighttime rhythm and blues shows hosted by Gene Nobles, "John R." (John Richbourg), Herman Grizzard, and Bill "Hossman" (or simply "Hoss") Allen. Thanks to the station's clear channel designation, the signal reached most of the Eastern and Midwestern United States. WLAC described itself as the nighttime station for half the nation with African-American listeners, especially in the Deep South as the intended audience of the programs.[5] Further, several foreign countries, particularly islands in the Caribbean and southern Canada, were within range of the station's nighttime signal; the music heard on WLAC played a notable role in the development of ska music as a result.[6] WLAC was also popular with some young white teenagers. Radio historians believe that the nightly "Rhythm and blues" WLAC shows, in part, laid the foundational audience for the rock and roll phenomenon that began in the late 1950s.

Nobles began the move, in 1946, to play what were considered at the time "race" records, a euphemism intended to deter supposedly respectable audiences. But he and the others reached large numbers of African-American listeners in places like the Mississippi Delta, the Carolina Lowcountry, Louisiana, Chicago, and Detroit, people whom practically no other radio stations were serving. Gradually phasing in artists like Amos Milburn, Chuck Berry, and Fats Domino in the early 1950s to supplement the big-band artists of the era such as Tommy Dorsey and Glenn Miller, the WLAC announcers presided over the development of what became "rhythm and blues" music. They did this mainly to attract advertisers who serviced the African-American community, such as hair-care products like Royal Crown Hair Pomade or chicken hatcheries, which packaged baby scrub roosters and other undesirable stock in large quantities for sale. The disc jockeys developed a reputation for colorfully pitching those products on-air; some product slogans lent themselves to sexually suggestive double entendres, which only increased the announcers' popularity among teen listeners. The deejays conducted the advertising sales on a "per inquiry", or commission, basis, meaning that the station did not rely on traditional ratings to gauge the programs' successes."

There are some cd's of the music featured on the station. One is called "Night Train To Nashville" and the other is "Night Train To Nashville 2". Available on Amazon, they're  considered essential tor folks who love rhythm 'n blues.

EDITED TO ADD: Another cd set featuring WLAC music is called "Ernie's Record Mart" - also available from Amazon. If you like rock 'n roll, then this is it - in its infancy.

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Bill

No kidding here - I was in my car yesterday and listening to Outlaw Country  station 60 on sirius xm  and they played
Night Taain to Nashville and I said to myself,  that is an awesome song.
check these  out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-XepQFtOQg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF5ZnxYLLqA

Good info - as a history teacher I just love this kind if stuff.

Thanks for sharing- you always have a way to get me going -    and tell that good looking gal Dondra I said  hello!

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Wow! I don't know you found this, Jim, but those are some awesome videos, thanks!!!!!

If anyone else is checking these out, on the first one - the first song - ("Shotgun") watch the guitarist on the far left. That's Jimi Hendrix.

Thanks again for the treat, Jim.     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

This Friday's Blues Fix is is The Blues Mystery -Has Humankind Lost Its Soul?   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL4DZyd … mp;index=9

Also The Blues Mystery -Time to Forgive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN5EjK4 … p;index=30

They are  still current and touring and just released a new CD.  Hope you enjoy them.     

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

From Portugal, these guys are awesome! I listened to both cuts and then to some of their other selections listed on YT, and really liked this one as well. Great blues, great band, great choice. Thanks, CG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=109uO2E … mp;index=1     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Thank you Bill. They are from the US and  Switzerlandand might have been touring . All songs are sung in English. Their website is in the US.  One of  former members is living in England.     

CG

I liked the songs - especially Time to forgive

Thanks for the good finds.
Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

TIGLJK wrote:

CG

I liked the songs - especially Time to forgive

Thanks for the good finds.
Jim

Thank you Jim you licking it means so much to me.     

That's some great music, CG ... thank you muchly! I'd never heard of these guys, and gotta say Switzerland isn't the first country I think when it comes to good blues bands; and these guys are really good!     

Wow - Bill I just listened to that song Back to the Dirty town - it was frigging AWESOME !!

I really loved the artwork in the video also.

CG and Bill - this was a great posting of fabulous music!  THANKS AGAIN  !!!     smile  smile

Jim     

CG, sorry. In hindsight, (I seem to have my best vision from that area)  I think one of the commenters was from Portugal - not the band. I stand redacted.

Great group though!

If I weren't spending my money on the  "Dr. Feelgood" box set, I'd buy that cd.     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

It happens so do not worry about it. I had listened to all of their previous CD's and at least to me I listed what sounded like the best 2 to list and I also read a lot about the group. I try very hard to cover all my basis before I list a group. I am more impressed that you realized it was from a post by someone else.     

63 (edited by Classical Guitar 2019-05-24 07:53:37)

This Friday  is The Nortons - Married to the Blues     Her voice and bass playing is great. She is current and is on tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R8AFv2WB1Y

Also here is a small guy who happened to be in  a guitar shop.   In a few more years he may be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1pwnb0NpQw

She has a classic "old" blues voice. This is 2 am smoky bar music and I love it.     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

65 (edited by Classical Guitar 2019-05-24 19:58:48)

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

She has a classic "old" blues voice. This is 2 am smoky bar music and I love it.

Thank you Bill. The Nortons  are a family group, one brother plays the drums, one plays guitar, and she sings and plays bass and the perfect voice for blues and your comments are very much appreciated.

66 (edited by Peatle Jville 2019-05-24 23:36:55)

CG I love her voice and the organ guitar sound with a good bit of pounding brass bits. Magic

Peatle Jville wrote:

CG I love her voice and the organ guitar sound with a good bit of pounding brass bits. Magic

I am so glad  you took time to listen to her and liked what you heard. She is very talented and just released a new CD.     

The Norton's are fantastic, CG ... thanks for introducing them. But that clip of the youngster singing really made me smile. Just the fact that he would want to hang out with some other music folk much older than he is, and enjoy doing some blues together, says a lot. Really enjoyed both clips ... thank-you!

CG Great find
Check out this live Performance by the Norton's in West Virginia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTjmf8a … ALWVZZ6fAl
This girl has unbelievable passion for the blues -it's like she is living and feeling  every note.  The fact that she is a left handed guitarist made it interesting-  as well as the great aesthetics - you' ll see what I mean when you watch it ! smile

The kid in the guitar shop - that is like a one person flash mob !  Good stuff brother - keep'em coming!!
Jim     

Jim thank you and the one you posted  from  West VA was great. She kind of reminds me  of an early Janis Joplin in the way she feels what she sings.     

This week the Friday's Blues Fix is John Mayall and The Bluesbreakers- Mists Of Time - Stories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmyoDqb … mp;index=9

John is still touring and this is from his website:  https://www.johnmayall.com/bio     

Great choice, CG ... fantastic! The last verse profoundly summarizes the backdrop of life that goes into so much great music:

"So far my life's a journey
And I wouldn't change for anything
All those years of bold adventures
The highs and lows that make me sing
Within the swirling mists of time
Such sweet memories still often ring."

(written by John Mayall)

This is first class; thanks for sharing!     

73 (edited by Classical Guitar 2019-05-31 13:18:41)

Thank you TF glad you liked him an his quote.

This Friday isJoe Bonamassa - Different Shades Of Blue - Official Videoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7-CTdeRk2s

He is current and his tour schedule is on  web site:  https://shop.jbonamassa.com/     

CG- Great way to start the weekend !  Terrific song and excellent musical performance.
Thanks for sharing this baby !!
Jim