401 (edited by Peatle Jville 2019-05-08 05:00:30)

Re: Tuesday's Flying Fingers

Christie  was interesting  to watch and listen to. I guess the technology  around her feet also added to the sound?

Peatle ... I guess the use of effects isn't only reserved for electric guitarists, and adding some reverb, delay, sustain, etc. also works well with other types of guitars and instruments. In studio, the sound engineer can do most of this; but when performed live as a solo act, then the guitarist has to do it all ... if they want them. Some would obviously prefer the pure sound of the guitar on it's own, but personally I like some creativity. Effects or not, the outcome here is a beautiful original piece Christie that wrote & performed.

CG ... you're 100% correct that a pickup is certainly necessary for a lot of what many finger-stylists do. As per the comments on effects, obviously they're useless without a pickup. Two of my acoustics have pickups, and they're not only useful for amplification. Adding some effects is sometimes interesting as long as it's not overdone ... however a person would subjectively term what that means. I personally like to add a barely perceptible bit of reverb and phaser when playing some acoustic songs. The opening 12-string acoustic guitar section of Led Zeppelin's "Over the Hills and Far Away" sounds amazing with a bit of these two.

Bill ... this clip isn't from the actual competition that she won in 2017. I grinned about your comment that her little mallet looks like a reefer at first glance ... good one. It's just another way of hitting the strings to produce a sound, and in this case she's able to bounce it quickly on the strings to create the "raining" effect as per the song title. Isn't a guitar an amazingly versatile instrument? Whether we use our fingers, flat picks, thumb picks, finger picks, glass or metal slides, or even a violin bow, there are so many ways for an artist to create music with unique sounds ... viva le gitarre!

Thanks for the comments and the interesting observations ... stimulating stuff!

I never had even heard of this before - to see it was really strange.

Good stuff - interesting style.
Thanks TF     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

404 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2019-05-08 14:06:01)

Back to the peripherals: Looking at them, the mallet, and her fingerings of that 12 string - well,  she'd make a good drummer, wouldn't she? Not to mention the great physical work-out she could achieve using both feet.

Okay, I am seeing it in comical vein, now, aren't I?  smile

One thing:  I didn't check out the other vids, but does she sing as well? From the video, I know she yelps every now and then.

That would be taking multi-tasking to a whole new level, wouldn't it? smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Karlijn Langendijk & Tim Urbanus    "Fragile"    (originally by Sting & The Police)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRcseUpSAr8

Lots to like about this musically picturesque duet, but especially Karlijn's beautifully done harmonics at the start.     

406 (edited by Classical Guitar 2019-05-14 15:26:30)

TF both of them were great and both were playing Martins and were really clean players. I had not heard them before and honestly enjoyed  watching them. They played together as if they did so each day and both used thumb picks.  Nice find.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

That was great to listen to. I believe those aren't Martins they are playing CG.  They look like  Maton's Tommy Emmanuel models.     

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

DE you are correct - they are Australian built Matons     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

I apologize I misread them so thank you for correcting me and I am sincere in that.  I still thought their sound was great.     

CG - THE MUSIC WAS INDEED FANTASTIC - THANKS FOR THE SHARING OF SUCH TALENT     

Ewan Dobson    "Seduced & Beaten With Hammers"    (original)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0vY_2DZGoY

I haven't a clue as to what the title means, but this is some striking composition / playing from one of my favorite fingerstylists.     

Ewan Dobson was fun watch.  All though he made some string noise I doubt he could hear it and his playing was clear without tricks so he respected his guitar.  Very nice choice.     

Yes, I agree - very talented
That title still has me puzzled however - and on that "note"  - for all of you musicians - especially you CG ---
if  a musical piece has no lyrics - how does one come up with a title ?

Good music - thanks for sharing ?     

It usually means what the song is to the playing who does several songs. It took me 5 years and I wrote 25 original songs. Many were written and named after people  and the rest are named odes or sonnets. It means more to me to know what song I play and still  I recorded a CD with  alll of them on it.     

Ewan's an admitted heavy metal fan, so the E-string rhythm he lays down in this may have reminded him of something in that genre ... who knows?     

Kelly Valleau    "Roxanne"    (by Sting & The Police)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8l8uRc-eNs

A relaxing, laid back version of this classic from 1978.  Kelly has such a gentle style, and plays with such ease.     

TF
That is awesome. It sounds to me like there's two or three guitars playing .
So smooth and beautiful - I'm sooooo jealous !
Jim     

He is smooth and very good. Enjoyed watching him. It looked like he had a new guide of some type added and it his guitar that might be extra protection  for his thumb. Just  a guess.     

Good eye, CG ... I noticed that and wondered what it might be. Some people add various pads or pieces of wood for percussion strike points, instead of damaging their guitars. I think it's an excellent idea.     

Before I even began listening (and as I do with most instrumental groups, such as The ventures), I asked myself, "Okay, how's he gonna turn 'Roooooxannnne' into a musical phrase?" I was pleasantly surprised to hear it played in an "understated" way, just as part of the music, and if I hadn't known the song had lyrics, I would have accepted it as a total instrumental. He's very good!     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Tommy Emmanuel    "Blue Moon"    (written by Rogers & Hart, 1934)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0IY3Ax2PkY

There aren't many musicians who genuinely enjoy entertaining people more than Tommy, and few do it any better.     

422 (edited by Classical Guitar 2019-06-04 13:45:27)

He is a great choice and a true legend. Thank you TF you have always entertained us all.

Gabriella Quevedo    "We Are the Champions"    (original by Queen)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mr5HD663GU

An appealing arrangement & performance of this Queen classic, by Sweden's talented young finger stylist.

Gabriella Quevedo    playing  was excellent and very clean. She did We Are the Champions as good as any classical guitar trained guitar player including me. Great choice. I had not seen her before.     

Glad you enjoyed her, CG. Her online bio says she's only 22, and never really started playing until she was 12. She's obviously had good training and practices a lot, yet has a very relaxed / natural presentation ... good technique without being too mechanical.