1 (edited by TIGLJK 2019-06-01 12:40:19)

Topic: Unique Instrument

Hahahaha

I was just trolling youtube for interesting songs....

These guys from Sydney, Australia have a guitar on the wall that is way cool.  They play the Uke (that has the bent neck as was discussed in another thread) , Mandolin, and one heck of a cool looking bass that I have never seen before.
The wall behind them has violins, banjo and another Mando.
Looks and sounds like they had a lot of fun playing this parody song - and of course the beer on the  shelf is an add-on. smile
I would've liked to played in that session.

Does anyone know what that bass is called ? I think he said it in the intro - but I can't catch the name.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am0cX9j … p;index=11

enjoy

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Re: Unique Instrument

How cool! I did some googlin.  Looks to be a bass banjo!

http://www.xstrange.com/bassbanjo.htm     

Update: In the intro he calls it a funny lookin homemade bass.     

Hi Jim, good spot, very funny.
the bass looks like a Fender arm tacked onto a block of wood and a pick-up stuck on! What the round thing is I cant say or what use it is.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

"Banjozilla" ---- I enjoyed reading about how he constructed it and looking at his photos. The one captioned "Banjozilla tries to blend into the crowd in Topanga", I found especially humorous.

Incidentally, at the top of that page is a section marked "Other Instruments". I clicked on it to see what else he's invented and was greeted with one of those, "Attention! This computer virus is sending your credit card info......."  voice announcements, so be careful about clicking on that section. I got out of it as quick as I could.     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

6 (edited by Tenement Funster 2019-06-04 10:17:35)

That's a unique instrument, for sure ... it looks like a collection of unfinished ideas, but must have been fun to build. Having the body block mounted on the kick drum body would give it lots of "boom" even when not miked.