1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2019-06-08 03:23:29)

Topic: Riffs That Knot Your Fingers

There are some single note riffs which I find always tie my fingers in knots, even though I've been playing them for years. The worst ones are:

1) The opening riff from "Skating Away" by Jethro Tull (while singing "Meanwhile back in the year one")

2) The opening riff from "Life of Illusion" by Joe Walsh (I play it in standard tuning)

3) "Immigrant Song" by Led Zeppelin (can rarely manage to mute the A-string consistently)

I've worked out the fingering to make them work, but just can't execute with consistency. Any others care to confess the songs that tie their fingers up?

Re: Riffs That Knot Your Fingers

The opening for End of the Line by the Travilng Wilburys. George Harrison came up with a very tasty lick it uses a D chord form (open) and alternates with a major F chord form (two fingers) and another form in a rapid change up and down I am able to play it on my light stringed guitars but struggle on the acoustics.     

"Growing old is not for sissies"

lol
every song I play !  smile

Hey Russel - good to hear from you !   How ya doing?

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

4 (edited by Phill Williams 2019-06-10 19:15:45)

These days I get that on most songs. Since I retired I've put on a few pounds and most seem to have gone to my fingers. When I mess up during a gig I just say "I haven't practiced that for a while" which is probably true anyway. I like simple riffs like Smoke on the water or Don't stop believing.     

*edited to rectify predictive text mess ups*

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

The opening riff to Don't fear the Reaper. I start off fine but then get tied in knots after repeating it several times.
Another one is Hey Hey My My. Theirs two parts to the riff and I manage to mix them up.     

Thick as two short planks

TIGLJK wrote:

lol
every song I play !  smile

Hey Russel - good to hear from you !   How ya doing?

Jim

Hanging in there Jim I do have several new original songs that are being recorded in my buddys basement enough for a CD but lots of mixing will be necessary before I can have the tracks sent out to be mastered. Other then that I am studying a lot of chess book and playing in online games to keep my mind sharp. smile     

Phill Williams wrote:

These days I get that on most songs. Since I retired I've put on a few pounds and most seem to have gone to my fingers. When I need up during a big I just say "I haven't practiced that for a while" which is probably true anyway. I like simple riffs like Smoke on the water or Don't stop believing.

yep me too it's called "ageing" good to see your still kicking smile     

I'm still kicking Russ, glad to see you are too and back recording. Any news on the band front?     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Phill Williams wrote:

I'm still kicking Russ, glad to see you are too and back recording. Any news on the band front?

Good to hear Phill,  Yeah I'm sorrta getting another shot at it I'ts tough getting people to commit most of them have a lot of other projects and stuff and I have been using my Alesis SR-16 for drum tracks it does a fairly good job but not like a real person smile