Topic: HEARING Protection

Do you use any hearing protection for an electric guitar or if you play in a band? It seems like more and more are having the same hearing loss to some degree from loader sounds. I have noticed some who play in a band  seam to talk louder and louder in order to hear them self or who they are talking with at any time. 

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

Re: HEARING Protection

Terrific idea to ask this question, CG, and it's something performing musicians need to think about seriously.

I don't play in a band and usually don't play very loud at home. However I do wear hearing protection when running power tools, since woodworking is one of my favorite past times. I find these ones (below) work best, and I'll just have them around my neck until I turn on the saw, planer, jointer, etc. They reduce the sound by around 25 db, which hopefully keep me from going deaf in older age.

http://lomerasolutions.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Earplug-HLeight-QB2-Headband.jpg     

Clapton !!!!
He is deaf now !

My hearing is impeded - patrly an inherited thing as most of family has the same thing - but I certainly should have worn ear protection around all the power machinery I used in my shop over the years ( I do now - but it's a bit late! sad  )     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Clapton !!!!
He is deaf now !

My hearing is impeded - patrly an inherited thing as most of family has the same thing - but I certainly should have worn ear protection around all the power machinery I used in my shop over the years ( I do now - but it's a bit late! sad  )

I would appreciate it if my fellow chordians would  type a little louder in the future !  smile 

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

When I hit 30 I started taking ear protection seriously. I have a custom set of plugs from my audiologist that doesn't impact sound quality. I take them to concerts that I attend, concerts I play, and other loud places such as Chordiestock after 11pm. smile     

Tenement Funster wrote:

Terrific idea to ask this question, CG, and it's something performing musicians need to think about seriously.

I don't play in a band and usually don't play very loud at home. However I do wear hearing protection when running power tools, since woodworking is one of my favorite past times. I find these ones (below) work best, and I'll just have them around my neck until I turn on the saw, planer, jointer, etc. They reduce the sound by around 25 db, which hopefully keep me from going deaf in older age.

http://lomerasolutions.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Earplug-HLeight-QB2-Headband.jpg

I have the same type.

I started working in the tree care industry in 1982. Lots of noise from chainsaws, wood chippers, etc. I never gave a thought to hearing protection until someone gave me the banded ear plugs. They are so convenient hanging around your neck when you need them. I never used them at concerts but I'm never without them when I'm running equipment. I'm sure they've added years to my hearing ability.     

In my teens I attended lots of very loud concerts and walking home my ears would be ringing like the bells of a thousand churches! The ringing would be gone by the morning but at 67 the ringing is there constantly. I don't think I have any significant hearing loss for my age. I do get asked to repeat what I've said, I think that's due to Ann's hearing deteriorating, don't tell her I said that!

I've played many loud gigs but never been stupid enough to get too close to the speakers. I play a lot quieter now.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I am glad so many have and still use protection. I recently got tested and I am lucky to have  very good hearing that the doctor who checked me said I had better than normal  hearing.  I have been to many concerts and even then I wore ear plugs and at the time I think I was the only one there who wore the plugs .     

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.