Topic: What Would You Do?

I own an purely stock Epiphone Dot (335 knock off) It's a nice guitar, but it's time to kick it up a notch. From the tip of the headstock to the bottom strap button, what would you do to make this ax a Blues machine? 

2 (edited by Tenement Funster 2019-06-19 18:05:39)

Re: What Would You Do?

Welcome to Chordie K&S ... and a great question about upgrades for your guitar.

Epiphone make really decent guitars for the price, but their stock pickups often sound a bit "muddy" and lifeless. So a reasonably painless upgrade would be to drop a new set of humbuckers in it (like Gibson 490's or Classic 57's) and you'll notice an almost immediate improvement in tone and note definition. Other things (like a bone nut, new strings, etc.) will provide minor improvements, but the pickups are the real key.

And ... what type of amp do you use? That's also a conversation which will pay you dividends.

I play through a Blues Deluxe Reissue. The dirty channel is a weak point, but I never use it anyway.     

Pickups and a varitone if you wanna be crazy. And maybe new pots.     

keysandstrings wrote:

I play through a Blues Deluxe Reissue. The dirty channel is a weak point, but I never use it anyway.

Well you've certainly got a terrific amp there, and Fender tube amps are among the best for blues. Since you like the clean sound best, a set of higher quality pickups (Gibson, Seymour-Duncan, etc.) in your Epi Dot should make you grin for a l-o-n-g time.