1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2019-06-27 00:43:25)

Topic: Amazing Amp Test Drive

I expect we all drop into the local music store from time to time, just to "test drive" a piece of equipment. It's a bit like window shopping, except that we can - for a few blissful moments - be on the interactive side of the glass.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWrrU9JSQgx_LtLXagNV1CBRk900OnrGJbJ4LJYxF3J_oY0x7p

This afternoon, I plugged in one of these Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister 18 "lunchbox" amps, played it through a 1 x 12" H&K cabinet with a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker in it, and it completely captivated me. Been a l-o-n-g time since an amp has impressed me this much, but it's worth a rant. Just a couple of highlight observations:

1) For only 18-watts, and literally not much bigger than a lunchbox, this thing has the headroom of a 50-watt or more. The clean tones from this were unbelievable, and I could really attack the strings without it breaking up.

2) Then I tried the lead channel, and I don't recall ever playing an amp that responded so willingly to playing style / pick attack / bends / etc. as this little beastie did. It literally sang with a different voice just by me playing different.

3) When some gain was added, this thing really punched above its weight, and gave full, lush over-driven tones without sacrificing an ounce of detail.

My dilemma is that I don't have the dough to buy it, but it just jumped to Position #1 on my G.A.S. list. For anyone looking for a very portable, versatile, and powerful amp for club-sized gigs or jam sessions, this thing deserves serious attention. Nicely done, Hughes & Kettner!

Re: Amazing Amp Test Drive

One comment, it looks very retro in you pic? Reminds me of a PA amp I came across in  a club I was at recently.it was from the early 50s, had that vintage smell and as I was told, was still in use even though only three valves were still working! Let us know if your dream becomes a reality?     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Phill

I just listened to the demo  of it - wow! it sounds awesome - everything you described and more!
It was selling for $ 483 - I guess if I was actually a good guitar player and was doing gis - I would buy one - but for me - it's outside of my $ for an investment-  not worth that much for me tojust play in my guitar room at home.
Thanks
for sharing - really cool.
Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

It may not be a H&K  but find a store with a Bugera  selection.  The V55 is very nice, my V5 is really great, and my Tri-Rec,  Well you all know how I love that!  Take a stroll around here:
https://www.bugera-amps.com/Categories/ … ans(en|en)

Honestly for the price, you just cant really go wrong.  Ya want HEAVY go tri rec or 6262 (peavy 5150 clone) or 333.  Lunch box? They have them.  I have stood behind this brand for a long time and it has not let me down.

Or save and save for the H&K  big_smile     

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

5 (edited by Tenement Funster 2019-07-08 22:18:54)

Thanks, Beamer ... and I'm right with you on the Bugera's, for a nice chunky sound. They really do rival Peavey in every way.

Where they don't shine as brightly (to my ears, anyway) is in the clean dept. I tried a Bugera V22 Infinium and liked it a LOT, but it wasn't quite as responsive as the H&K, especially when I played my Gretsch hollow-body through it. And the H&K head is exactly the same price locally as the V22 combo, and I already have a compatible 2x12 cab I built for the Peavey a couple years ago.

6 (edited by beamer 2019-07-10 15:00:38)

Tenement Funster wrote:

Thanks, Beamer ... and I'm right with you on the Bugera's, for a nice chunky sound. They really do rival Peavey in every way.

Where they don't shine as brightly (to my ears, anyway) is in the clean dept. I tried a Bugera V22 Infinium and liked it a LOT, but it wasn't quite as responsive as the H&K, especially when I played my Gretsch hollow-body through it. And the H&K head is exactly the same price locally as the V22 combo, and I already have a compatible 2x12 cab I built for the Peavey a couple years ago.

Ahhhhh ok

I only have the V 5 as a combo and a Berhinger 60W 1x12.  when I play "clean" im usually always "wet" with a compressor sustainer  and usually chorus reverb and delay.   sometimes phase.

Im thinking if you tried the head units not the combo, it might sound better.  Plus if your want more chime .... tube change.  I don't know who Bugera has making their tubes, but the Tungsol and VJ tubes in the power section make a heck of a difference. + in the pre-amp section the Mesa does make a big diff.  and the V stands for vintage,   Maybe you want to try a modern like the 333 or 6565 as the cleans on my Tri-Rec are very nice. ill make you a sample with a dry clean signal on my Tri-Rec.  are you using a Strat / single coil or a humbucker?

check out the vids on the T50  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont … 0azAARDJxw 
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB4ZkbC-oCs

the second one is more indepth as its a owner review.     @ 4:00 in he goes to the clean channel

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Buger … l4QAvD_BwE

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Nice to see this post here and thanks for sharing this to us.