Re: Tuesday's Flying Fingers

Luca Stricagnoli    "Thriller"    (original by Michael Jackson)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ_pDcjICtw

Another display of Luca's innovative way of interpreting a song, incorporating multiple elements flawlessly.     

I really appreciate what you do and while he is very good I honestly just do not like someone with that much talent to tap on great guitars. If he would just play and let someone play some drums I would like him much better. He has some great ability.     

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

Thanks, CG ... I appreciate your views, and won't ask that you think otherwise. You're an accomplished classical guitarist, and I respect both your opinions and abilities.

When I began this column, it was to feature guitarists making music using their "flying fingers" on their guitars. Not every weekly feature has had someone tapping on their guitar, but there have also been features with classical, jazz, and flamenco ... the latter style also featuring regular guitar tapping. Not having an accompanying percussionist makes this style very portable, economical (only one paycheck), and also adds an element of creativity and talent. I don't like that some of them do a lot of damage to their instruments (which I don't do) but I do enjoy the creativity.

I hope you can at least enjoy the music itself ... which is the main point. Cheers to you, and thanks for always commenting ... much appreciated, good sir.

Rafael Cortes    "Don Cortes Maya"    (original)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=359Bxg4Tp1w

A "taste of Spain" for this week, featuring legendary Flamenco guitarist Rafael Cortes from Granada in the south of Spain.     

Rafael Cortes    "Don Cortes Maya  shows just how good you can be with hands that are thicker than normal  fingers and with many hours of practice. He was perfect. Great   choice choosing him for today. He played an original song. 

t took me four years to write 25 original songs. Some are named after important people in my life and others are named for seasons and events and others are sonnet numbers.     

I am a coach of soccer and I always tell my teams  " Speed Kills!"

I am now aware that in guitar playing - same is true !
He is awesome - reminds me a little bit of Jose Feliciano.
Thanks for sharing

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

CG ... I noticed his hands also. A high school friend was phenomenal pianist, who went on to a fairly successful career in a band. His hands and fingers were short and stubby, and he wasn't even close to being able to span an octave on a piano keyboard. But man o man, could he ever make that thing talk!

TIG ... didn't know you coached soccer; same here for about 10 years. We always told the guys that they could pass the ball ahead faster than they could run with it.     

Nadja Kossinskaja    "Oblivion"    (original by Astor Piazzolla)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez62cQPYyI8

Ms. Kossinskaja, the music, the playing, the guitar ... all beautifully elegant.     

434 (edited by Classical Guitar 2019-07-02 11:46:39)

Nadja Kossinskaja  excellent and a clean player. She was born in Born in Kiev, Ukraine, and only later was in classical guitar and it shows at great she truly is. She constantly looks at her hands like many others do. Every classical guitar is the same size so if you can play one you can play any other. I never look  at my hands I look at the audience It is actually the difference between an Introvert vs Extrovert. She is as good as I have seen, and a  great find.

Yes, CG, she is indeed very talented. I also saw some other videos of her doing different genres, and she's also a capable singer.     

That was intense - excellent guitar playing.

There a couple of times where the stretching of her fret hand is incredible.
You can actually see the muscles of her hand, including the fingers and wrist  at work
- it must take about a millennium to get to that point !
She is into the music - it's like it comes from her soul. 
It was a beautiful composition to listen too.

Thanks for sharing.
jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Adam Rafferty    "Got to Get You into My Life"    (original by The Beatles)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EJS0YL74vo

Hailing from New York City, Adam is a recent discovery for me ... you'll be hearing more from him in Flying Fingers.     

I love jazz guitar - Wes Montgomery being a favorite - and this guy is great! I posted on his YT channel and asked a question. Wonder if he'll answer?

Great choice, TF.     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

I don’t think I’ve heard such legato phrasing around so many staccatos. Dude has skills     

He is a very good clean player. No tricks just nice playing. Nice find  and flying fingers.     

The dude can play !!!
Looks like he is having a blast as well!
Thanks for sharing and reminding me how terrible I am at guitar! smile     

Thanks for the comments, gents ... glad you enjoyed him. I had to look up what BGD mentioned about "legato", and I think it means playing staccato notes without any pauses between (in layman's terms). I tried it, and it ain't easy!

Judith Beckedorf    "Four Wins"    (original)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVlGu_GU4sM

A beautifully written & played piece, in the backdrop of an amazing room full of musical gear and inspiration.     

444 (edited by Peatle Jville 2019-07-16 05:57:11)

TF a very soothing watch and listen. To have a room in my house  like that with Judith playing and all those instruments to play on around that space would be a dream.situation to be in.

TF
What Peatle said !!

The instruments in the room - looked like a studio. Any room that she is in definitely would be a great room - instruments or not ! smile

Very smooth playing - I enjoyed it.
Thanks for the sahre.
Jim     

I have been away from home most of today so sorry I am late making a comment.  Judith Beckedorf   was amazing and her gorgeous playing was as perfect as I have seen. How she played hit my  heart at how good she is. Thank you for finding and listing her for today.     

Glad you enjoyed her playing, everyone ... Ms. Beckendorf truly is a delight to listen to.     

Don Ross    "With You in Mind"    (original)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng5feJWFf38

Don't know who Mr. Ross had mind when he wrote this, but it's obviously someone he's fond of (perhaps his wife Brooke?).     

TF

He was really in a groove.  Reminds of the the line from Springsteen's Thunder Road - " I've learned how to make this guitar sing"  !

If I could fingerpick 20 % as good as that  I think I could be famous.
Thanks for sharing

Jim     

Don Ross   is known to be a clean player and this one is a good example. Great find, and I am seeing more and more using a thumb pick both on with an election pickups. It is mostly how they trained and works best for them.  It works great for him.