Topic: Weekend blues

Here we are again, it's Sunday morning and nothing to look at!

So....the weather here is dry, overcast a bit with sunny periods. Seagulls making a racket, babies crying in the distance and a slight refreshing breeze. Our lunch is cooking and smells delicious giving me an empty and lustful feeling in my belly. My next job will be to peel the veg then make the beds, hoover the carpets and clean the hard floors. I should then have a few minutes to have a little strum on at least two guitars, maybe three if I include the strat! Well this is beginning to sound like I'm updating my profile... I'm not, just making conversation. Feel free to join in. 

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

2 (edited by Peatle Jville 2019-07-22 06:15:02)

Re: Weekend blues

Phill, your post for some strange reason got me thinking of that song Lazy Sunday which I havent heard or thought about for years, Song atttached

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXeRB-3nDR8

Small Faces, led by Steve Marriott later to form Humble Pie with Peter  Framton, two big 60s heart throbs in one band!!!
What a waste when he died, has to be one of the greatest rock vocalists of all time.     

Very tragic story of how he died.
Alcohol, drugs and smoking in bed - not a good combination.

I was just talking with a friend yesterday about all of the famous people that have
" made it" big and then find a way to screw it up  and have it all taken away in a flash.     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Phill Williams wrote:

Small Faces, led by Steve Marriott later to form Humble Pie with Peter  Framton, two big 60s heart throbs in one band!!!
What a waste when he died, has to be one of the greatest rock vocalists of all time.

Couldn't agree more, Phill ... Marriott had a signature voice. "Rockin' the Fillmore" (1971) was a highlight of Humble Pie's career, and his version of "Stone Cold Fever" on that album is huge. He made one comment to the audience which I recall:

"We just want to let you all know, that being here is a real gas!"     

reminds a bit of Kurt Cobain story a bit.

None the less... the guy was absolutely lights out musician.... He and Frampton were a classic pairing
If I remember correctly Frampton left the band around 1970-71   

When I was in college in Pennsylvania in  1974 , he played as Peter Frampton - in our auditorium. My roommate talked me into going... had no idea who he was....Wasn't more than 200 of us idiots in there.

A year later he sold out the Cow Palace in San Francisco about 50,000 attended....  -  his album " Frampton comes alive" was a mega hit !

He is 69 now and still on tour !   

Love to see him again !     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Cheers guys thank you for educating me. Up until now I didn’t know about Steve Marriott I have just finished reading about him and watching a doco about him on youtube. Very interesting and a very sad end.
My fathers parents Nan and Grandpah when I was young  on many a Friday night would have a knees up at their house. Being typical cockneys at every party they would sing old time songs plus a few new ones. Hard Days Night by the Beatles was always a new one they like to sing. I remember my Nan getting all excited when she heard Lazy Sunday on the radio. They learnt the lyrics for songs by listening to records until they eventually managed to get a song sheet with the right words as sometimes they misheard lyrics. Nan and Grandpah favourite  lines from Lazy Sunday was

Gor blimey hello Mrs Jones, how's your Bert's lumbago? (mustn't grumble)
I'll sing you a song with no words and no tune
To sing in your khazi while you suss out the moon, oh yeah!

Nan and Granpah loved it.  Sometimes as a result of that song when my Grandad needed to spend a penny he would say “Im going to the Khazi to suss out the moon.”

One thing I havent seen used for years is the use of a talk box like the one Peter Frampton used. Does anyone use them today????     

Come to think of it, I haven't heard a talk box for years either.mi guess it was just one of those toys that got replaced when the new "Barbie" came out.

I always thought it was "flush out the loo" ?

I also love the line "over the dreaming spires, to rest my eyes in shades of green" from itchycoo park, and of course the phased drums....the 60s were a great time until Engelbert Humperdinck showed his ugly face and even uglier songs.

Yep still sing A Hard Days Night from time to time. Loved the Peter Sellers version to, also produced by George Martin.     

Aaaahhh, the noble "Talk Box" ... great memories. Frampton used it on occasion, as well as Joe Walsh (Rocky Mountain Way). But my fav song with one is David Gilmour's usage in "Pigs: Three Different Ones". I gotta imagine having that tube in the mouth would seem like being on life support in the ER. And I also imagine the drool running down the tube into the Talk Box, shorting the whole thing out, and electrocuting he guitarist! lol Yup, I'd better stay away from those things.

http://www.rockapedia.com/sites/default/files/styles/adaptive/public/artist-photos/David_Gilmour_Pulse_Tour_2006.jpg?itok=fF6CoGjM     

the talk box immediately made me think of Graham's post on getting sick from the mic... sounds cool but - urggghhh ! not for me - I'd gag