Topic: memory fades

Here is the recording of memory fades, it's a bit long but some feedback would be nice.

https://soundcloud.com/iphillfine/memory-fades 

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: memory fades

Good song Phill I have left a message on Soundcloud.     

So very much to like here, Phill ... excellent work all the way through. The opening bars on the 12-string preset my expectations by reminding me of Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here", and you didn't disappoint. And at 5:50, that's definitely not too long for a Prog Rock lover like me! big_smile

Did you play each of the instruments? If so, I just went from impressed to awestruck! You've balanced everything just right, with soulful solo bits, to capably deliver a well written piece. If I were to mention one dislike, I feel there's a bit too much reverb on your voice ... but that's just personal taste. You have every right to be pleased with this, Phill ... very well done!     

Phill

Put me in the same line as TF, as I to am  awestruck at the song.
The guitar playing is sensational !
Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Thank you all. Yes I do play all the instruments, there's my Encore acoustic 12er, Tanglewood acoustic rhythm,  Crafter acoustic lead, Stratacaster and Telecaster electric leads, Yamaha keyboard and finally Alesis drum pads played live. I agree there is far too much reverb/echo, a lot was added by the mixing programme. I just love multi track recording!
I was hoping it wouldn't sound too much of a Wish You Were Here copy?     

Phill Williams wrote:

Thank you all. Yes I do play all the instruments, there's my Encore acoustic 12er, Tanglewood acoustic rhythm,  Crafter acoustic lead, Stratacaster and Telecaster electric leads, Yamaha keyboard and finally Alesis drum pads played live. I agree there is far too much reverb/echo, a lot was added by the mixing programme. I just love multi track recording!
I was hoping it wouldn't sound too much of a Wish You Were Here copy?

Not at all, Phill ... it certainly grabbed my attention at the outset, and you certainly took it in your direction as it got going. If you don't mind, I for one would like to know what you're using to record with.
- Is it all done through a DI Box to your computer, or are you doing it old school using mics and a mixer?
- If the former, what software do you use?
- If the latter, how about a peek at your gear list?
Again, my friend, this is stellar work!     

Thanks again, as I say I enjoy recording. I use a Tascam DP24 which I bought around the same time as Russ bought his. It's a great machine with some built in FX which go totally unused by me. I direct inject through an Alesis 8 track mixer by way of (for bass) a VTONE BASS BDI 21.
For acoustics a Donner Alpha Cruncher and a Digitech RP55 together for electric guitar. 12 string is recorded by microphone. For mixdown for MP3 I use a program called Ableton live which came with my Focusrite Scarlett interface, then to an MP3 converter called Moo0 Audio (free on line). Oh and vocals go through a Behringer Minifex.     

Wow all I can say is I'm glad I listened to this one Phill.
It really is top draw work an excellent example of what can be done with a home set up coupled with a great all-round musician that includes the technical bits.
An inspiration for me.....
Thanks.
Tony     

Nicely produced Phill and to echo every one else's comments it does at first come across a bit floydy but as it progresses takes it own shape ,you have a distinctive voice which compliments the music .Well done .     

Hi Tony, long time no see. Thanks for that glowing review. All round musician? you should see how long it takes me to get everything the way I want it. I know it sounds a lot of "technical" bits, I'm guessing you mean all the FX and hardware, but there's not that much when you look around my room. Thanks again.     

Grah1 wrote:

Nicely produced Phill and to echo every one else's comments it does at first come across a bit floydy but as it progresses takes it own shape ,you have a distinctive voice which compliments the music .Well done .

I have to admit that as I get older I'm getting more into Floyd than when I was a rock/hippy type back in the 60's and 70's. Not that I can ever be up to Floyd's standard, I just love most of their music.
Yeh my voice is distinctive...squeeky and I cant do anything about it in my studio but pile on the bass. I think My voice comes into it's own singing live before an audience.

How is your chest now? I noticed your voice was a little croaky (if you don't mind me saying) on those two vids you uploaded to youtube, once again I'm in total agreement with your sentiments. But what can the Labour movement do until Corbin goes back into obscurity?     

I'm still a bit croaky Phill sadly it's an on going problem which will probably get worse as I age  I have fibrosis and bronchiestesis , no cure but relatively stable unless I get an infection .Sensibly I took my own Mic to yesterday's gig in Haworth and it sounded ok I only had a 40 min slot so no problem.
As for Corbyn he needs to be on the offensive  and strike against the buffoon  .     

Let's be honest, Corbin couldn't match May, so he's got no chance against a zeroid that doesn't know when he's lying or just bluffing. Give him enough rope and he'll hang himself.     

It's excellent!! Very Floyd-ish!!

Cheers

Richard     

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic

Thanks Richard, it means a lot coming from a musician of your talent.