1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2019-09-02 18:12:22)

Topic: New Guitarist's Joy

I met a man last week (about my age) whose wife bought him a guitar for Christmas. He'd never played before, but at times had been saying around home that he wanted to learn. It's an Epiphone SG, and he has it in his office at work with a tiny practice amp. He closed his door, and showed me a few basic things he's been learning.

Obviously his skill isn't at a very high level yet, but the joy he displayed while playing was infectious. It got me to thinking I needed to expand my horizons more, and delve into either a new style, or some new music I've never tried before.

Met anyone with contagious guitar-itis lately?

Re: New Guitarist's Joy

Come on buddy, ill make a metal head out of ya yet! LOLOL Get minor and dark, utilize more Root 5ths big_smile     

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Re: New Guitarist's Joy

My oldest grandson, a theater major at the University of West Florida, got a summer job at the "Tecumseh" outdoor drama, located within 20 miles of my home.  A week ago he celebrated his 19th birthday so Jen and I hosted a party attended by family members and several cast members. After everyone left, Sam and I sat around a campfire, taking turns playing songs we've written.  He's only been at it a short time so some of his efforts needed a little polish but his enthusiasm and joy of playing his own creations was contagious and has got me thinking about getting out the old pencil and notepad again after months of taking a "break" from writing songs.     

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs