Topic: Fare Ye Well Robert Hunter

Robert Hunter, the poet and writer who provided the Grateful Dead with many of their vivid and enduring lyrics, died Monday night. He was 78. No cause of death was provided...

...Considered one of rock’s most ambitious and dazzling lyricists, Hunter was the literary counterpoint to the band’s musical experimentation. His lyrics — heard in everything from early Dead classics like “Dark Star” and “China Cat Sunflower” and proceeding through “Uncle John’s Band,” "Ripple," “Box of Rain,” “Scarlet Begonias,” and “Touch of Gray”— were as much a part of the band as Jerry Garcia’s singing and guitar.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/robert-hunte … kfmevaatca 

Re: Fare Ye Well Robert Hunter

In 2003, I met Robert Hunter in Reno at a bar. I did not know who he was. I was playing at an open mic and when I said I was going to play three or four Grateful Dead tunes in a row- jam style- he asked if he could join me. He disappeared for about three minutes and returned with a 12 string Martin guitar. He was staying in the hotel the bar was located in.

I launched in to my version of Ripple and he smiled a big grin and said “I remember the night I wrote that song”. I thought he was full of it, but when we played Mexicali Blues he coached me about how to get a trumpet sound out of the guitar (sliding a d chord shape between second and first fret on the fly). Man, he was rocking it and I almost forgot the words I was so enamored with his playing. When I finished my set, he bought me a beer and introduced himself. Just wow. Told me the backstory to several songs, funny stuff about the Grateful Dead scene. Showed me a few chord tricks for these songs. Down to earth guy, very approachable. Enjoyed that evening and sorta became a GD fan after that. Hope to play many of these tunes with you  at Chordie PA next week, Joe.     

I don't care if Hell freezes, as long as I've got my plastic Jesus
Riding on the dashboard of my car......

Strat, Martin, Tele, Artcore.......

Topdawgz wrote:

In 2003, I met Robert Hunter in Reno at a bar. I did not know who he was. I was playing at an open mic and when I said I was going to play three or four Grateful Dead tunes in a row- jam style- he asked if he could join me. He disappeared for about three minutes and returned with a 12 string Martin guitar. He was staying in the hotel the bar was located in.

I launched in to my version of Ripple and he smiled a big grin and said “I remember the night I wrote that song”. I thought he was full of it, but when we played Mexicali Blues he coached me about how to get a trumpet sound out of the guitar (sliding a d chord shape between second and first fret on the fly). Man, he was rocking it and I almost forgot the words I was so enamored with his playing. When I finished my set, he bought me a beer and introduced himself. Just wow. Told me the backstory to several songs, funny stuff about the Grateful Dead scene. Showed me a few chord tricks for these songs. Down to earth guy, very approachable. Enjoyed that evening and sorta became a GD fan after that. Hope to play many of these tunes with you  at Chordie PA next week, Joe.

That is a super cool story.     

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Very cool story Robert. Should be 5-6 Deadheads here. They'll love to hear that one.

See you Friday.  Jim and Amy think they'll be coming down Thursday.     

That is an amazing story.

SO cool !

UJB - How far is your place from Hughesville PA ?     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

TIGLJK wrote:

That is an amazing story.

SO cool !

UJB - How far is your place from Hughesville PA ?

Depends on traffic in Shamokin Dam. At the right time of day, I can make it to Williamsport in about 1:40. If traffic is bound up in SD, closer to 2 hours. PM me if you would like details.