1 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2019-10-28 16:02:43)

Topic: NGD pending??

I`m working towards a Rainsong Carbon Fiber acoustic. Does anyone have one?? They`re not cheap and I`m wondering how they are. These are all carbon fiber. There are cheaper ones with a wood neck.  I want full carbon fiber. Supposed to be almost indestructible. Almost.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Re: NGD pending??

I played one because I also wanted an indestructible guitar.  A friend who was with me said "what would you do with an indestructible 2500 dollar guitar?" The point he was bringing up is that if I drop that kind of cheddah on an axe, I'm going to treat it well. I wouldn't toss a guitar that expensive in the back of my car for a week even if it was heat proof; I'm too careful with instruments.

At first I liked the sound. Then I played it next to a few other instruments in the same price range. You're giving up a ton of tone quality for durability. It sounded thin and underwhelming.

The store also had a real purty Taylor 514ce that I played. It totally spoke to me. So I got that instead.     

i totally agree with BGT, never go by someone else's say-so or a glitzy ad, try before you buy and if you have any doubts...get a Taylor     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

If my memory serves me correct, Jeff (Topdown) had one when I was at Chordiestock, but it was a while ago and I may be mistaken. If he does not respond here drop him a line, but I agree with the others, you need to play one and get your own feelings for one.

Roger     

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Roger Guppy wrote:

If my memory serves me correct, Jeff (Topdown) had one when I was at Chordiestock, but it was a while ago and I may be mistaken. If he does not respond here drop him a line, but I agree with the others, you need to play one and get your own feelings for one.

Roger

He does! His guitar is the reason I thought I wanted one. Sounds and feels great.  But then again when I played it I couldn’t see the price tag. smile     

Baldguitardude wrote:
Roger Guppy wrote:

Roger

He does! His guitar is the reason I thought I wanted one. Sounds and feels great.  But then again when I played it I couldn’t see the price tag. smile

The model I have my eye on is $1800.00.  Just the right size. The others were too big or too small.  Who knows, I may change my mind. I`m not paying out of pocket, I use the money from selling guitars to pay for it. So it comes out to 1/2 - 3/4 of the price.     

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I work with  a guy who bought one, expensive brand  dont recall the name now but the sound was nit all that great on it. my  $175 Alvarez beater sounded better. reminded me of my little travel martin guitar  made from laminates.  any way my opinion for the cost not worth it unless your leaving it out side over night or plan on playing it IN the pool.     

out of tune out of key and out of touch

Topdown's is a Composite Acoustic brand rather than Rainsong. It's awesome in too many ways to count. But mostly, the low end when plugged in is AMAZING. It's an absolutely fantastic guitar. It may well be the best set up acoustic I've ever played. But please don't tell my Guild D40 or it may get jealous. If memory serves, Topdown bought it when he was doing a lot of traveling by car and wanted something that wasn't going to be harmed by being in a hot car all day before being pulled out to play in the evening. He got it, too.

I have played a couple Rainsongs. I liked them. I saw a couple of guys playing Rainsong guitars at a winery, and chatted with them during the break about their guitars. They both were in love with the guitars. For a touring musician, especially one doing small gigs that can go from an outdoor venue in direct sun one day to a high humidity basement gig the next, the Rainsong's have a lot going for them for someone who's gigging in a variety of environments and only has room for one or two guitars.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Maybe this will work.  Here's Topdown (black guitar) playing his carbon fiber guitar in my camper in the midst of a dericho that blew up associated with a tropical storm. He didn't have to retune.  But, Uncle Joe playing the traditional wooden flattop did have to retune. As did everyone who wasn't Topdown. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Fjcd6VmECALw62bd9     

It flat out wore Topdown out not doing any retuning.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VreAajPDNP5buvem9

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Yes, my guitar is a Composite Acoustic brand. At the time I bought it I was traveling from NC to West Virginia on a weekly basis and 50 deg temp swings were not unusual. I was shopping for a travel guitar - the Cargo model, but the dealer made me a ridiculous offer on the full size (at the time called a 7i series) that I couldn't pass up. I bought it shortly after the original manufacturer (CA) went belly up and the dealer was liquidating stock. Since then the CA line was bought by Peavey, but as I understand it, they still market it under the CA brand and use all of the original molds.

I have played his guitar all over the country -it's amazing. I can put it on a plane and when I open the case, it is still in tune. I have played it in bluegrass settings and the volume and bass response equals full size Martin dreads  - I'm a heavy strummer, so I usually fingerpick it when playing with others to keep from overpowering the better players (like everyone else besides me). The resonance is amazing. Joey - I imagine you played it when you were at chordiestock, if not, you should have. I am certain that you at least heard me and several others play. Maybe folks are just being nice, but every single person who picks it up is blown away by the sound and playability of this guit.

Oh yeah - this guitar usually lives on my back porch so it is handy to pick up and strum anytime I hanging outside. I certainly wouldn't do that with a fine solid wood guitar smile     

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!