Topic: Am I Ageist?

strange question. Ann and I are both 68 and we go to a local (working mens) club on Sunday nights to see a show and play the obligatory bingo.
Strange as it may sound but we are about the youngest there most are in their 70's or 80's but don't really act their age.
Now I like to wear jeans and tee shirt whereas most of the men like to wear baggy cream trousers, or what I call old mens drawers! They also like the background music before bingo and the act up loud. I don't mind that even though it's overpowering the conversation and they'll turn off decent music e.g the Eagles and put on Engelbert Humperdinck or Frank Sinatra....it's enough to drive one to drink, lucky then it's a drinking club and they have a well stocked bar, and the barman also plays guitar and we jam on occasion. The old crumblies moan like old trees when they see a guitarist set their gear up. That's the fun part.
So, does that make me an ageist? 

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: Am I Ageist?

No Phill your not ageist at all its just normal for this country When I lived in Greece no one cared what age you were they just accepted you as you were. We played alongside kids and people in their 80s and every one had a blast.But I know what you mean about folk moaning.I did a fund raiser for the air ambulance in the foyer of our supermarket a few years ago and got moaned at for playing rock  by a lot of the pensioners but also praised by some for having the nerve to do it.You can't please all of the people so you may as well please your self .     

You're so right Grah. Some time back I was carrying my gear into hotel while this guy was nailing Pink Floyds "wish you were here" to a small crowd . When I started playing the same old same old, to a full house I had to ask why weren't they outside enjoying this brilliant guitarist? All I got were blank looks and shoulder shrugs. No accounting for taste.     

The difference in culture of one decade always amazes me I have a brother who is 11 years older he loves Sinatra and the big bands he is also a musician with his own big band it's like he is trapped in a time zone along with all the other people who are still in there  mid to late 80s the same as I am part of a younger generation (78) lol those who are 10 years younger then me have there own "druthers" and so on and so on it is quite normal smile my brother and I do not agree on just about anything with the exception of football. lol     

"Growing old is not for sissies"

My brother gave me a lecture on how "street poet of the modern age" EMINEM, (hope I've spelt that right...honest lol) is and he's around 10 years my junior. My daughter who's nearly 40 loves Neil Sedaka, the Carpenters and Bon Jovi...what an eclectic mix, she also likes more modern stuff. I often sing "Baby shark" with my granddaughter, mainly because it annoys everyone!
Remember what Townsend said " hope I die before I get old" he's not saying that now, I bet