Topic: the morning after

i know we have members that are or were performers whether it be in bands/groups, duos, church bands, solo musicians or doing concerts with their students.
well thing is, over the years i've done a lot of gigs, some good some not so good and occasionally some that really lifted the spirits. and that's the reason for this post; you do your gig and at the end you get a rousing ovation and calls for more. people come up and say that's the best show they've seen in years and the offer of lots of follow-up gigs and you go home on a high (not chemical!!!)
next morning you wake up and life is just as it was 24 hours earlier, mundane stuff to do like vacuuming, washing the dishes etc. you come down to earth with a bump, reality sets in.
anyone else share this experience? 

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: the morning after

I can identify with this Phill .I really miss the big gigs ,the tours,the after gig parties etc.When I do a small venue these days I still get a buzz but I do find I get down and depressed sometimes but mostly this passes quickly and  I start looking forward to what's coming next.     

Yep, it's so annoying when you see all the adulation given to some of today's stars when the band you saw last night were so much better, musically, vocally and harmonically, not playing to backing tracks or in some cases miming...like that old ad says, you can't sing. You can't dance... you'll go far!
I miss playing with bands. Having someone to share the good, bad and carrying the gear. And the driving home...     

4 (edited by TIGLJK 2019-11-27 22:06:09)

as you all know, I am not a musician, but I do go on stage quite a few times as a high school coach.
I find it very similar - all the accolades from fans and friends after games - and then the reality of getting up to teach the next morning or going out to shovel snow, mowing the grass or picking up the dog poop in the yard !  ( I wonder if McCartney or Jagger ever had to do that ? smile  )
It's still a great ride and I wouldn't trade it  away. I'm just thankful for the opportunity.

I would love to play a gig sometime - only thing I'm lacking is good guitar playing and a singing voice.  Until that happens, I'll just listen to all my friends on chordie !!

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Jim, I can imagine your students and team members enjoying and feeling motivated by your speeches and lectures. Do you tell them about your music and play them some or tell them how to find your songs?     

Phill
I will play a couple of my songs for the seniors in my psychology class, but I don't share them to general population.
Your versions seem to be the most popular and the one Graham did called girlfriends.
They always want to know how I know a guy from Wales smile  !
I am pretty protective of my musical anonymity.
If I was a performer and could sing it I'm sure I would have a different perspective.

Great topic that has many angles.

I thought maybe Strummerboy Bill would write something on this one !!
Since  today is Thanksgiving in America today, I will take the opportunity to thank all my chordie friends for their friendship, kindness, support and generosity over the past few years.  It is a wonderful group of people here. 
Best wishes to you as we enter the holiday season - I hope you and Ann have a safe, healthy, and enjoyable one.

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Thanks Jim, and of course Ann and I wish your good self and your wonderful family the same. We don't actually celebrate Thanksgiving over here but most of us respect other people's beliefs and holidays, so we wish you the best. Enjoy my friend.