Topic: Another Saturday

Here we go again, after black Friday it's grey Saturday and not a single post on Chordie! So...it's cold it's grey it's wet and worst of all it's winter. It's too early to get the guitar out and it's too late to go back to bed. Nothing left to do but watch TV...latas 

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

2 (edited by TIGLJK 2019-12-01 02:28:23)

Re: Another Saturday

Grey Saturday - perfect description !
It could've been Grey November for me.
Today I have a funeral of a friend to attend  ( 4th one in November for me including my brother's)

the sky is Grey - weather forecast is 15" of Snow  starting tonight through Monday am.

However with that being said.....

I stood outside last night from 4:30 - 7:45 in 28 degree weather waiting for Santa's arrival , parade and visit to Santa's shop
with my Grandkids and family ( which BTW was totally worth it! ) After all of that my grandson who is almost 4 in the car on the way home says, "Mommy and Daddy what did you tell Santa that you wanted for Christmas ? "  It was so heart warming - makes you forget about the negative and realize that there is still so much good in our lives.
I am so grateful for my family and my friends- even the ones I've never met in person here on chordie

Phill

I have noticed the number of posts on here have dropped significantly. I guess everyone is busy,has other more important stuff going on, or for some reason is unable to post anymore. Whatever the case........ I miss the videos by Russell and the great songs by Mojo, the unbelievably cool insights of Strummerboy Bill, all the great songs and posts of our New Zealand Family - the golden voice of Jan, and the greatest stories and historical insights of Peatle ), JJJ's  interesting stories, Beamer's open heart songs and Metalized everything smile,Zurf's wildlife adventures and musical journey's,  Badeye's always good stuff, Roger G's terrific perspectives, UJB and BGD, Easybeat and Dirty Ed, NEO, CTECH, Doug, Jets60  and of course Mekidsmom (Amy).   My apologies if (and I know I must have)  I have left someone out !

Happy Holiday season to everyone and may your GREY SATURDAY's turn sunny ! smile
Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

As for me, I'm getting into the swing of being a bass player, spending my little free time learning to maintain and improve my instruments, and I am realizing that I'm going to have to do something I've been avoiding to learn my next step with guitar. I've been trying to learn slide and I have avoided alternate tunings. But I've learned that slide players almost all use open tunings.     

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

It was so warm in Perth today, we went for a boatride ...

90 second video overview - although we had the smaller, faster boat ...

Enjoy!

Richard     

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic

wow   that looks beautiful Richard !     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

It was a grey day here in the state of Ohio too, but that is considered a good thing on the last Saturday of November each year, for this is when the scarlet and gray clad football players of the Ohio State University "Buckeyes" play against the maize and blue of the University of Michigan "Wolverines" in what is known as "The Game". This year was the 116th meeting of the two teams in what is considered the greatest rivalry in all of sports. Even the BBC came to the US  several years ago and did a story about the rivalry.

I started the morning as I do most Saturdays, attending a two-hour jam session at our local music store,  then returned home to watch "The Game" on TV with family members. The Buckeyes triumphed 56-27, making the state of Ohio proud once again. After watching part of a couple other games I retired upstairs to my music room and spent a few hours playing the new Alvarez parlor guitar I bought last week (all-mahogany MPA66SHB model). I decided to change strings and install a set of D'Addario "Nashville high-tune" strings. Wow! that little mahogany baby sounds real sweet - almost like a cross between a mountain dulcimer and a hammered dulcimer. I'm trying to compile a list of songs that are enhanced by the sound.  I might take it to another jam session I attend every Monday evening, the Foothill Folk Society open mic I 'll attend on Wednesday and maybe bring it along and play a few songs on it Friday when I'm scheduled to play at a gig at the local art gallery. Should be an interesting week.

DE     

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Phil and Tig
yeah i`m still around,look in most days,i always go listen to any new songs posted etc.
i have heaps of music questions /subjects that i`d love to discuss.
But when you get little or no response you kinda stop bothering.
No hard feelings,it`s just the way it is,but i continue to support any new songs/poems.     

The King Of Audio Torture

8 (edited by Phill Williams 2019-12-03 10:25:33)

Great response guys to my depressing statement. You guys, apart from Graham, sorry my friend, seem to have a better time than me at the moment, I'd love to attend a regular jam session or ride a speedboat. No snow here but I woke this morning to white roofs and blue sky, it's not all bad I guess?

I`m still around. Still checking the posts. Not really participating lately.     

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I seem to have less and less time since I retired. I am running a band (me and seven ladies) and I have all the songs to sort out, find the correct key for the vocalist, produce the backing tracks (we have no drum or bass player) and write the song sheets (often in a couple of keys so the less experienced players can use a capo in difficult keys).

I do visit here every day but generally in an administrative role with no time to comment. Maybe after Christmas when the gigs have slowed down I will find more time to join in.

Roger     

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Rog you're just showing off!!!! Seven women!!! Keep your pecker up. How about some vids?     

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

I`m still around. Still checking the posts. Not really participating lately.

But you've taken the time to answer, great to hear from you.     

Roger - or anyone else -   How do you know what a singers key is ?
Remember - I am a dunce when it comes to music
Jim     

TIGLJK wrote:

I have noticed the number of posts on here have dropped significantly. I guess everyone is busy,has other more important stuff going on, or for some reason is unable to post anymore. Whatever the case........ I miss the videos by Russell and the great songs by Mojo, the unbelievably cool insights of Strummerboy Bill, all the great songs and posts of our New Zealand Family - the golden voice of Jan, and the greatest stories and historical insights of Peatle ), JJJ's  interesting stories, Beamer's open heart songs and Metalized everything smile,Zurf's wildlife adventures and musical journey's,  Badeye's always good stuff, Roger G's terrific perspectives, UJB and BGD, Easybeat and Dirty Ed, NEO, CTECH, Doug, Jets60  and of course Mekidsmom (Amy).   My apologies if (and I know I must have)  I have left someone out !

Happy Holiday season to everyone and may your GREY SATURDAY's turn sunny ! smile
Jim

"Beamer's open heart songs and Metalized everything"  YOU my friend are definitely welcome.  The reason for my absence is also due to im trying to get some recording done.  I ran into a glitch after Jerome cleaned out my laptop and put reaper and ASIO in.  IT JUST WONT HANDLE IT!  So I am waiting on a new computer to get here. also have had some other issues.  I still need to post my incredible LA GUNS VIP night.  For the non FB crowd.  I also have some fun realizations I dont think I have posted.

We also have had a death in the Chordiestock family.  He was not a part of our forum but a big part of Jeffs annual get together. BEE RAD (Brad) died in his sleep this past
Saturday night.  Many of us core members have been expressing our love and sympathy on facebook.

more to come from me thats a promise smile     

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

TIGLJK wrote:

Jim

After a couple of months of not working, I've got a new job which has been challenging to try and find that work/life balance again. Add to that one of my old positions asked me to do some after hours work as well, making it more of a challenge. So unfortunately guitar playing has dropped a bit into the background, I'm trying to get some regular practice in, and occasional come to the forums, but haven't found the chance to reply too much.

However the 2nd job is almost done, work and life seem to be balancing out, the weathers turning nice and the forecast is good ... I should be here more often! smile

Cheers

Richard     

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic

Jim, no singer sings every song in the same key (I have songs that I do in, A, Bb, C, D, E, F, and G smile). The range of the vocalist's voice in conjunction with the melody range of the song is what determines the correct key. That might sound rather complicated but what I do is a 'trial and error' method; try it in one key and, if the singer is not comfortable with it, try higher or lower until you find what suits them.

Roger 

P.S. Scott I was shocked to hear of Bee Rad's sudden passing (I met him at Chordiestock 3 and he was a Member here but never posted). I have say that I have never seen so many wonderful comments about anyone after they have gone as I have about him on Facebook this week. I wish I had known him better.

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Congratulations on your new job Richard. Condolences to those that have lost a friend. It's good to see our stalwart members taking the time to reply and still help others. This is what Chordie is all about.