Topic: Living With The Voice Inside

Ever since I was a teenager I have always had words and tunes going through my head. Back in the good old days when people wrote letters I use to write to all sorts of people and some would write  to me. Now it is more instant with email. I don’t do websites much only a few and I tend to be erratic in my visits to them. I have always found this great sense of release when I write something like a poem a song or email. I always feel the words hanging around in my head are prisoners waiting to be released. Somethings I write I don’t like to share it is just the fact that I have put  it on paper is enough for me a private note to myself. Here is a short video attached of a couple of kiwi poets talking about that subject.  I wonder if anyone else on here has thoughts on that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgF_sjZGJl0 

Re: Living With The Voice Inside

I find words pop into my head at various times  so I write them down and sometimes they tun into songs     

Yes Peatle-   it happens to me all the time!

I will see something or hear some one say something that reverberates and it is like a
voice inside that sticks there until I write something about it.
For example the song I wrote Three Words, Eight Letters -  I  was in a little cafe having breakfast while waiting for my car to be repaired. This woman came in that I did not know, but I could tell she was distressed. She was a stunning middle aged gal, and as I sat there- the words to the song just kept coming to my head. I have no idea what really was the matter with her, but I just imagined a love story and fictionalized it in my head that I wanted to fall in love with her.

I use my phone a lot... instead of writing ideas on paper - I usually just text myself the idea.

Good topic my friend for those of us who like to write - I am interested to hear from everyone on this.

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Grah1 wrote:

I find words pop into my head at various times  so I write them down and sometimes they tun into songs

Grah  That is what happens to me words pop onto my head. Often words arrive at weird times and I find if I try to write something it hardly ever works it is only when I am not trying it happens.     

5 (edited by Peatle Jville 2019-12-16 06:10:42)

TIGLJK wrote:

Yes Peatle-   it happens to me all the time!

I will see something or hear some one say something that reverberates and it is like a
voice inside that sticks there until I write something about it.
For example the song I wrote Three Words, Eight Letters -  I  was in a little cafe having breakfast while waiting for my car to be repaired. This woman came in that I did not know, but I could tell she was distressed. She was a stunning middle aged gal, and as I sat there- the words to the song just kept coming to my head. I have no idea what really was the matter with her, but I just imagined a love story and fictionalized it in my head that I wanted to fall in love with her.

I use my phone a lot... instead of writing ideas on paper - I usually just text myself the idea.

Good topic my friend for those of us who like to write - I am interested to hear from everyone on this.

Jim

Cheers Jim
I like the phone idea sometimes I use the recorder on my phone to store ideas. I do nearly all my song recordings on the phone for soundcloud and youtube.

Oh if only it was as simple?
Nine times out of ten I get word bombed in the shower or in bed or when I'm driving and I think oh yeah that sounds good because the tune comes with the words! So I think how can I put this down so I'll remember them? I'll just keep singing them over and over till I get the chance....never happens. The fatal flaw is the second line. Once I try to get more the first line disappears and when I get to my guitar the tune has dissolved also. I don't have a waterproof phone so that solution won't work in the shower! In bed, don't want to wake her shadylip, and driving would be down right dangerous! Thanks for the suggestions though.
Ann (hershadylip, don't tell her I called her that) found a pile of Christmas, birthday and valentine's cards I made for her some years ago with, in my opinion some excellent but sloppy love poems I composed for her, I said these are great and she said yeah you used to be romantic in those days....one step forward three steps back!     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

BAhahahahahaha   Phill
That last post me burst out laughing.

One step forward and three back - story of my life !! smile     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

I don't like the voice.     

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

9 (edited by Peatle Jville 2019-12-17 21:11:12)

Cheers Phill my ladyship Maree use to  love my love poems years back but she never liked my singing.. Whenever I try to express my love for her nowadays in a poem or song it comes out like I am trying to win favour for some scheme Im dreaming up that will go down like a lead balloon with her. On most occasions instead of hearing her say  that is lovely Peatle I get a cynical look on her face a roll of the eyes with what are you after now.

Zurf I have times when I don't like the voice in my head.

I keep the house littered with those little moleskin notebooks for just such occasions.   My song writing process works in one of two ways.  Either I spend years trying find the correct cadence and rhyme, crafting slowly, and struggling with the message I'm trying to convey, OR it all comes out in about 10 minutes while I'm taking a shower.  Bang, done.     

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

thinking there is a country song in her shadylips ….maybe.

any way most of my songs start out a single line that usualy comes to me out of the blue and then build around it. 9 times out of ten it gets changed around in the end. I allways have trouble with coming up with a chorus  for a song why  many of mine do not have one. and that brings me around to what I am working on now , a line hit me the other day made a few adjustments and now have  a great chorus I think. now  need to build around it which opposite of what I usualy do .     

out of tune out of key and out of touch

Can't wait for it Mojo - I always like your stuff !!
Jim     

mojo01 wrote:

thinking there is a country song in her shadylips ….maybe.

any way most of my songs start out a single line that usualy comes to me out of the blue and then build around it. 9 times out of ten it gets changed around in the end. I allways have trouble with coming up with a chorus  for a song why  many of mine do not have one. and that brings me around to what I am working on now , a line hit me the other day made a few adjustments and now have  a great chorus I think. now  need to build around it which opposite of what I usualy do .

Same with me, a line hits me, I write it down, if I can, then when I go to work on it... subsequent lines are a different measure, so the first line gets changed!
I then struggle to find a chorus. My two main sources are failed songs and a young feller called Jim, he's always good for a chorus.. aren't you Jim?
Now that you mention it "her shadylip" does get the creative juices bubbling!     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Phill
Sure I'm always up for giving that a whirl - can't promise anything - but I would try it at least.

Mojo - Shady lips does sound intriguing for sure !

Jim