Topic: Bass Restoration

I got a bass from Bigdawgz (aka Hizzoner). He has a business buying and selling used things, mostly instruments. He bought out a store that was closing. This store had their own brand called Guitar Works. He had a bass left at the end of selling the other things. Good wood on it, but the components were shot.

I'm restoring it in two phases. I bought the materials for phase one the other night.

1. Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder pickups, plus foam and screws.
2. An on board unpowered pre amp to replace the pots and jack. It uses screws for pickup connections, so I'll be able to try different sounds without soldering.
3. A set of GHS Boomer strings with a lighter than usual gauge for me. .040 to .090. I usually use .045 to .105. Hoping to try more popping and modern sounding attacks with this bass. My usual style is more like walking bass and Chicago blues style riffs. Both my current basses has very traditional sound setups as a result.
4. A replacement pick guard. The current one is white and warped and flat out ugly. I don't like white pick guards and pickups. The new pickups are black. The new pickguard is a darker shade of baby blue decorated with black paisley designs.
5. I'll shield all the cavities and covers while it's open.

Phase 2, which will require a new cash infusion, will get a new high mass preferably bell brass bridge in black, black tuning machines, and maybe black strings. 

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Bass Restoration

I just tried those fancy black coated strings from DR and pulled them right back off after 3 weeks.  They go dead so fast.     

Baldguitardude wrote:

I just tried those fancy black coated strings from DR and pulled them right back off after 3 weeks.  They go dead so fast.

Good to know.

All the reviews I've seen are that the coated strings have a mellow tone, but I'm looking for bright on this bass. I may have to stick with roundwounds. I've got flat wounds on my fretless, half rounds on my Ovation, so round wounds may be right. I'm looking to achieve some of the sound I wanted to get rid of on my Ovation when I switched away from round wounds on it.     

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

They were nice and bright at first but they dulled really quickly. And it wasn't a warm mellow tone. It was a dead string tone. Poor sustain, etc.

I suppose they are fine if you want to change strings 4-6 times a month but I don't have time or $ for that.     

All the parts but the pick guard have come in.

I'm going to try to assemble it on Sunday or Monday with the old, ugly pick guard, as changing that out will be quick when the new one comes in.     

Good Luck Zurf !
Sounds like a project I would love ! ( Although I know nothing about strings and how they are wound.)

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

New volume and tone pot, new jack (all really in a preconfigured pre-amp sort-of thingy), and new pickups installed.  The action is super high on the E and A strings in order to get tuned up. I can adjust that, but I'm going to wait until I get the new bridge installed and then I can see whether I need to do a neck reset.  Also, all cavities are now shielded and I put in a shielded ground wire for the ground-to-bridge.  This should be quiet on-stage.  I'll see on Thursday night at practice. I'll also see whether these pickups are really the "high output" passive pick-ups they're advertised to be. Or rather, the sound guy will.  I am not the sound guy in the band. We have two of them and they're really good. One actually has a degree in sound guy stuff, so I get a break this time, which is nice because I don't have the foggiest notion what I'm doing except from having done it wrong a bunch of times.     

8 (edited by Zurf 2020-01-22 12:15:13)

Needs a new nut. I just learned the test where you press the string down half way between the second and third frets then check whether there's a sliver of space between the string and the first fret. There isn't. And I've already raised the string at the bridge. So...new nut. Wish me luck. It looks simple enough on YouTube.

Zurf wrote:

So...new nut. Wish me luck. It looks simple enough on YouTube.

I changed one on a bass not too long ago - buying it pre-configured made it quite easy, the harder one was the bone one I had to made for the multi-scale acoustic guitar, as it had all sorts of wierd angles ...

Have fun!

Richard     

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, poor singer ]-
My songs             http://neophytte.mine.nu/audio/
My Soundcloud   https://soundcloud.com/neophytte1
My YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHnDpTAPTUE&list=PLhpGn51pPqN6q8kmuORnuWcAXRF1_b1zV

neophytte wrote:
Zurf wrote:

I changed one on a bass not too long ago - buying it pre-configured made it quite easy, the harder one was the bone one I had to made for the multi-scale acoustic guitar, as it had all sorts of wierd angles ...

Have fun!

Richard

I got off to a poor start by buying a wrong model nut. I'll return it. A different one that is too high and I'll need to sand down to fit has been ordered.     

Zurf wrote:
neophytte wrote:
Zurf wrote:

Have fun!

Richard

I got off to a poor start by buying a wrong model nut. I'll return it. A different one that is too high and I'll need to sand down to fit has been ordered.

I used a file to get mine down to size, mark where it sits first with a pencil across the fretboard, then put the file down flat and start at the bottom of the nut keeping it as flat as you can; I've heard it's easier if you have a table vice to hold it, and a fancy file with a holding knob on one end, but we make the best of what we have ... measure frequently as you don't want to go too low ... also buy a spare if you think you can't do it ...

Cheers

Richard     

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, poor singer ]-
My songs             http://neophytte.mine.nu/audio/
My Soundcloud   https://soundcloud.com/neophytte1
My YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHnDpTAPTUE&list=PLhpGn51pPqN6q8kmuORnuWcAXRF1_b1zV