Topic: Busy Evening

As some of you know, I'm a board member of a non-profit group called the Foothill Folk Society, a group dedicated to promoting and preserving the music and arts of our beloved Appalachian foothill area. For the past 10+ winters we have  put on a free concert in the auditorium/theater at the Chillicothe, Ohio branch of Ohio University.  Each year we have a different theme for the performance. This year's theme was "Love Lost and Love Found". All the performers/groups were to play one song about love lost and another about love found and also recite a poem (or song lyric) about love.

I was asked over a month ago to play but knowing that there were several of the best musicians from our area willing to play, I declined and said I would only play if there weren't enough acts. As I figured, we soon had plenty of great musicians lined up for the evening. At one of our planning meetings I mentioned that I had looked in a dictionary and was surprised at all the definitions related to the subject of love. We decided that reading some of the definitions would be a great way to start the show, and I agreed to do this small part.

The show was scheduled for this evening (Saturday) and I had my small part prepared and ready at least a week beforehand. Two days ago I was informed that there was a chance that I may also be needed to fill in as  the MC for the show.  I agreed to do it if necessary.  On Friday evening we unloaded PA equipment, did sound checks, and worked on stage lighting. It was then that I found out that the old-time banjo player who usually sits on stage and plays "ambiance" music for the 30-45 minutes between the time the doors open and the show starts was going to be a no-show so I volunteered to play my recently purchased all-mahogany Alvarez MPA66SHB parlor guitar.  I have it strung with "Nashville High-Tune" strings and when played with metal finger picks it sounds similar to a mountain dulcimer.

So tonight the show opened at 7:00, I sat and finger-picked for about a half-hour before the show started, then read the "love " definitions to begin the show and then performed the duties of the MC for the night, introducing the acts (there were some incredible musicians) filling in spots with stories when needed, and appealing to the audience to open their wallets and contribute to our local food bank to help feed our poor neighbors (something we do each show).

At the end of each show we gather all the performers on stage to do a final song together to end the night.  I was asked to sing one of the verses of "My Girl" (by the Temptations) I had not planned on it but since it's one of my favorite songs, I belted out the second verse.

Great night of music, received a lot of kind words from the audience afterward and on Monday will deliver a truck load of food to the Good Sam food bank (entire bed and back seat of my crew cab Dodge is filled with canned goods) along with $713.00 in donations.

A busy but enjoyable evening. 

DE 

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

2 (edited by neophytte 2020-01-26 08:26:19)

Re: Busy Evening

Dirty Ed wrote:

{snip}
A busy but enjoyable evening. 

DE

Sounds great DE!! Congrats on your contribution ...

Cheers

Richard

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic

Ed
That is absolutely fantastic!
The world needs more people such as yourself and your group.
Congratulations on your performance, but even more so on your actions as a
compassionate fellow human being. 

Well done sir- proud to be one of your admirers!
Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

That does sound busy. You're quite the individual volunteering for whatever was needed. I'm surprised they didn't ask whether you could build a few set pieces.     

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

It's great to be part of something so amazing. Well done and congratulations on being the go to guy when others drop out. It must be grand to be part of such a worthy cause.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Zurf wrote:

That does sound busy. You're quite the individual volunteering for whatever was needed. I'm surprised they didn't ask whether you could build a few set pieces.

In some past shows we've done some fairly elaborate sets such as a living room  jam session where the performers would knock on the door and be asked to come in and join in the music or a campground setting where we sat around a faux  fire and played. (That was my favorite) This year it  was pretty simple, just a normal stage setting.  Or at least simple for the performers and most of us "helpers", but not for the sound man. He volunteers each year to bring his large trailer full of sound equipment, set it up and handle everything audio during the performance.  When we use "sets", he has mics that he hangs from the stage ceiling, all instruments are acoustic and he has control over the "sound". This year with 5 mics on stands and every group wanting a particular volume or reverb etc for vocals and different settings for their plugged-in instruments it was a lot to ask of him, but he did a great job.  (There were 7 acts, from solo performances to 5-piece country and rock bands.)

For some of us it's just a matter of volunteering our time, which retirees like me have plenty to give. The real kudos goes to the sound man and all the performers who turn down offers to play gigs at other venues to play as un-paid volunteers at our function each year.     

DE that is awsome what your group does in the community. Your part of the USA sounds a good place to visit and get exposed to good local music.     

Someone brought a camera, filmed the performance and posted it on the Foothill Folk Society facebook page. It has a lot of crowd noise, children yelling, etc but should still give you some idea of the talented musicians  in our little town.

https://www.facebook.com/foothillfolk/

The video is 2 hours long, but Mark Sentieri at about 28:00, Paul Brown at 40:00, Jay Scott at 1:09:00, Ashley, Amber, Rick and Irene at 1:26:00 and Ben True and the Basement Collective at 1:44:00 show the diversity of the music and the musicians who contribute their time to FFS.