Topic: Gigs in your country?

Hi guys!

I was wondering how do you get gigs? Is it easy for you?

I struggle to have gigs, of course, doing folk rock country doesn't seem to help me while living in Belgium... On the other hand, I think it's cool to have something different to show...

The main problem in my area:
People only rely on coverbands or metal... Other genres are not famous...
Also DJ are the most common thing you'll see in Belgium... I'm not talking about the guy scratching a vinyl, I'm talking about this guy behind a computer and touching buttons...

In 2019 I contacted a lot of bar owners, festival organizators, etc. To finally only have 2 official dates so far, and normally at the end I'll have 4-5 concert in 2020 because some events needs to been finalized.

Is it like this in your country?
When I watch video of local bands in the US, it seems there are many more different musical genre, going from traditional (folk/country) to rock, funk, jazz, etc. 

[url]https://soundcloud.com/curtis-k-music[/url]

Re: Gigs in your country?

I used to gig a lot. My last year playing a bunch we did 189 shows.  I did it by incorporating an entertainment company that exclusively represented my band, and then calling venues as representation on behalf of the band.  Our bookings skyrocketed.     

Holy **** 189 shows yikes
Awesome, are you professional?     

[url]https://soundcloud.com/curtis-k-music[/url]

Quite hard these days bars don't like to pay they want it all for free , I tend to do a lot of festivals or political venues these days   In the UK there are so many doing similar stuff it's hard to get a residency like I had in Greece so jam nights and open mics are the regular things.     

I kinda sold out many years ago. I wanted to be in an original band playing rock music, but we never got many gigs. so the focus turned to playing pops, ballads and country songs, then sneaking in a few rockers towards the end when the punters are too inebriated to complain! that was the 70's, things have changed since. maybe it's my generation, late 60's, but all the acts i see these days are playing "don't stop believing" "human" both songs by that name, "another brick in the wall" etc, etc. they also love line dancing...anything but originals they talk through anything they've never heard before. i saw a guy in my local last week who charged £100 for the night, when he does his simply red tribute he charges £500....go figure, i didn't rate him for the £100. if you come to the UK you'll have to sing in english!     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

The town I live near (Chillicothe, Ohio, USA, population about 25,000) is probably typical in Ohio. Last Friday evening I was driving through town and stopped at a few "watering holes" I frequent. One had a country band, another a jazz group and the third a Bob Marley reggae cover band. The place that had the jazz band always features a dixieland band every Thursday evening. In all, there are over a dozen places that feature live music in our town, with rock, country and bluegrass being the prevalent genres. I'd guess that 100% are "cover" bands.  It's a singer/songwriter's kind of hell.  I play every Monday evening and every Saturday morning at jam sessions and one night a week at open mics, but I don't seek bookings and rarely play "gigs".

The last Saturday of February however, I'm booked to play a solo gig at a local winery from 6-9pm. I plan on playing my original tunes for the first 90 minutes or so. If the crowd seems to be enjoying it, I'll play my songs for another 90 minutes. If they're getting restless, then it'll be covers for the rest of the evening. It's the day before my birthday so if any of my musician friends are in the audience, I may also get some of them to join me on stage.     

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

CurtRHCP wrote:

Holy **** 189 shows yikes
Awesome, are you professional?

Was back then although a couple of us held down day jobs to allow our band mates to focus on music.  It was fun.  smile

Now I play maybe 2 gigs a year sad     

Dirty Ed wrote:

The town I live near (Chillicothe, Ohio, USA, population about 25,000) is probably typical in Ohio. Last Friday evening I was driving through town and stopped at a few "watering holes" I frequent. One had a country band, another a jazz group and the third a Bob Marley reggae cover band. The place that had the jazz band always features a dixieland band every Thursday evening. In all, there are over a dozen places that feature live music in our town, with rock, country and bluegrass being the prevalent genres. I'd guess that 100% are "cover" bands.  It's a singer/songwriter's kind of hell.  I play every Monday evening and every Saturday morning at jam sessions and one night a week at open mics, but I don't seek bookings and rarely play "gigs".

The last Saturday of February however, I'm booked to play a solo gig at a local winery from 6-9pm. I plan on playing my original tunes for the first 90 minutes or so. If the crowd seems to be enjoying it, I'll play my songs for another 90 minutes. If they're getting restless, then it'll be covers for the rest of the evening. It's the day before my birthday so if any of my musician friends are in the audience, I may also get some of them to join me on stage.

It would be funny if someone came and covered some of your originals.     

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

It would be funny if someone came and covered some of your originals.

I ran into a guy last week that I played a gig with several years ago.  He now hosts a monthly jam session in a public library  at a town about an hour away, and plays gigs occasionally with his son (one heck of a bluegrass picker). He said they often play some of my songs.  I got a call yesterday from another musician friend that informed me that the "monthly jam session" is this evening and wanted to know if I'd like to attend it with him. I'll be thrilled if I get there and hear someone else playing one of my songs.     

Nice!

Your songs are covered at campfires throughout the mid-Atlantic. Nice that they're getting stage time.     

Bluestone and If I Were The Wind are better than almost everything that's been on the radio in the past fifteen years, and for novelty songs your Rich Kid Doctor is on par with Willie and The Hag's "It's All Going To Pot" or Willie's "I Woke Up Not Dead Again Today."

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

Nice!

Your songs are covered at campfires throughout the mid-Atlantic. Nice that they're getting stage time.     

Bluestone and If I Were The Wind are better than almost everything that's been on the radio in the past fifteen years, and for novelty songs your Rich Kid Doctor is on par with Willie and The Hag's "It's All Going To Pot" or Willie's "I Woke Up Not Dead Again Today."

Thanks for the kind words Zurf.  I'm now sitting at my computer and blushing..........