Topic: Is a 15w amp too loud for home practice?

Hello,

So I've been dabbling in electric guitar after being mostly an acoustic player. I have an El cheapo guitar and practice amp. I finally decided I want to invest in some good quality gear. I'm planning on getting a American special tele. The problem I've been running into is with the amp. I really like the fender bassbreaker breaker and played it a little bit at guitar center. However the 7w version has no effects loof or reverb.

Would the 15w be too loud for home use? I might use an overdrive pedal, but I would still like to be getting some of my crunch from the amp.

My alternative would be to go with a line 6 HD 500x, unless someone has other recommendations on a good low power tube amp with an effects loop.

Thanks for any help!

2 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-05-12 08:37:08)

Re: Is a 15w amp too loud for home practice?

Welcome to Chordie, Donnie ...

The 15w Fender Bassbreaker is a terrific tube amp ... can't go wrong. A 15w is a very common size to go with for a practice or studio amp, and will give you plenty of volume if you're jamming with some friends, but doesn't have to be turned up overly loud to get good tone. Here's a simple trick with a tube amp to get the crunch you're looking for, without cranking it too loud:

1) Start with your "Master" volume at "0"
2) Set the "Structure" knob at "Low" or "Med"
3) Set the "Gain" knob up a fair bit (halfway or more, depending on how much distortion you want).
4) Then simply raise the "Master" to the volume you want, and you'll find there's lots of crunch at a household-friendly volume.

The layman's / simplified reason this works, is that the "Gain" knob amplifies the signal from your guitar before it hits the power tubes; this is where the distortion comes from. The Master Volume then simply controls how much audible volume comes out through your speaker. You've obviously done a fair bit of research already (judging from your comments) and a tube amp is definitely the right way to go (IMHO). A couple other low-power tube amps (with an effects loop) that you might consider are:

1) Traynor YGL1
2) Hughes & Kettner TM18

Both of these amps have a separate "Gain" knob to enable the little trick mentioned. Hard to go wrong with your first choice, though. The Fender Bassbreaker is a really great amp. I certainly hope this is helpful, and some other Chordians will no doubt pitch in.

3 (edited by TIGLJK 2017-05-12 10:23:50)

TF
I can't speak for Donnieclark, but your explanation just cleared up a lot for me. 
Although one question I still have -   One volume knob says  " Clean  "  - the other says " Overdrive " - What is the difference ?

I have a Marshall 15 amp and I have struggled to find the right settings.  This helped a lot.

I also have a 200 A  Fender Frontman that I got when I bought my first electric guitar - I had no clue what I was buying.  It puts out a lot of sound. Great for playing in my backyard - keeps stray cats and critters away - used it as the sound system for music at an outdoor  party, but  not too useful in my house though smile my wife doesn't really appreciate it. smile

Now all I have to do is get Russell to come down and show me how to use my Trio !!

I'm a complete dunce with the electronic components ! lol    hmm
Thank You TF

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Nothing sounds better than tubes running hot!
I would buy one of these fellas for the effects loop. Then you can run volume full out and pull the volume back down after your power phase
http://m.ebay.com/itm/16-ohm-up-to-60w- … Ciid%253A7

TIGLJK wrote:

TF

Although one question I still have -   One volume knob says  " Clean  "  - the other says " Overdrive " - What is the difference ?

Glad to be of help, TIG ... although I'll outright confess I'm no electronics techie. I put new batteries in the TV remote once, and it still wouldn't turn the TV on. I kept pressing it, and all that happened was the garage door kept going up and down. lol

What you're describing is a 2-channel amp. The "Clean" channel is taking the raw signal from your guitar and running it through its signal path to produce a relatively distortion-free sound. This is dependent somewhat on the output of your pickups, but that's the general idea. The "Overdrive" channel is basically doing what the "Gain" knob does, i.e., it's adding a boost to the signal coming from your guitar, before it goes to the power tubes in the amp. It allows the player to jump from the Clean to the Overdrive channel on the amp (via the footswitch) to change tones mid-song for soloing, etc., instead of stopping to fiddle with knobs.

I use a 100w amp with 2 cabinets that have a 12" speaker and high frequency horn because I like the sound of it, the key word is sound. Volume can be controlled once a good sound is located trust your ears.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

GOOD Gosharoonie!!!! Those 15 watt amps are expensive, aren't they, guys?

I was "eavesdropping" in donnieclark's thread about home practice and thought to myself, "Well, he's talking about one of those $100.00 jobbies (I used to have a Fender "Band In A Box" amp which cost around that much), but when I went to the link, I got some schoolin' right upside my head. I do remember the warm "tube" sound and now I see you can get it from a $50.00 plug in. This is awesome.

So now I'm thinking, "why not ask the guys which is the really best and more economical 15 watt practice amp, and if you were to choose to do it, can you use that $50.00 gizmo pedal on that practice amp and still get that tube sound?"

Thanks

Opie

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Bill

I was shocked at that price as well.

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Yeah, there's no question that a 15w tube amp is a lot more expensive than a 15w solid state one. But the difference in sound quality is like night and day, and a 15w tube will generate about as much volume as a 75w solid state. And when other things are added (more than one channel, effects loop, power soak, etc) those all add to the versatility ... and price.

10 (edited by beamer 2017-05-14 04:03:13)

I have managed to dial in a very nice low watt tube sound from my berhinger amp with multi effects added in,, if you want a SS amp with lots of versatility, and not a big tag,, check that brand out. or the tube line called the Bugera V5.  Its a killer amp and i have even pushed a 2X12 cabnet with it and it was amazing!

A 5 watt tube amp is as loud as a 15 watt solid state in most cases.  the V5 even has a attenuationselect switch from .1 watt to .3 to5. so you can crank up the gain and not kill your neighbors.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

yeah that would be fine to go.

Ee

donnieclark wrote:

Hello,

So I've been dabbling in electric guitar after being mostly an acoustic player. I have an El cheapo guitar and practice amp. I finally decided I want to invest in some good quality gear. I'm planning on getting a American special tele. The problem I've been running into is with the amp. I really like the fender bassbreaker breaker and played it a little bit at guitar center. However the 7w version has no effects loof or reverb.

Would the 15w be too loud for home use? I might use an overdrive pedal, but I would still like to be getting some of my crunch from the amp.

My alternative would be to go with a line 6 HD 500x, unless someone has other recommendations on a good low power tube amp with an effects loop.

Thanks for any help!

Hi Donnie ...

Was just looking through some recent posts, and wondering if you picked up your new amp yet? Many of us put up a "NAD" (New Amp Day) or "NGD" (New Guitar Day) post when we get a new piece of gear. I hope you found one that works for you, and hope you'll let us know what you decided on.

I think a 15 Watt amp is perfect for the home. A 15 watt amp should be nice and compact for a bedroom setup. Try a Marshall.     

Although it has no effects loop, my Bugera V5 is an awesome amp. it will push a 4x12, it has an attenuator for .1 .3 and 5 watts.  It only has a 8 inch speaker, but it really rocks! I have run everything in front of it with no problems.  you can check out my youtube .  look up scott sailer for the channel and go to my vids. you will see it.     

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

15 Watt amp for your home is the way to go.     

I have a Vox 100w combo and love it, yes its loud but i like loud music and live out in the wilds so no neighbours to complain lol     

welcome to chordie brownhill. i once had a vox 50 watt combo. i also played once through a 100 watt vox cab and speaker, i made a bit of a mess in my pants if you get my meaning?
vox amps used to have around twice the output of the face value , so 15 = 30 watts, 30 = 60 etc. i find small amps are not value for money, if you're playing in a bedroom, yes, but if you want to say jam with some mates in a bigger room your sound will be lost. you can always turn down a big amp but you cant turn up a small amp.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I agree with Phill

great analogy   go big or go home.
I have a Marshall 30 and a Fender 100     

Hi Jim. There is loss of tone when you turn the big guys down so use sustain or a little distortion to get the sound "meaty" there are other terms I could use but this isn't Facebook lol.
On my previous post I meant to write amp and cab!
One of the first gigs I played with a band I used a Marshall 50 watt amp with two cabs. The other guitarist used a Vox A.C. 30 and completely drowned me out, and I was stood right Infront of my rig!!!     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Price is really high     

Towab Muhammad Yusuf
Graphics Designer at Clipping Path Universe
Web: https://www.clippingpathuniverse.com/

A 15-watt amp is perfect for home use. This is the maximum it will output, so you can keep it a bit lower if needed.
Some have great drive sounds and so this could be beneficial. But if there is a pedal you like, then that's a good match.     

Tube amps are often perceived as being louder than solid state amps and this is because they actually are. A low wattage tube amp, of say 10 or 15 watts, will actually sound as loud or louder than a solid state amp of 50 watts or more.     

yes, 5W to 15W is plenty loud enough for playing at home