Topic: My Friend Hope

My Friend Hope.
Looking out my window at home.
Waiting for time to change.
Deep down in a canyon inside my soul.
The voice of my unseen companion is urging me on.
My invisable companion’s  name is Hope has been around since before I was put on this planet and made to float on the sea of life.
Back in history when the invaders came Hope was there urging us on.
My ancestors oppressors couldn’t see Hope leading my  people on.
The enemy flooded in with their mean spirit grabbing all they could.
Treating our people with contempt an arrogant  enemy  could not see Hope lifting our peoples spirits pushing them on.
Bigger than our solar system with more power than the hundred billion stars in the Milky Way an almighty force sent by God surged through their broken bodies and veins.
Strong in spirit inspired by Hope the enemy had their evil arrogance stripped.
They ripped and tore our bodies but they couldnt destroy our souls.
Strong in spirit pushed on by Hope our people were victorious.
Now here I am in a hole looking for light  knowing a time of change will come.
My powerful invisible friend Hope calls out to me,” this is  nothing there is light out there.”
Stay calm count your blessings.
I your friend  Hope have been through far worse than this. 

Re: My Friend Hope

Excellent piece of writing Peatle.     

The King Of Audio Torture

Hi Peatle.

you began by speaking of your defiance of the covid-19 virus then moved on to how your lands were invaded and your people slaughtered? I sincerely hope that my ancestors were not involved with that invasion?
A very moving and insightful piece of writing as I've come to expect from you. Hope will see us through this bad time.
Be safe my friend.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

4 (edited by Peatle Jville 2020-04-25 04:36:19)

Thank you EB I hope my written rantings make sense it is a follow on from that old saying hope springs eternal.

Cheers Phill  when  I  wrote  about Invaders and Oppressors I was looking at  it on a global history basis  which could be any country or race in the world. At sometime in history whether it be world wars,  people in Nazi concentration camps  or way back further people and tribes have invaded others or have been invaded themselves. To me what happens is the spirit of hope drives people on when times are bad. Even if  we go back a short time in global history some major events such as the 1914 to 1918 world war followed by the 1918 to 1920 flu pandemic, followed nine years later in 1929 to 1939 by the world wide depression followed by the 1939 to 1945 world war and so on, people went through alot. They wouldnt have got through without some sort of faith and hope in their aspirational thoughts. Because of hope their courage and resilience didn't  desert them. My mother who is 99 years young has told me this is the time for this generation to experience a global threat and they should come out of it better in the long term. Another chapter in history's rollercoaster ride, but for some of our young ones sacrifice is a foreign word because everything has gone good for them so far. I must qualify that further even in modern times some young ones have been through fires , hurricanes, earthquakes and shootings just to name a few things and this has helped shape their world view bringing out the best in some of them and the worst in others. This pandemic will do the same on a bigger global scale.
Wishing you and your family good health.

Peatle. As a follow on, every Thursday evening at 8pm loads of people all over the UK stand at their doorsteps and applaud the invaluable and life threatening work they do. Last night I saw something I haven't seen for many years; after the clapping people, keeping to the two metre rule, stood and chatted with neighbours! This pandemic has brought out the spirit that got us through the blitz and the cold war. Let us hope the plonkers that have their fingers poised over the nuclear buttons aren't stupid enough to push them! HOPE     

6 (edited by Peatle Jville 2020-04-25 04:41:14)

Cheers Phill the thought that someone can press a button and start a nuclear war scares me. Thankfully the powerful have been saber-rattling around weapons of destruction so far in modern times. France wasnt very happy with New Zealand back in the eighties protesting against their nuclear bomb testing on Moruroa, atol in the south Pacific. It  ended up in 1985 with the bombing and sinking of the Rainbow Warrior, by the French foreign intelligence service. The ship,  was  berthed at a wharf on Auckland harbour New Zealand. The pandemic here even though people  are in their safety bubbles  has brought out a good community spirit. Now things have slowed down they have time to stop look at nature and talk to each other even though it is from a distance.  We are just hoping the big job losses and pain will pass and we will come out of this stronger and better. HOPE is leading us on.     
Today  Saturday here is Anzac Day it  is a national day of remembrance in Australia and New Zealand that broadly commemorates all Australians and New Zealanders "who served and died in all wars, conflicts, and peacekeeping operations" and "the contribution and suffering of all those who have served. The Covid-19 lockdown has cancelled Anzac services today, but this morning thousands of Kiwis are not letting it stop them paying their respects.
Up and down the country, New Zealanders gathered at their letterboxes, front doors and living rooms as part of a "Stand at Dawn" campaign, many also were tuning in to a live stream of a virtual Anzac Day services. On my street  at 6am many stood at the front of their houses quietly in rememberance while the Last Post was played and the RSA ode was read out.
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.
This is the fourth stanza from Laurence Binyon's poem For the Fallen. Referred to here as the Returned Service Association  Ode of Remembrance

cool stuff boys !

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

I am not sure of the greeting for Anzac Day though I have seen a lot about their bravery in the face of the enemy and the idiot generals that sent them into withering machine gun fire. Let us hope those days are gone forever.     

reminds me of .....
Lord Tennyson's Charge of the light brigade

into the valley rode the 600....     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

yeah, led by a load of lords and generals that bought their commissions. there was a time when kings and generals had to prove themselves by leading their troops into battle. william the conqueror gave land and privileges to his knights that distinguished themselves at hastings which they handed down to their sons and so on until we come to the chinless wonders that sat miles away from the action sending brave men into suicidal charges. how the dickens did the human race survive so long?     

11 (edited by Peatle Jville 2020-04-25 23:28:16)

Jim that poem The Charge of the Light Brigade By Alfred, Lord Tennyson  I often think of that verse in it
“Forward, the Light Brigade!”
Was there a man dismayed?
Not though the soldier knew
   Someone had blundered.
   Theirs not to make reply,
   Theirs not to reason why,
   Theirs but to do and die.
   Into the valley of Death
   Rode the six hundred.

Phill you are right the days when Kings and Generals had to show valour by leading their troops into battle deserved respect. In the wars that followed that where the commanders gave orders from their safe positions many lifes were used as  cannon fodder by the powers that controlled them and were butchered like lambs at the slaughter. The Gallipoli campaign was  a major stuff up by the commanders. By the time the campaign ended, more than 130,000 men had died: at least 87,000 Ottoman soldiers and 44,000 Allied soldiers, including more than 8700 Australians. Among the dead were 2779 New Zealanders, about a sixth of all those who had landed on the peninsula.  The Gallipoli campaign was a relatively minor aspect of the First World War. The number of dead, although horrific, pales in comparison with the casualties on the Western Front in France and Belgium. Nevertheless, for New Zealand, along with Australia and Turkey, it has great significance.
In Turkey, the campaign marked the beginning of a national revival. The Ottoman hero of Gallipoli, Mustafa Kemal, would eventually become, as Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, the founding President of the Turkish Republic. In New Zealand (and Australia), Gallipoli helped foster a developing sense of national identity. Those at home were proud of how their men had performed on the world stage, establishing a reputation for fighting hard in difficult conditions.
Anzac Day grew out of this pride. First observed on 25 April 1916, the date of the landing has become a crucial part of the fabric of national life – a time for remembering not only those who died at Gallipoli, but all New Zealanders who have served their country in times of war and peace.   I will attach the song The Band Sang Waltzing Matilda which I think is a good song about that bit of history that started ANZAC day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZqN1glz4JY

very touching...