Topic: Charlie Daniels

Lost another one.

https://relix.com/news/detail/in-memori … 4b4270def6

Country music legend Charlie Daniels passed away this morning after he suffered a hemorrhagic stroke. He was 83 years old.

Daniels was a member of the Country Music Hall of Fame, and his best known recording was his 1979 single “The Devil Went Down To Georgia,” which was released with The Charlie Daniels Band.

Born in Wilmington, N.C. in 1936, Daniels grew up listening to Pentecostal gospel music, bluegrass and country. In the mid-to-late-1960s, he worked as a session musician in Nashville. During that time, he played on three Bob Dylan albums (providing guitar and electric bass work), as well as playing fiddle on the Marshall Tucker Band’s early albums.

In 1973, Daniels reached number 9 on the Billboard Hot 100 with the novelty song “Uneasy Rider.” Two years later, he would reach the top 30 (with The Charlie Daniels Band) with “The South’s Gonna Do It Again.” Finally, in 1979, he reached number 3 on the charts with the aforementioned “The Devil Went Down To Georgia,” which also earned Daniels a Grammy Award for Best Country Vocal Performance.

In 2008, Daniels was inducted into the Grand Ole Opry, and in 2016, he became a member of the Country Music Hall of Fame.

“Charlie Daniels was a reverential innovator. He was a fiddle-playing bandleader, like King of Country Music Roy Acuff. His music fused the immediacy of Southern Rock with the classic country storytelling that he heard as a child in Wilmington, North Carolina,” said Kyle Young the CEO of the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum (via press release). “He brought new audiences to country music, pointing people to the sources even as he explored the edges. He was also a delight to be around, always with wife Hazel at his side. Just as fiddler Johnny did in the famous song, Charlie Daniels beat the Devil.”

Daniels is survived by his wife, Hazel, and son Charlie Daniels Jr. 

2 (edited by beamer 2020-07-06 20:36:53)

Re: Charlie Daniels

Wow that sucks!  We cant live forever.  I guess im listening to CDB greatest hists on the way home!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

3 (edited by Classical Guitar 2020-07-06 21:40:42)

Rest in peace. You already beat the devil so play well in heaven.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

RIP Charlie ...     

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic

He was very popular here in NZ.
RIP Charlie.     

6 (edited by beamer 2020-07-07 17:35:29)

I forgot to mention I went to see him when I was in 8th grade or so. 
I will say I was to young to apriciate all his cool songs as I just wanted to hear The devile went down to
Georgia, and he and the band really just stood there on stage bearly moving.  I wish I had paid more attention.

I also missed him live on the USS Saratoga (CV60) during Desert Shield/Storm.  he did a one man show, but I worekd nights , so I had to enjoy it form the ships tv taping.
Still he was super cool and very good on his own with guitar aqnd fiddle (borrowed from a crew memeber because he had not brought his.)  The guy ran to his bunk and got it, Charlie trashed that bow! Then he got the guys info.  Pretty sure that new, and probably much better, bow never got used when the guy got it!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Cool story beamer. Thanks for sharing it with us. smile     

I saw him live once. It was at an outdoor venue. Unlike other artists who have a warm-up act, CDB hit it hard right out of the gate. They played all the songs someone would want to hear them play. None of this, "Oh, that's so old, I don't like to do that any more." Nope. People wanted to hear it, and they played it. Then they planned a longer intermission than usual, but that's when they had another musician come and entertain. Because it was a stage that's set up and taken down for each show, everything didn't always fit too perfectly, and so the curtains closed but you could still see a little back stage.  While that other musician put on a very good performance of roots rock and Americana music (I don't recall who it was), we could see as stage hands brought out a kitchen table, set it with a table cloth and proper dishes, and put out a chicken dinner for Mr. Daniels who sat down and enjoyed it. While he ate, he used excellent table manners, even though so far as he knew he was eating alone. When he was done, the table was whisked away, Mr. Daniels washed up, and soon was ready to play the second half of his excellent show.     

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude