Topic: Nashville Tuning

I have a Breedlove OM Retro that I bought from Dirty Ed a while back. It's a wonderful guitar that I've always thought sounded better with lighter strings than heavier ones. It has a terrific mid and high tone response.

I had put an extended nut on it and was trying to learn lap steel, but that did not work out so well. Mostly just me not taking the time to practice with intention.

Last night, I took off the nut extender and restrung it with Nashville Tuning strings. The G string broke, but fortunately I had a replacement string of the same diameter in my "spare strings" drawer and was able to replace it.

Boy, it sounds wonderful set up like this. I was surprised that I didn't need to do a neck adjustment with the much lower string tension, but the action was great. I did a fret leveling while I was at it. It plays like butter now.

I'll post a video in a couple days once I've had a chance to figure out a proper arrangement for the new sound. I tried playing Cat Stevens Wild World and also Steven Still's Southern Cross, and they both sounded pretty good. I think some Tom Petty may sound real good on it too, since he has some real good 12 string strummers. 

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Nashville Tuning

Excellent Zurf!  I bet that Breedlove sounds great.  As you know, I've played around with Nashville tuning for years. My latest set up is on an all-mahogany Alvarez Mastercraft parlor (MPA66SHB) that just sings with those high strings on her. Besides the songs you mentioned, I suggest trying "Someday Soon", "Sounds of Silence", "Mr Tambourine Man" and "If You Could Read My Mind". Those four are probably my favorites I play in Nashville tuning. I finger pick them with metal finger picks.

I'm looking forward your video.

DE     

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QSHE2ncLU8kGyq4V7

Recording.     

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Sounds great Zurf,would love to hear more of your posts.     

The King Of Audio Torture

Dirty Ed wrote:

Excellent Zurf!  I bet that Breedlove sounds great.  As you know, I've played around with Nashville tuning for years. My latest set up is on an all-mahogany Alvarez Mastercraft parlor (MPA66SHB) that just sings with those high strings on her. Besides the songs you mentioned, I suggest trying "Someday Soon", "Sounds of Silence", "Mr Tambourine Man" and "If You Could Read My Mind". Those four are probably my favorites I play in Nashville tuning. I finger pick them with metal finger picks.

I'm looking forward your video.

DE

Thanks. Those are good recommendations. Probably not Mr. Tambourine Man for me. But the others maybe. BGD recommended Del Shannon's Runaway. I gave it a quick try and it made the cut.

I'm so used to trying to play both a bass line and the strumming pattern or the picking pattern simultaneously that just strumming has been the biggest challenge for me trying to make this tuning sound good. I'm eager to try some multi-track recordings with it.     

6 (edited by Dirty Ed 2021-01-15 17:18:17)

Thanks. Those are good recommendations. Probably not Mr. Tambourine Man for me. But the others maybe. BGD recommended Del Shannon's Runaway. I gave it a quick try and it made the cut.

I'm so used to trying to play both a bass line and the strumming pattern or the picking pattern simultaneously that just strumming has been the biggest challenge for me trying to make this tuning sound good. I'm eager to try some multi-track recordings with it.

We seem to be polar opposites. I rarely strum when playing in Nashville tuning other than occasionally accenting certain notes. Like you,  I experimented with different styles but found  I like the sound of metal finger picks on the strings and the sound of the bass runs that are an octave above my other guitars.

I've occasionally been asked to play at openings of new shows at a local art gallery. No vocals, just providing some back round "ambience" while patrons are sipping wine and ogling the art work.    I usually finger pick 12-15 songs, take a break and then play the same songs on my Nashville tuned guitar. The sound is so different that no seems to notice  I'm repeating the same set.  (or my finger picking  is so bad the songs don't sound the same).

DE                                                                         .

I haven't tried finger picking it yet.

I was trying to get the background rhythm guitar you hear faintly on some of the old outlaw country songs, and on songs in the Country Rock continuum (Eagles, Petty, etc.).

I'll give finger picking a try once I get the rhythm sound I started this adventure out seeking down a little better.

Zurf I love that crisp sound your guitar strings make . The high tones sound great without too much bass sound.     

Peatle Jville wrote:

Zurf I love that crisp sound your guitar strings make . The high tones sound great without too much bass sound.

Thanks.

I realized that I failed to describe what Nashville tuning is.

It's much lighter gauge low E through G strings such that they tune to an octave higher than regular strings. The B and high E strings are the same as a regularly strung/tuned guitar. It's a little strange when you pick through string by string because the G string has a higher tone than the B string. When I broke the string during stringing and had to dig up a replacement, I had to pull it from an electric set of strings I had laying about because it was only .009" diameter. I don't have any acoustic strings that light. The lightest I've got is .010". 

It wounds up sounding a lot like a 12 string to me.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Sa12LNJX8e8ciHue8

Head to head between Nashville tuning and regular tuning. Finger picking the introduction to Live Forever by Billy Joe Shafer.     

For me the easiest way to explain Nashville tuning is using the six octave strings that are on a 12 string. On a 12 string guitar the "extra" strings on the E,A,D and G are an octave higher and the B and E strings are tuned the same as the normal B and E.  If you bought a set of strings and split them between two six string guitars, one would be in regular tuning and the other would be Nashville tuned.