1 (edited by Dirty Ed 2021-03-01 09:36:36)

Topic: Wild Oats - a Birthday Song

Today is my 71st birthday, or as I like to say, I'm just 18 with an extra 53 years experience. Back when I turned 58 I wrote a song about getting older called "Wild Oats". I played it one evening at an open mic venue and someone recorded it and posted it on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHsenGdNw2g

A few years later I decided to record another CD (my 4th) with 15 originals and decided to include Wild Oats. I'd asked by old paddling buddy John Victor to play harmonica on some of the songs. We were recording at another friends home studio which he had made out of an outbuilding in his backyard. It was summer and it had a window air conditioner which had to be turned off whenever we were ready to record. The song seemed a little long when recorded, I decided to drop the last verse and make a couple changes so the air had been off for a while. Finally John started yelling "Turn on that damn air conditioner" in an old man's voice that cracked up me and Jeff. I was hit with an idea and asked John if he could just ad lib and do the "Old Man" voice throughout the song. Here's how it ended up:

https://soundcloud.com/user-198880521/p … -way-again

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

2 (edited by Peatle Jville 2021-03-01 09:46:50)

Re: Wild Oats - a Birthday Song

Love that live performance Ken.  The soundcloud very clever adlib talking by John a enjoyable fun listen..     HAPPY BIRTHDAY KEN.

Thanks Peatle!     

Hysterical! It's early morning and that's started my day perfectly. Reminds me of Johnny Cash singing that song about the Cadillac, same sort of style not tune or content. Loved the Sesamy street rap and harmonica and the guitar and vocal are exceptional. Thanks for posting.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

That is just so funny with some very clever lyrics. I particularly like the line about playing with a full deck but deal a little slower. Really enjoyed listening.     

Thick as two short planks

6 (edited by TIGLJK 2021-03-03 01:35:32)

Ken,

OMG - just had a chance to listen - frigging hysterically great !

I can't help but laugh out loud at some of the lines.

Great performance - loved the guitar work.

That is some some song !  - It's the old man's national anthem !     

I'll be celebrating the 48th Anniversary of my 21st Birthday this summer !

Cheers,

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Thanks for all the comments and kind words everybody.