Topic: I DID IT!!!

I just played "Distantly in Love", which has a bridge that goes from F#m to G to F#m to G to F#m to G to E to A. 

And I played it INCLUDING THE F#m BARRE CHORD AND THE F SHAPED BARRE CHORD FORM OF G!!!

I may never be able to do it again, but I did it once by golly.  I'll work some songs with F and F#m in them into my mix to get more practice at using barre chords in songs so that I can shift to them and away from them more easily.  It is incredibly easier to play a barre chord on this folk guitar instead of the classical.  But I am having to strum it the right way holding the pick the right way, so that's been a challange to overcome that sloppiness in training.  I'd fire my teacher for letting me get away with it for so long but it's tough to fire myself. 

I am just SO STOKED right now.  Learning to do new stuff is COOL!!!

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

2 (edited by trippy 2007-09-08 16:48:46)

Re: I DID IT!!!

like they say here in spain: " Ole, Ole y Ole",
   glad you made it!

OK, so here's how cocky I am.  After strumming through exactly one song with a couple of barre chords in it but mostly open chords, I decided to try Sister Golden Hair, which is the exact opposite.  It's all barre chords with just a couple of open chords in it.  Things did not go well.

- Zurf

p.s. But it was fun.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I have had some trouble with bar chords as well, but a song that really helped me out was sublimes song Boss DJ, it is mostly just G and C but then near the end it switches to a bar G (third fret) sliding to a barred A# (sixth fret) and then proceeds farther up the neck to a barred C (eighth fret) and a barred D (tenth fret), this gave me alot of trouble at first, especially the root C to the barred G, but after I got that down it seemed so much easier to do bar chords on just about every song, and its a very fun song to play.  To this day I find myself playing it all the time around camp fires and such, even though hardly anyone who isnt a sublime fan knows it, its still a crowd fav tongue anyway, just thought I would throw this out there for you, maybe it could help.

-BC

keep on pluggin after w while barre chords will be eay or atleast easier keep trying sister golden hair thats a great song to just keep practicing and when you get youll say Wow and thatt was hard at one point now lets do something harder like stariway to heaven rythym guitar solo part thingy

So Red Delicious

Thanks.  I'll not be playing Stairway to Heaven as I may be the one and only guitar player wannabe that is not a Zep fan.  But there's a whole lot of folk music out there with a ton of barre chords in it that's beyond my reach at this point.

I've started working on songs that include F#m with nice easy transitions.  Johnny Cash's Unchained and Jimmy Buffett's Distantly in Love are the current songs I'm using to learn this challange. 

Once I get the transition from an open chord to F#m back to another open chord working smoothly and sounding good, then I'll try Sister Golden Hair until I get it right with all it's F and F#m shaped barre chords.  And then the world is my oyster.  At least until I start trying to figure out hammer ons, pull offs, scale/arpeggio patterns on guitar, mutes, pick control for pluck/strum patterns, etc. and so forth. 

- Zurf

You are not alone. While I do like Led Zep in small doses I cannot go them for any legth of time. Far too self indulgent for me. No need for a 3 minute song to last for 20 mins.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Yep ALVEE33, you're 100% right: Led Zeppelin, or Zep is Zep, and if you enter a guitar store, they don't play no longer "the house of the rising sun". You hera OR stairway, or useless solos played by youngsters for MINUTES: what brand they take, they put it in an amp, with a lot of distortion, and that's where the problem starts: you don't hear longer the difference of a squier versus a fender, because playing loud solos with a lot of effects: all brands sound similar. I have the luck to be at home, and being able to go during the week

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

You guys are all crazy.  If you don't want to play like Jimmy Page, you just don't want to play!

Jimmy is Gawd.  big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Jimmy Page is talented.  He is also a self-indulgent occultist.  I have no desire to imitate him, including his playing style.  There's a lot of amazing pickers out there to learn from that I feel quite comfortable with my decision to ignore Mr. Page's contributions, skillful as they are. 

If the only way for me to play was to imitate Jimmy Page and give credit to his overblown sense of self, I'd burn my guitar.  It's not all about playing. 

- Zurf

If you think Jimmy's only contribution is his self-indulgent sense of self (and find me a rock star that doesn't share that) then you're not paying attention.   They guy is in the R&R Hall of Fame twice.  He was not only the lead for Zep, but the Yardbirds as well.  He is as meticulous a player as you will find, and was one of the more innovative producers of the time, and pretty much ushered in modern recording techniques, and invented a few of his own.

As far as being an "occultists" I'm going to attribute to it what I do to all such accusations. Pure, unadulterated hogwash.

12 (edited by alvee33 2007-09-10 19:08:47)

I'd love to be able to play like Jimmy Page. The problem is everyone else in the room would be bored titless. Playing is fun. There are many songs (not just Zep songs) I don't really care for but put a guitar in my hand and let me play it with a group of pals and I'll play it as many times as required. Cos it's fun. Maybe not fun for the guys in the next tent or whatever but great fun for the ones playing it. I hope you understand what I mean.

Or maybe I'm just getting old.

jerome.oneil wrote:

As far as being an "occultists" I'm going to attribute to it what I do to all such accusations. Pure, unadulterated hogwash.

If you do a quick Google search of Jimmy Page and Occult, I think you'll find that there is a well-documented and thorough relationship there.  Or perhaps Google 'Jimmy Page and Crowley' (Mr. Crowley was a renowned Satanist and Mr. Page is a big fan to the extent of purchasing a former Crowley home and having the world's second largest collection of his writings). 

Further, he signed on to write the soundtrack to a film titled, "Lucifer Rising", the point of which is that Lucifer is the bringer of light to a fallen world.  He was fired for not performing.  (I find some irony in that.) 

Now, I can see how some folks could choose only to look at Mr. Page's significant accomplishments.  However, his personal habits and beliefs bother me sufficiently that  I choose not to revel in Mr. Page's luminescence.   

- Zurf

I've seen lots of third party commentary and speculation, but Page himself has stated that it was a "casual" interest.  His ability to collect things no more makes him an "occultist" than my interest in Lewis and Clark makes me a "trailblazing explorer."

If you want to knock his personal life, "recovering drug addict" is a much more accurate, and factual claim.

I think you mis-understand me Jerome.  I am not knocking his personal life.  However, I do disapprove of his choices and long-abiding interests sufficiently that it interferes with my ability to enjoy his music, so I have no interest in attempting to replicate it or study it. 

I am not judging Mr. Page, leaving him to his wishes and never once suggesting that he should do anything other than what he desires.  Further, I'm leaving you to your wishes and tastes as well, more than once having said I can understand how you would hold him in high regard.  But at the same time it wouldn't be right to expect me to roll over and play dead regarding my own choices, viewpoints, and decisions when I see someone who is decidedly not interested in God (regardless of spelling) being compared to Him and having it suggested that I ought to emulate the individual in question. 

His drug addiction is not part of my assessment of his character.  I have known too many addicts not to know that it carries it's own judgment and sentence, which is usually much harsher than anyone would like.  I have nothing but compassion for that particular circumstance. 

- Zurf

This thread has some spunk to it! 
Zurf, congrats on the breakthrough!  First time I played a clean barre chord, I never wanted to take my fingers off the strings--figured it might be the only time I got it.  I'm working on this song now with this intro progression that could be some good practice; E (at the 7th fret), B (at the 7th), A (5th), C#m (4th), Bsus (3rd), A2.  As recorded, it's capo 2 so you wind up on the 9th fret trying to squeeze out that E.  Good song--"This is a Call" by Thousand Foot Crutch.
And I never liked Zep either--I know this could be sacralidge to some, but Plant's vocals are like nails on a chalkboard to me.

jerome.oneil wrote:

Page himself has stated that it was a "casual" interest.

Much the same way as Garry Glitter has a casual interest in children.

I think I may have gone too far. Feel free to delete.

Hey Zurf, working on barre chords myself. I can't believe I was afraid of them for all these years. When you get them right, it's the best feeling in the world. Keep practicing.

Yeah, sorry for getting sidetracked.  Hi-jacked my own thread. 

Thanks for the encouragement guys.  As far as Mr. Page, all I meant to do is state that while I recognize his talent and accomplishments that I am not interested in emulating him and prefer to learn from the styles of many other talented musicians.  Some of his decisions have overshadowed his talent as far as I'm concerned.  It would have been better to have left it at that.  Chalk my crankiness up to too little sleep and dealing with a headstrong child stuck in the midst of the "Terrible Twos."  Apologies to Jerome. 

- Zurf

Cranky is what makes the neenernet so much fun, dude.  big_smile   No apologies necessary.