Topic: why is it?

why is it  when my friends ask me to learn a new song for our annual get together it never fails to requires the vocal range of Roy Orbison and the chords are a bowl of alphabet soup?
i am three chords and a cloud of dust with a mono tone  vocal range , they best really be hammered when they ask me to play it . just saying 

out of tune out of key and out of touch

Re: why is it?

Mojo,

You playing alphabet soup chords and gigantic ranges of of vocals, even hammered, is 1000 % better than me playing and singing one chord and a nursery rhyme  smile
Just saying

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

My covers of other peoples songs are best heard by the deaf. The ones with hearing have learnt not to ask me to attempt to cover someone else's song. Most probably I could be used as a way of getting people to go home. Once I start singing and playing everyone suddenly realizes they need to leave and head home.     

If there are more than four chords, it's the song-writer's fault.     

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf
Good to hear from you!!

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

when the falling down liquid get to my son (and he can put them away) he will tell me to get my guitar out and "give us a tune dad." my reply is " i am an artiste and i only perform for money." which is a lie as i'm happy to play at the drop of a hat but not to family or when i'm drinking or when i'm sober!
my advice: get your excuses ready before hand     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Phill Williams wrote:

when the falling down liquid get to my son (and he can put them away) he will tell me to get my guitar out and "give us a tune dad." my reply is " i am an artiste and i only perform for money." which is a lie as i'm happy to play at the drop of a hat but not to family or when i'm drinking or when i'm sober!
my advice: get your excuses ready before hand

could not have said it better     

out of tune out of key and out of touch