Topic: Chordie Thoughts.

I have been thinking about chordie today and wondering where the old community has gone. When I was introduced to chordie about six years ago there was lots of people posting. Now we seem to be down to just a few. This leads me to the  question are the people who view these posts just passing by observers or chordies who feel like they have nothing more to offer?? Even posting this I feel like I’m posting to an empty void in space where I am talking to myself rather than an audience. Feedback please. 

Re: Chordie Thoughts.

your right only seems to be a handful of people posting. i know i am guilty of reading a lot post and not responding sometimes     

out of tune out of key and out of touch

I know what you mean,probably why i dont bother  much either.
But i have great chats away from chordie,there are a couple chordians that are keen to engage.
So we just do it that way.     

The King Of Audio Torture

I still check in. Just haven`t posted anything in awhile.     

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Cheers everyone thank you for your feedback it is good to know your still  out there looking in. I can't really say I am the best at this as my internet habits are erratic.  I check my emails most days but when it comes to websites I sometimes don't look in for weeks on end. I try and check out chordie at least once a week., With my health picking up especially in the last 24 hours now they have reduced my meds from today and our winter coming up I will most probably check in more often.     

Kia ora Pedr. Bet you can't guess who this is?
It's an awful shame that more strummers, beaters and plonkers (keyboards players) not to mention writers and composers can't up date their profile here as they do on face book etc?
Glad to know Pete has updated his profile to tell us he's feeling a little better. As for myself...the sun is shining, the day is warm and I managed to sleep until 11am. Only down side, Ann wants me to take her shopping!

Piri     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Peatle

Agreed. 

In fact I was excited today to see the post by Strummerboy Bill - but alas it was just a newbie replying to an old post of his.

I was thinking the other day about  a couple of the girls that used to be here regularly - Kiki Jan, Mekidsmom, (Amy)
They come to my thoughts often.

Thanks for the reminder.

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

TIGLJK wrote:

Peatle

Agreed. 

In fact I was excited today to see the post by Strummerboy Bill - but alas it was just a newbie replying to an old post of his.

I was thinking the other day about  a couple of the girls that used to be here regularly - Kiki Jan, Mekidsmom, (Amy)
They come to my thoughts often.

Thanks for the reminder.

Jim

Cheers Jim
I miss Bill he use to email me I haven't heard from him since last year. He is truly a Legend of Chordie I hope him and Dondra are okay. Mekidsmom and many others seemed to have disappeared. I miss the female input on here . I  think Easybeat still has contact with Kiki Jan but I haven't heard from her for a while.
I suppose also with Covid   things have changed for the chordie group over in the USA. I remember you guys use to get together. I think it was called it Chordiestock.
Thank you it got me doing a reminisce.     

9 (edited by Peatle Jville 2021-04-03 03:50:38)

Phill Williams wrote:

Kia ora Pedr. Bet you can't guess who this is?
It's an awful shame that more strummers, beaters and plonkers (keyboards players) not to mention writers and composers can't up date their profile here as they do on face book etc?
Glad to know Pete has updated his profile to tell us he's feeling a little better. As for myself...the sun is shining, the day is warm and I managed to sleep until 11am. Only down side, Ann wants me to take her shopping!

Piri

Iechyd da! Piri
I know what you mean about shopping. Maree has a Black Belt in shopping. When I do shop with "She Who Must Be Obeyed" it does buy me  brownie points for any misdemeanors  that I have committed. Apart from going to a good music shop which I enjoy shopping to me is a bit of a chore. Though garden centers and hardware stores are ok when I have something in mind that I want. Saturday sun shinning here today tomorrow NZ moves its clocks back one hour. Winter first official day here is June the 1st. At the moment this is our Autumn.
Ka kiti ano
Pedr

I check in almost every day. I just don't have a lot to say. smile     

unclejoesband wrote:

I check in almost every day. I just don't have a lot to say. smile

Hi UJB
how's it going I enjoyed watching the videos with you and your friend playing guitar and singing. Are you and him still playing music together?????
Good to see your still around.
Pete     

I also check in daily but don't always post. There does seem to be a bit of an exodus from theory and I don't understand but we have had a lot of spam over the past few years and I wonder if some of those posts has scared people away.     

13 (edited by Peatle Jville 2021-04-04 07:22:05)

Cheers Grah I have never figured out what the spammers  are trying to achieve or what the point of their silly game is. With many people around  the world in lockdown over ther  last year, I was thinking people would have had more internet time but maybe not. I am sure chordie has a bigger potential to get people sharing ideas but most probably it is a thing of people not perceiving that.  I am not sure how one would get more people to look in and post.

I must admit I dont check in or post that often after it slowed down but I still come by to read and take care of spam and such once in a while I post a video but my health has slowed me down I will be 80 this year (good lord willing) I have had to suspend playing gigs just dont have the oxygen for it due to my emphysema, it kinda bums me out but I have to accept my limitations and make the best of it. On a up note I still practice and record but the ideas for song writing just dont flow as much as they used to and old age is everything it's cracked down to believe LOL and I am to much of an egotist to give up. smile     

"Growing old is not for sissies"

15 (edited by Peatle Jville 2021-04-04 23:09:44)

Russell being a  young man in my head myself with an old mans body and breathing problems it sucks but the good thing is we don't let it stop us enjoying life.  I walk about a   hundred yard and I have to take a breather took me a  while to get my head around my old body but all good as I feel my life is good. Man your playing is real cool and the videos you make I enjoy  hearing and seeing  you putting the music out on the interweb.  Keep on rocking that guitar brother.

Will do Loremaster I appreciate the thoughts smile     

Pete, as you brought it up I thought I'd explain why the spammers...well spam. THEY GET PAID FOR EACH POST THEY MAKE! Sorry for shouting but it makes me mad!
Hi Russ long time no hear, stay safe and well me old mate.     

I've said it before, and I got a whole lot of pushback including extremely rude treatment and accusations from people I had thought knew me better.

The site suffered from over-moderation when making an adjustment could have made a difference because there was still new traffic. I am not making this up. I am relaying what people I invited to join us and gave us a try had to say. Further, the treatment to which I referred in the first sentence was so severe three former moderators left the site over it. 

Sorry to be blunt, but it's no mystery why prior active members have left. As for failing to attract new members, the entire forum format is off worldwide. Attracting new members will be a distinct challenge at best, and given that the decisions that frustrated prior members to the point that they determined other venues were preferable have been reinforced and are unlikely to change, even in the unlikely event new people choose to visit it's unlikely they'll stay for long. 

This is my opinion on the matter. I will not be defending it or addressing any commentary about it given the foul treatment I received the last time I brought it up.     

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hi Phill yeah it has been a trying last 4 years with the man baby in charge and covid 19 it will take some time and effort to turn it around hope all is well with you and your lady and you stay safe as well smile

Phill Williams wrote:

Pete, as you brought it up I thought I'd explain why the spammers...well spam. THEY GET PAID FOR EACH POST THEY MAKE! Sorry for shouting but it makes me mad!
Hi Russ long time no hear, stay safe and well me old mate.

20 (edited by beamer 2021-04-05 20:38:31)

Zurf wrote:

I've said it before, and I got a whole lot of pushback including extremely rude treatment and accusations from people I had thought knew me better.

The site suffered from over-moderation when making an adjustment could have made a difference because there was still new traffic. I am not making this up. I am relaying what people I invited to join us and gave us a try had to say. Further, the treatment to which I referred in the first sentence was so severe three former moderators left the site over it. 

Sorry to be blunt, but it's no mystery why prior active members have left. As for failing to attract new members, the entire forum format is off worldwide. Attracting new members will be a distinct challenge at best, and given that the decisions that frustrated prior members to the point that they determined other venues were preferable have been reinforced and are unlikely to change, even in the unlikely event new people choose to visit it's unlikely they'll stay for long. 

This is my opinion on the matter. I will not be defending it or addressing any commentary about it given the foul treatment I received the last time I brought it up.

Z and I have talked about this many times.  He is hitting on all cylinders and i agree. 

I continue to post mainly because it is a free  and easy time / date stamp and poor mans C/W, also makes for easy sharing of info.

last time I looked the average age here was, and this is being generous, Well over 35.  yet language and topics  were censored in the name of "rules and family atmosphere"  - the battle is lost among the sea of Apps and public pages with higher traffic and younger  adults and more freedom of expression.

I have to blank out many lyrics or change them entirely from how I do them live just to not get booted off a post in Songs or Poetry.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I   must  admit   I  only  post  stuff on here  which has  little  or  no  political or rude  content as  I've  always  seen it  as  a  family   friendly forum  .Some of my  live   performances   which   can  be  found  on  you tube  often have content  which  can cause offense  in some  instances  and   to  groups  of  a  certain  ilk .To  which  I  say  I  pick  and  choose   venues  which  are  suitable  for  adult  content  and  always  ask the   management  if  what  I do  is  liable  to  cause  offence. As  Scott says posting   on a  forum  does  date stamp  work  and back  up  copy wright. Which  can only  be a good  thing .
As   long  as  I  have  something  to  say  I  will  continue  to  post and  actively promote Chordie   as  I  feel  it  has  given plenty  to  me over  the  years  and  I  hope  it  will  begin to  grow  again .     

Hi UJB
how's it going I enjoyed watching the videos with you and your friend playing guitar and singing. Are you and him still playing music together?????
Good to see your still around.
Pete

Thank you. Yes we still play together. We played for about 6 hours at a birthday party a couple weeks ago. My fingers were mush by the end of the night. :lol

beamer wrote:

the battle is lost among the sea of Apps and public pages with higher traffic and younger  adults and more freedom of expression.

Truth.

Forums have been suffering for years as the tech allows for more instant communication. The younger folks seem to not want to take the time to wait for a forum response.     

bourbon seems to have an effect on when and how much i post     

out of tune out of key and out of touch

Cheers Phill  thank you for enlightening me on Spammers  I didn’t realise these Vermin of cyberspace were doing it for money. They use to sell a product here in shops from America called Spam. It was a tin meat product that people used in sandwiches a product  I don’t see around today.  Another thing in the same vein when butcher shops were everywhere they made and sold brawn. People like my  fathers parents had it on sandwiches. Opps sorry I have seque to another topic.

Zurf I didn’t realise there was previous tension in our chordie community with each other and also the Moderators and the people. There is no need for members to treat each other with rude and foul treatment so that is good that you have brought that out into the open, even though you don’t want to pursue the subject any further.  Moving forward I hope that sort of thing is now in the past and our good Moderators have a handle on not being too heavy handed or controlling while respecting people. I know at one stage there was a bit of a minority musical puritan element on here that felt that any banter outside the discussion of music was unnecessary.  They no longer post on here those people.  So I did have a past moderator tell me that people on here were not interested in my side-line banter and to focus on the music.  I didn’t take offence at the time but I did feel that part of the enjoyment of chordie is also learning about people and different life’s on here. Just like sitting around a campfire playing music and enjoying each other's company. . Aside from that one discussion I don’t think I have had any conflict but if I did it is all in the spirit of respectful debate.

Beamer you have a good point this site demographic recently has been older men . Where are the ladies and younger people not here? People like me tend to be out of touch with the modern world though I am not saying, because I am like that everyone else is on here.  The fact that  chordie is family friendly means it is not going to appeal to everyone who are a bit more into the modern culture and way of expression. That to me part of the charm of this site is the way one has to deliberately put on ones thinking cap on to put thoughts and music across. Though it is sad we are not attracting new input, chordie does have something special and unique. Maybe we are an old-style institution sailing into the sunset disappearing out of sight of this modern world soon to be a charming piece of history. To me it would be great to get some more diversity on here but also retain that family value and I myself have no idea how that would happen. This discussion has been real good.

Grah your post tells it good chordie in its own way gives a lot to people like me.

UJB good one playing for six hours is a good work out. I agree with you modern tech has changed people's expectations and it is most probably making people more impatient if something doesn’t happen at a press of a button.

Mojo One Bourbon, One Scotch, and One Beer. if it is good enough John Lee Hooker or George Thorogood it might do the trick for me also.     

Pete, I never knew that banter and off music topic was not allowed? There's been lots of posts in "chat" regarding fishing kayaking sports etc. My opinion on that is; if you don't have an opinion or are not interested go to the next post or begin your own thread with a topic that interests you!
Ann tells me she comes third after music and my grandkids, I can't argue that!
I don't bother with other sites. I can't be doing with trolls and the like. I am on Twitter but rarely go there. I've always tried to be friendly and helpful to all our members and thought everyone else was too?
The forums are for our members to ask questions, get help, give opinions and most of all help others.