Topic: People Power

I wrote this after getting an ear bashing from a person on why they have never voted in a political election. After that they went on about how much they hate our present Government and the local council before telling me about the good politicians in history who they never voted for. Interestingly when I made the comment no political party or politician is perfect my ear basher took that point as a  good reason not to vote at all. Feeling a bit frustrated after this discussion I recorded these words below down.

People Power

When I look at the planet.

There is more of us than them.

The people that cause the mayhem.

I’m not in that place where a dictator holds the ace.

Every now and then I get a chance to choose a King or Queen.

A leader on our scene.

In many places that is just a distant dream.

That man from Liverpool.

Did he sing about a fool.

A Fool On The Hill.

Or was it Power To The People.

Once there was the age of Aquarius.

Now its the age of trying it on.

Maybe I should sing a different song.

Join a mindless throng.

Maybe my vote was wrong.

At least I went along.

Just because I gave them my vote.

Doesn’t mean I live In a mindless space.

A space surrounded by a moat.

Or people on a slippery slope.

I wont march to the beat of their drum.

Or will I sing their every note.

I gave them my vote.

I have never been that good at placing bets at the tote.

I played my cards with no ace up my sleeve.

I just did what I believed.

Isn’t it true at times we all get deceived.

I get sick of people who say they don’t vote because its a waste of time.

They then complain and say its their fault not mine.

They drink their wine and join the decline.

Call everyone else a swine while not giving it some of their time.

Just because people want to see me.

Based on some stereotype.

Doesn’t give me sleepless nights.

I wake up in the morning.

Sometimes to a different light.

Knowing I am only human and I don’t always get it right.

Re: People Power

WOW...truth be told regarding politics and politicians. Well done Pete. At election time I usually get on my soap box and tell anyone that will listen to get down the polling station and vote. They usually come back with..what is the point? One vote won't make any difference and I say if everyone thought that we'd have a dictatorship because there'd be no one to oppose the crackpot ideas they'd come up with...remember Hitler? And I could mention a few more recent and present ones!
I've turned a reply into a rant haven't I?
Great work buddy     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Nice one Peatle.

Giving people to have a voice is crucial. Even by voting and not getting your candidate to win still exercises a fundamental human right.

Like the perspective Peatle !
Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

4 (edited by easybeat 2021-05-12 03:19:27)

i can understand people that dont bother to vote.
I have never felt anyone represented my views,so politicians dont represent me.
i usually vote for a minor  party just to be able to say that i exercised my right to vote.
being a straight white working class bloke i feel even less represented nowadays.   

another thoughtful piece Pete.

The King Of Audio Torture

Cheers , Jim, Phill, Brian,  thank you your input it is much appreciated. In these privileged times for many of us, there are people out there who  forget they don’t have to risk their  life or martyr themselves for some of the freedoms that many people in the free world today take for granted. The derogation of voting rights is widespread in many countries in the world. In my opinion people who live in countries where they can vote should vote purely on the basis that the world is full of countries where they don’t even get a chance to have some say in what’s going on. Also we should do it out of respect for those who  have made  the ultimate sacrifice with their life so that we can have this choice to vote. It is not only a human right but something  that many humans don’t get the opportunity to do on this planet. I admire anyone who is  prepared to stand even if their politics is not mine providing their not maniacs who want to be dictators, or people who don’t want free and fair elections set at appropriate intervals of time. One thing that has been lost in recent times is peaceful demonstrations with people holding placards about whatever their gripe is.  There are now in many counties people who instead of demonstrating are rioting damaging fellow citizens property using it as a front too steal and loot, that also is a breakdown of democracy. I think people should use their voice even if I don’t agree with them but it should always be peaceful. I understand why people get sick of politics it  is because the major parties around the world are using marketing and spin and with that somehow good  and true debate gets lost.  Bureaucrats and politicians do get out of step with what is going on  right outside their front doors. One thing I have noticed in my extensive travels around the free world is the common thing of government run inefficient institutions, civil services and city councils that don’t meet the needs of the people in other words the business  side or suppliers of political run services in all countries. I don’t blame all the civil servants its just that their systems and hierarchy agendas clash with those at the coal face trying to do  a good job. I can tell you having been in countries that are not part of the free world their bureaucracy is far worse. Here endeth my rant.     

Amen to that, very eloquently put. People have died for the right to put an X on a piece of paper. Women in the UK weren't given that right until the 1920s, and the lower classes weren't given a free vote much before that!
In Hong Kong the population is struggling to keep a semblance of freedom of choice. Once enough people give up their right to keep their governments in check the free world ceases to be free and the rich and entitled will do as they like.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

You hit the nail on head there Phill.  Another disturbing trend around the world is the suppression of opposition voices by making them illegal by  all those bad regimes out there. The underhanded laying of false charges against opposition people that are fabricated by those dodgy run countries internal governments corrupt security forces.   Putin is a good example of suppressing opposition voices he is like many other corrupt leaders who are on this planet.     

Ill keep it simple.

PERFECT.     

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

beamer wrote:

Ill keep it simple.

PERFECT.

Cheers Beamer     

easybeat wrote:

i usually vote for a minor crazy party just to be able to say that i exercised my right to vote.
being a straight white working class bloke i feel even less represented nowadays.   

This is so true.   However in America this is how such a donk of a person like trump was elected.

He played to the white ignorant vote, stirred up racism to a terrible new high and surly will be ranked in the top 5 worst presidents in history.

I’m not real thrilled with Biden, but what were the alternative options?

As you say, why vote?  I voted, but not real happy about what was there.  It was a game of the lessor of two evils.     

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

nice poem Peat, having done some travelling my self , countries where religion rules, countries where dictators rule and of course  the good old  USA where i am not sure who is ruling right now. i could make some observations but being sober at the moment i will keep my political opinions to my self .
again good writing     

out of tune out of key and out of touch

Cheers Beamer and Mojo

I don’t think it's for me to give opinion on the American political situation as I know people on here living in your country have strong divisions. What I will say is that a politician’s rise and fall are always based on the way the people perceive and trust them. Now that word TRUST and politician don’t always go together. Behind political leader’s rhetoric is a marketing machine designed to feed negative thoughts on whoever the opposition is, some information true, some exaggerations and also drawing conclusions that are sometimes hype and have no substance.  The Nazis claimed that the social and economic problems that Germany experienced in the 1920s and early 1930s were due in part to the weakening of the population created by an unfair burden of supporting disabled people. Nazi propaganda in the form of posters, news-reels and cinema films portrayed disabled people as "useless eaters" and people who had "lives unworthy of living". The propaganda stressed the high cost of supporting disabled people, and suggested that there was something unhealthy or even unnatural about society paying for this. Today even though there isn’t that argument going on over disabled people, politicians and their advocacy machine do push other ideas that put one part of the population against the other. At the moment you might say no party would advocate that we get rid of disabled people in the free world because of the cost. If we look at big chunks of the world if your not well or healthy you have very little hope. When Covid struck look at all the misinformation that people were fed as it became a big political division in countries about how to deal with it. Fortunately for us here in NZ the two main parties didn’t play politics with it.  What I am saying is your political leaders Republican or Democrat have a big propaganda spin machine behind them which gives people a hard decision to make either way.     

13 (edited by easybeat 2021-05-10 23:23:44)

beamer wrote:
easybeat wrote:

i usually vote for a minor crazy party just to be able to say that i exercised my right to vote.

This is so true.   However in America this is how such a donk of a person like trump was elected.

He played to the white ignorant vote, stirred up racism to a terrible new high and surly will be ranked in the top 5 worst presidents in history.

As you say, why vote?  I voted, but not real happy about what was there.  It was a game of the lessor of two evils.

Wow Beamer name calling people you dont agree with is really unproductive.It assumes there is only one right way and that is yours.
it seems people on the left are best at this but by no means have a monopoly.
(maybe i should have said MINOR party in my statement.)

easybeat wrote:
beamer wrote:
easybeat wrote:

Wow Beamer name calling people you dont agree with is really unproductive.It assumes there is only one right way and that is yours.
it seems people on the left are best at this but by no means have a monopoly.
(maybe i should have said MINOR party in my statement.)

Easybeat very observant on the name calling thing  , generally you find the insults start when they have no logical argument against what some is doing or saying  so they are reduced to name calling.

Beamer , lol being a donk supporter i disagree top 5 in my opinion and personally question the sanity of any one who would vote for biden or hillary ( and that includes my daughter and son inlaw ) but thats just me and the bourbon talking lol change my mind     

out of tune out of key and out of touch

15 (edited by easybeat 2021-05-11 20:16:21)

Mojo
yeah it`s called democracy,the winner takes office.
it`s good that the opposition question and hold to account the govt
but the media also have a part to play,they should report facts not bias opinion.
let alone invent stories.
name calling is a great way of shutting others down.   it`s almost a new art form.