1 (edited by Peatle Jville 2021-05-24 08:10:49)

Topic: Old Lady Cries

This is a poem about an old lady telling her son that money doesn’t always make you happy written from both view points her and her sons. The son has taken a job with big dollars working for a corporation that  has no ethics. Its not a true story its just made up due to it been a wet cold day here.

Old Lady Cries.

The old lady cries.

You want to give your family dollar numbers.

The corporates use empty words.

A numb me can’t  completely avoid her words.

For a dollar reward.

I will join the material hoard.

Salute the chairman of the board.

Chasing bigger numbers.

Counting dollars in my sleep.

Chasing those extra noughts.

Filling my thoughts,

What once was ten now has to be a million.

I live in a new world.

I am just one of many.

Looking for a pretty penny.

One of many money worriers.

No longer a warrior.

She think’s  I’m  easily deceived.

Cutting of my knights  armour.

Throwing away my sword.

For a good dollar reward.

Old lady cries.

You  thrown away your sword.

No longer prepared.

To cut through empty promises.

This is the right time for you to be a doubting Thomas.

Their full of shallow promises.

Their not your saviour.

Their money wont do you no favours.

Why does the old lady  see things different to me.

The corporate Kings.

Always will do their thing.

Succeed with their invading sting.

The corporate Kings.

Say all sorts of false things.

I will take their dollar and buy all sorts of material things.

Old lady cries.

They will throw you away.

Little thanks once they have made their hay.

You say you got to survive.

Keep my family alive.

Your love of material possession will lead you to depression.

Man  made created things are a temporary fling.

Don’t worry old lady.

I’m thrown away my sword for a dollar reward.

I’m thrown away my sword for a dollar reward.

Re: Old Lady Cries

fighting the good fight Pedr? your writings always leave me with a smile, fact laced with humour. brill     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

3 (edited by Peatle Jville 2021-05-25 06:09:45)

Cheers Phill

I'm glad you got my satire in the poem in hindsight after writing it does open up a discussion about big business. . It was a stormy wet day when I wrote this more along the lines of a Cat Stevens, “Father And Son” in this case mother and son giving voice to both viewpoints his and hers. When I turned sixty I went from being very employable to no one wanting me. I applied for over 180 jobs to finally getting offered one working for our dysfunctional city council a job I hated but I took on as it was all I could get.  I worked with some wonderful people there but the political  management was shocking. Doing that job at times I got a lot of flak making me at times look  like I had thrown away my moral sword. I hadn’t thrown away my moral sword but I had to deal with issues created by  the council which were wrong. People would see me as part of the problem because of problems our council had created. Though I wrote this not thinking of that on reflection it does cover that a bit. Reading what I’ve written now it does highlight how a young person with a family could have moral conflicts over earning and doing what is right so if that opens up that discussion that is good. I guess all corporates around the worlds have an ability for good and bad so that discussion can enter moral realms of right and wrong. Here in NZ now there is heated debate over the ownership of our national sport Rugby Union. There are two camps around the commercial side and funding of Rugby. The executive wants to sell  12.5 % stake of Rugby commercial rights to a big company called Silver Lake. Under the Silver Lake deal NZR would set up a company called Commercial Co which would own NZR's commercial rights. Silver Lake would take a 12.5 stake in this for $390 million .The rugby unions Players Association (NZRPA) is opposed to deal, saying the numbers don't add up and that selling off 12.5 percent in perpetuity doesn't make financial sense, leading to a bitter dispute between the two parties. The NZRPA agrees the game needs a substantial cash injection and along with investment company Forysth Barr are proposing a public share float which it estimates could raise $190 million. NZR has rejected a public share float believing it would only appeal to 'mum and dad' investors and doesn't meet other criteria the Silver Lake deal does. The debate is do we see a big corporate such as Silver Lake being a good thing over Kiwi mum and dad investors. So, the question now is Silver Lake going to be a rugby saviour or not? What sort of hands do we want to feed when it comes to our national sport? So in the poem the old lady is anti  dodgy corporates  and the one that  her son has gone to work for. The son sees his job as financial opportunity not to be missed..

Peatle

I can tell you that as a long time teacher - these kids are coming out of school with that exact mentality.

Always " Me First - where is my trophy - I want the money and damn the character !"

Good stuff Peatle .  I can't wait to see what you post on the next inclement weather day !!

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Cheers Jim I have noticed that me me mentality and life its  all about money with many of the young ones. I have wondered in recent times if the kids today are living in the real world or the cyber world? I live close to a high school and I notice kids on their way to and from school more focused on their smart phones instead of what is going on around them.     

I have a 16 year old granddaughter who is hoping to join the army soon. While she waits, she is doing three jobs, I think that's wonderful, when you see other kids stuck in their phones or on X box or somesuch.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Phill Williams wrote:

I have a 16 year old granddaughter who is hoping to join the army soon. While she waits, she is doing three jobs, I think that's wonderful, when you see other kids stuck in their phones or on X box or somesuch.

Phill
thats fantastic a kid doing 3 jobs,a real go getter.
she will do well in life.     

The King Of Audio Torture

Phill Williams wrote:

Good one Phill your  granddaughter with her work ethic will have a good future.