Topic: in a slump

havnt been around much, went back in the studio a few weeks ago and recorded nine originals with the intent to send the CD,s to different places. for some reason after working on that for a month getting ready to record practicing the songs getting them down pat i am in a slump now. sat down to write some , and nothing , tried to come up with something for Bills request , nothing.

how do you guys break out of slumps? 

out of tune out of key and out of touch

Re: in a slump

WAIT!!     

The King Of Audio Torture

3 (edited by TIGLJK 2021-08-08 11:52:17)

Mojo
What works for me is to read accounts of history. There are so many amazing events and people - seems there s always a catch line or something that I find to be inspiring.
Sometimes it's something someone says in the news.

an example - I was reading about abolitionist leader and newspaper owner William Lloyd Garrison and his fight for the freedom of slaves in America.
When people tried to silence him - his response was " I will be heard !"    or Sojourner Truth's " ain't I a woman" line in speaking of women's rights.

Both of those phrases have the ability to inspire a song to me - not necessarily about slavery or freedom - but you could adopt them to any modern situation.
Another thing I find inspring is just walking around and observing nature.

Hope this helps - it works for me but who knows - everyone's candle doesn't burn the same flame.
(LOL - I just made that line  up and thought - that's a pretty good phrase for a chorus in some song  " everyone's candle doesn't burn the same flame"  smile  smile  smile  !
Jim     

PS 

Congrats on the recording of the CD  -  I'd like to hear it.
Where do you send them to to get publicized ?

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

easybeat wrote:

WAIT!!

lol oddly enough that is my go to cure     

Jim that is a catchy line , i study and watch a lot of history shows i will keep and eye for lines from now on.

i am sending a couple to an organization called Woodsong. you can look them up on the net for information that one is free but the odds are million to one to get on the show but they claim to listen to every entry they get.  there some other places that can get expensive. i am waiting on input from the guy who owns the recording studio before i start writing checks. Dana has been involved in several country and gospel hit records , he has a copy and said he would give a listen and let know what he thinks.
you have heard all the songs they are all on sound cloud 

TIGLJK wrote:

Mojo
What works for me is to read accounts of history. There are so many amazing events and people - seems there s always a catch line or something that I find to be inspiring.
Sometimes it's something someone says in the news.

an example - I was reading about abolitionist leader and newspaper owner William Lloyd Garrison and his fight for the freedom of slaves in America.
When people tried to silence him - his response was " I will be heard !"    or Sojourner Truth's " ain't I a woman" line in speaking of women's rights.

Both of those phrases have the ability to inspire a song to me - not necessarily about slavery or freedom - but you could adopt them to any modern situation.
Another thing I find inspring is just walking around and observing nature.

Hope this helps - it works for me but who knows - everyone's candle doesn't burn the same flame.
(LOL - I just made that line  up and thought - that's a pretty good phrase for a chorus in some song  " everyone's candle doesn't burn the same flame"  smile  smile  smile  !
Jim     

PS 

Congrats on the recording of the CD  -  I'd like to hear it.
Where do you send them to to get publicized ?

The more you worry about something the harder it gets! I've had a slump lately, we have a saying over here, you wait for hours for a bus then two come at once...I write down any lines that sound good in my head then when I'm noodling and come across a nice riff or chord sequence I'll look back at my scribblings and maybe something will come. I would advise not to force one out as they're usually (in my case) of a lower standard...I have CDs full of such garbage!
I've heard a lot of your work and know you have a high standard, be cool and something good will come along. (That sounds like a hook line for a song?)     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

7 (edited by TIGLJK 2021-08-09 15:16:05)

Phill
threw this together from our thoughts  ... it's a start    smile
  feel free to make any changes.
(see what you started Mojo!!  )

Jim

Blocked by Jim Kenyon  (with Help )

[C]I’m trying to think of something important to write

But I [G] only hear the fridge and two cats in a fight

oh I'm [Am]starin’ at blank paper as it nears midnight

it seems [F] every note I play just [G]don’t sound [C] right

[C]I keep waiting for my pen and paper to dance

like a[G] song about the beach in southern France

or two [Am]lovers searching for their true romance

but it [F]doesn’t seem that I’ll [G]ever get the [C]chance

Chorus

[C]Yea, I been [F]searching for some words that never came

ya know, [C]everybody's candle burn's a different flame

so when the [F] strings get dusty and sounds seem wrong

just [G]wait, be [F]cool, and something good will come a[C]long

[C]It’s been 3 days now, and my vision's still not clear

seems the [G]only thing that’s flowing is the ice cold beer

and my[Am] chords seem strange,the lyrics sound weird

and now [F] all imagination has [G]somehow disap[C]peared

Chorus

[C]Yea, I been [F]searching for some words that never came

ya know, [C]everybody's candle burn's a different flame

so when the [F] strings get dusty and sounds seem wrong

just [G]wait, be [F]cool, and something good will come a[C]long

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

I like the Blocked lyrics.  A little comedy to lighten up the mood.     

I keep a  pad  and  pen   by  the  bed  and  sometimes  an idea  pops into  my  head  I  write  these  ideas  down and  come back  to them later   ,quite  often   something  materialises. Another    method    a  writer  friend  told  me  about  was to put  random words  in a  had  and  pull  a  few  out  and  see  what   comes  up .This  method    works  well  and  generates   some interesting  things .     

One time i started writing, I had the complete song all original, then I had to go back to work in my real job! But good gracious I love friday 5:30 a cold budlight, my guitar and chordie!!! * oh P.S. not famous yet just fyi* neither is my coworker who said he was gonna make it cuz he had "IT".  I said of course you have "IT" you work in I.T. 010010101010 Love binary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Peace and Guitar!     

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!