Topic: dusty hill

well lost another one , RIP Dusty

as a side note , three years ago on my way to work flying out of Houston and laying over in Paris sat three seats back of Dusty and Frank going over for their European tour . closest i ever got to any one that famous 

out of tune out of key and out of touch

Re: dusty hill

Mojo

That's too bad !!
Just yesterday I almost bought tickets to a ZZTOP show that's coming near my town next month.
Now I wonder if they will still play.

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Seems all the older rockers are dropping like fly's and so many great songs RIP Dusty     

"Growing old is not for sissies"

4 (edited by beamer 2021-07-29 15:17:08)

We cant stop time can we.  It is sad.  in a band of three, and the iconic pair of Beards, replacing him will be a tough sell.  However I shall also be the pragmatic one of the thread.

They will replace him with a hired gun. There are many  "A" list players who also can sing who would fill in and do it as an honor.  Why? Contractual obligation.  Billy could carry the show on his own if wanted to just hire a backing band.  He may have to go as Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top, but would anyone really not go see him? Then there is also the fact that maybe Bill is sitting good due to  his TV gigs and other stuff, Frank Probably could use the $$ as he is not getting any younger either.

Like it or not the reality is,  The show Will Go on and it is a dollar driven endeavor.  Lets face it, no one is looking to ZZ Top for fresh new music. (the last disk was "Meh" anyhow)

We all want to hear the classic songs we partied with (so this is first 4 disks and Eliminator).  We may politely sit through something new, but when BEER DRINKERS AND HELL RAISERS, TUSH, FRANCINE, AND GIMMI ALL YOUR LOVING get broken out, THAT'S when when we let out the big yell and hands go in the air!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

TIGLJK wrote:

Mojo
they are carrying on with out him
That's too bad !!
Just yesterday I almost bought tickets to a ZZTOP show that's coming near my town next month.

Jim

TIGLJK wrote:

Mojo

they touring with out him buy the tickets

That's too bad !!

Jim

In a 3 piece band the bass and drums are most important, the lead guitar can go off on one but the bass has to keep the whole thing going. I hope they can replace Dusty, but I wouldn't be surprised if they give up!

RIP Dusty     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I saw ZZ Top after Dusty's passing. They had a new bass player who had his own ZZ style beard.  I forget his name. It was a profoundly country name. Roscoe or something like that. They did tip their hat to Dusty by doing a kind of reverse karaoke wherein the band played live, but they used an isolated vocals track of Dusty singing Tush. They weren't trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes. They were open about doing this and said why they were doing it. Apparently Tush was Dusty's favorite song to sing.     

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

So glad to hear that. The Stones managed to carry on as did the Eagles and many more. Good luck to them.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Maybe Rufus.     

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude