Topic: Ever Turned Your Acoustic Into A Banjo?

First time I ever saw it was when Herman's Hermits appeared on Shindig (or one of those shows). His lead guitarist had slipped a handkerchief under his strings and "Instant Banjo".

I think the song was "Mrs. Brown (You've Got A Lovely Daughter")

Bill 

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Ever Turned Your Acoustic Into A Banjo?

I've never done it but the guitarist I played in a duo used to do it for " the show must go on" by Leo Sayer. The gag I did was he transformed a £20 guitar into a £100 banjo!...Still not funny?     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Sorry, I don't understand. Did you mean it wasn't funny then or that it isn't funny after all these years, Phill? If not funny, then for sure, clever.     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

It's a snobby thing...I had a Fender Strat but played a Wilson bass in the band, and Chris had bought a cheap Strat copy, it sounded good though! So it was funny to us but I can't remember our audiences laughing...     

I love to play this nice easy going tune. I've seen the rag stuffed under the strings but myself I prefer to palm mute to let the strings ring a little.     

Thick as two short planks

Wait.  Where do you put the rag?
By the sound hole?     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Banjos mystify me.  the Ex just "Had to have one"  I think in the 7 years she has had it, it's gotten played with twice.  ("Oh I have to really work at this! I don't have time for that")

I was pushing for a Guitjo, but lost that one as "Its just another toy for you" -  Hummmm well I can tell you the case has a ton of dust on it somewhere by this point.

I know not totally related, but it is my banjo story.  big_smile     

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

TIGLJK wrote:

Wait.  Where do you put the rag?
By the sound hole?

Jim, you put a hanky or piece of cloth near the bridge of an electric guitar, weave it between the strings so that it deadens the ring of the strings. I don't know if it would work on an acoustic guitar.     

Phill
Would that work on a telecaster ?

Might be an amusing sound.

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

10 (edited by Phill Williams 2021-08-30 21:16:12)

Do you mean a Telecaster guitar or the people that say the news on TV? (telecasters...lol)     

BTW I've never tried it as I don't sing "The Show Must Go On" any more, and yes I could reach the high notes...(smug look)