1 (edited by Peatle Jville 2022-02-24 08:09:34)

Topic: Gary Brooker

I was sorry to hear Gary Brooker, frontman for Procul Harum  has passed away this week.. I’m sure many of you will agree that ‘Whiter Shade of Pale’ is one of the greatest songs of our time. Part of the soundtrack of my life it is a song that I have never had a clue what its all about, but in a strange way that is part of its magic for me. I went to one of their  concerts many years back and it was real good. I can't remember buying any of their albums not sure why I didn't.

Re: Gary Brooker

More sad news from the music world. It seems all the pop stars that became legends are slipping off this mortal coil. Whiter shade of pale, I think, was just a set of ideas set to that brilliant organ riff, I don't think they were meant to make sense or tell a tale just entertain us as they obviously did and still do. Homburg was another great song they did. RIP Gary Brooker     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

always sad news to hear.

I don't think Brooker was the original drummer with the band, but the one that lasted the longest and became famous.     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Hi Jim. I think you've mixed up the Gary Brookers my friend? The guy we are talking about was the pianist and vocalist in Procol Harum during the sixties, and several bands after they broke up.     

oooops

Sorry guys.

anyways, I have always  liked Procul Harum songs

Where does the name of the group originate and what does it mean ?     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

6 (edited by Peatle Jville 2022-02-25 20:35:58)

Cheers Jim and Phill

"B. J." Wilson  was the original drummer with Procol Harum. A brilliant drummer one of the best and was also in big demand as a session drummer. He played on recordings with Lulu and Cat Stevens to name two of the many he played for. Gary Brooker was a vocalist and piano player When I saw Procol Harum on stage they had two keyboard players. Matthew Fisher and Gary  Brooker.  Mathew played the Hammond organ on the 1967 single "A Whiter Shade of Pale", for which he ended up winning a songwriting credit.

I found this below on Wikipedia in answer to Jim’s question where did their name come from.

Band name
Stevens became their manager, and named the band after a Burmese cat, which had been bred by Eleonore Vogt-Chapman and belonged to Liz Coombes The cat's pedigree name was Procul Harum, Procul being the breeder's prefix.

In the absence of a definitive origin, the band's name has attracted various interpretations being said to be (incorrect) Latin for "beyond these things"; the correct Latin would be procul hīs.

Keith Reid describes how the name came about:

It's the name of a cat, a Siamese cat. It's the pedigree name, and it belonged to a friend of ours, just somebody that we used to hang out with when we were forming the band. One day, somebody pulled out the cat's birth certificate and said 'Have a look at this', and the name of the cat was Procol Harum. And somebody else, in fact a chap called Guy Stevens who was quite instrumental in Gary [Brooker, the singer and pianist] and myself getting together in the first place, said, 'Oh, you must call the group Procol Harum'. And we just accepted that. We never even questioned it, never even thought if it was a good name, we just went ahead with that suggestion.

Once we put the record out, people started to say, 'Oh, it's Latin, and it means 'beyond these things'. But in fact, we had spelled it incorrectly. It should have been P-R-U-C-U-L, I think, or P-R-U-C-O-L H-A-R-U-M. I believe that's right anyway. If we'd spelled it correctly; it would have meant beyond these things. But it seemed quite apt. That was it really. It was the suggestion of a friend and we just stuck with it.

The name of the band is frequently misspelled; often with "Procul", "Harem", both, or other variations.

I once thought it was the name of an Arabian price by the name "Procul" and harem was where he kept his female friends? (I just made that up)

During the 60's odd names attracted attention eg: Englebert Humperdink as opposed to his real name Tommy Dorsey. I read about him and I just couldn't wait to hear his psychedelic repertoire, as a rocker at the time I was sorely disappointed when I heard his actual songs, I cant even bring myself to write the titles here. I used to have a band and we were struggling for a name when a music teacher suggested Enchiriadis, it never got us anywhere, maybe cos we was rubbish?