Topic: Best Advice

What was the best advice anyone gave you when starting out learning to play the guitar. 

Re: Best Advice

Your fingers aren't too fat, long, skinny, weak, clumsy, weird, or anything else. Keep your nails on your fretting hand short. Screw the best way to do it. Do it the way that you enjoy it, so that you'll do it. Don't let the best be the enemy of the good.     

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

That was great advice for sure.     

have fun,learn songs you dont like along with the ones you do.
dont be a slave to trying to sound like the original,follow your own path.     

The King Of Audio Torture

Try writing songs, both lyrics, and chords. It's a great way to learn and express yourself. it also forces you to learn new chords to match the sound you're looking for.     

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

get a book. with video tutorials they tend to go too fast over the bits you want to know or miss them completely. at least with a book you can go back as many times as you like and as is said above "do it your way not the proper way". i've been playing guitar for 55 years and i'm still learning don't expect to be Clapton or Segovia in days, it will take years and then maybe never! who cares, be yourself and most of all...enjoy playing.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

easybeat wrote:

Someone said something similar to me in the early days of learning. His words were; "Don't try to sound like the original artist. Make it your own."

I've lived by that little piece of advice ever since. Thanks Mike.     

unclejoesband wrote:
easybeat wrote:

Someone said something similar to me in the early days of learning. His words were; "Don't try to sound like the original artist. Make it your own."

I've lived by that little piece of advice ever since. Thanks Mike.

UJB
yeah i know this sounds so obvious,the original artist is who they are, and you ,who you are.
there are hundreds of different versions of most songs other than the ``hit`` one.     

The King Of Audio Torture

Trying to sound like the original that's the mistake I was making for along time.     

10 (edited by TIGLJK 2022-07-23 15:28:58)

Colvon

Let your playing make you happy, whatever you play.
They're people here on chordie that are always willing to help.
I see you are from Wales - a couple  others on here I believe are from around there as well.
enjoy your music

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Thank you Jim .