Topic: MENTALITY: Europe versus USA

I am spending a lot of time here on CHORDIE, and I noticed that there are a lot of questions about "playing music in church". I don't know if this phenomenon is here in Europe too.
We have, speaking of "CHRISTIAN" religion, 4 main churches.
- Catholic
- Protestant
- Anglican Church (since Henry VIII, because he was not allowed to divorce and marry again)
- Orthodox (Greek, Russia..)
The most religous countries in Europe are Ireland, Spain, and maybe less Italy)
So that's the reason of my question, knowing that there are a lot of followers of a certain religion.
Baptists, New Born Christians.
Can someone explain me more about religion in the USA, I know, (from seeing on Television), that Afro-Americans have a high culture in religion, with interaction between the priest and the people, with a lot of singing, gospel.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: MENTALITY: Europe versus USA

Well, here in the states we have a clear division between our government and our churches.  Our constitution is clear that our government may make no laws establishing any religion, or prohibiting the free exercise of religion.  Jefferson called this "a wall of separation between church and state."   What this has led to is a huge number of churches and faiths of all sorts springing up all over the country.   So as a nation, we have no church.  As a people, we do.  Primarily protestant varieties.  Baptists, Presbyterians,  Episcopalian, etc, along with a vast number of non-denominational churches.  I can go to Seattle and walk from a Mosque to a Jewish Temple to a Catholic Church.

There is a great African American gospel tradition in this country, mostly in the south.    This stems a lot from the blues and folk history that sprung during reconstruction after our civil war, and emancipation.   It's truly great stuff.  If I were God, that's where I'd go for my music.  big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Accepting that as it is, they do say that the UK is the 51st State. There is obviously a difference in the UK but it is a small difference.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

The UK has a state sponsored church, and they have no specific protection of religious freedom, although it is there in practical terms.

The state church is a huge difference.  We could not, (nor should not) have that here.

I find myself agreeing with you on most of that but I really don't think you could call it state sponsored. This suggests a government funded church. That's just simply not the case.
We live in such a multi-cultural world now that to suggest that we have no religious freedom is absurd. Take a wonder through any Scottish city and you will come across just as many different kinds of place of worship as you see in Seattle.
I do agree that the two should be kept seperate.

Well Doc, funny you should mention that.  The change in culture between church and expectations of the people and the interaction with the state was in our sermon this past week.

Jumping back a generation to my childhood, practically everyone went to some sort of weekly religious service.  Where I grew up in Appalachia, there weren't many non-denominational churches because most of the churches there were getting subsidized from the organization that had surpluses in the wealthier areas.  There just wasn't enough money in donations to keep a non-denominational church afloat in that area.  Not because people didn't give, but because even if they gave generously from their income, the average income was too slight. 

Now, Roman Catholic, Judaism, and various mainstream Protestant (United Methodist, Presbyterian, Lutheran, etc.) religions were what we had.  Regardless of where one went, most fathers took their whole families every week.  Often there were mid-week services as well.  The Roman Catholics had Friday, Saturday, and Sunday services. 

Store were closed on Sunday as a matter of law, but also culture.  Every once in a while, someone would challange the blue laws and open on Sunday daring the authorities to come and fine them.  It wasn't necessary.  No one shopped.  It took care of itself.  The church family was a part of one's extended family.  I was in part raised by the ladies of the church.  The older boys had their clothes passed down to me, and my clothes were passed down to younger boys.  There was a whole network of moms who babysat for one another.  If I disobeyed Mrs. Coole for example, I was punished by Mrs. Coole without her worried about whether my Mom would approve, and then I was punished again by Mom.  Church family, church services, and time / monetary commitments to church were ingrained parts of the culture.  For a time, my father (not a professional pastor) preached at three churches a week because the congregations were so broke that they couldn't pay their pastors, who moved on to find jobs to feed their families.  Dad did this voluntarily.  He knew how to preach, he was known in the community as a God-fearing man, and they were glad to have him come and help.  I honestly cannot think of one family in my neighborhood that did not go to church regularly, and that everyone in the neighborhood knew where the others went. 

Today, things are different.  There is no concept of a communal "Sabbath."  My wife and I attend a non-denominational church, of which there are many in this area.  Granted, we live in what has been labled as the nation's wealthiest county.  While I'm not sure how that was calculated, where we live now is a far cry from the county I grew up in where the median income was well below the poverty level.  So there's room in people's budgets for supporting non-denominational churches.  But by and large, folks don't go to church.  Any service, regardless of religion or denomination.  My next door neighbors go to the Roman Catholic church, and on the other side they go to the Presbyterian church.  Of the other nine houses on our street, none of the people attend any kind of service.  Church attendance in the U.S., based on my EXTREMELY limited viewpoint is down overall.  Spiritual considerations are generally not given merit.  I recently turned down a large promotion at work.  It was because I felt that the job (I had been doing the job for about ten weeks "acting" in the position) interfered with my spiritual well-being.  Folks thought I was crazy.  It meant more money, so why didn't I take it?  My father's volunteerism, doing what he thought was the right thing to do, not gone entirely but surely no longer common.  But the idea of doing it to thank God for the blessing that he still had a job and to minister to all the folks that didn't (unemployment exceeded 25% in that place and time).  Well, I don't think that would be generally understood today. 

Now the thing that perplexes me is whether this is a bad thing.  Do I think that all those folks attending church in my youth were faithful?  No way.  Too many of my friends getting beaten or having to clean up drunken parents or bailing them out of jail.  Their behavior didn't match their professions of faith as demonstrated by going to church.  Today, those folks wouldn't bother going to church.  Somehow, I can't help but think that that's not necessarily a bad thing.  But what it does do is give cause for those who are faithful and the beneficiary of some sort of faith instruction to be evangelical and compassionate in nature to those who may not have the experience.  The church I attend now is mostly comprised of "new" Christians.  People who have come to the Christian faith as adults.  There are tattoos, shaved heads, and Harleys in the lot (even in the pulpit on occaission), former addicts, prostitutes, and felons.  This is a church that has taken advantage of the fact that not everyone is in church, and has brought church to the ones who need it and are open to its teachings.  The music is Pop or Alternative Rock in style.  It's very non-traditional.  And the teaching consists not of esoteric explorations of oblique Scripture, but down-to-Earth basic instruction in how to apply Scriptural principles to day-to-day living.  I think this is better somehow than using peer pressure to fill churches.  The folks sitting in our services want to be there.  They found a need fulfilled.  They're still learning what it means to be a Christian.  I don't know, but I somehow expect that there are a number of other churches in our area where the same story would apply. 

Anyway.  I think I got off topic, but that's the progression of religion in the U.S. from the eyes of an Appalachian hillbilly kid wondering whether he was going to eat that day grown to be a middle aged desk jockey with a paunch living in wealth compared when compared to his youth. 

Oh, as a kid it was the Methodist Hymnal and nothing else in church.  Now it's pop or alternative rock with Christian lyrics. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

7 (edited by last_rebel 2007-09-11 20:17:06)

jerome.oneil wrote:

Well, here in the states we have a clear division between our government and our churches.  Our constitution is clear that our government may make no laws establishing any religion, or prohibiting the free exercise of religion.  Jefferson called this "a wall of separation between church and state."   What this has led to is a huge number of churches and faiths of all sorts springing up all over the country.   So as a nation, we have no church.  As a people, we do.  Primarily protestant varieties.  Baptists, Presbyterians,  Episcopalian, etc, along with a vast number of non-denominational churches.  I can go to Seattle and walk from a Mosque to a Jewish Temple to a Catholic Church.

There is a great African American gospel tradition in this country, mostly in the south.    This stems a lot from the blues and folk history that sprung during reconstruction after our civil war, and emancipation.   It's truly great stuff.  If I were God, that's where I'd go for my music.  big_smile

just thought I would clarify on something. A protestant is a group which came OUT of the catholic church and seperated itself from them. Baptists came from the Ana-baptist movement which was completely seperate and never associated with the catholic faith.... as were the methodists if im not mistaken.
There are quite a few non catholic churches in America, but not all are prtoestant.
Im kind of a church history buff lol smile

American denominational churches come in all shapes sizes and extremeties lol, but there are a few main belief systems....

Baptists, (which come in so many sub categories its impossible to name them all) can be anything from wild snake handling holy rollers to almost letergical traditionalists but all believe basically in salvation is by faith, and in baptism by submersion (but not neccesary FOR salvation)...

Nazarenes, holiness, assembly of Gods, pentecostals etc.  believe in baptism by submersion that isnt neccesary for salvation, but also believe that salvation must be maintained either by manifestation of spiritual gifts or standards of holiness...

Church of Christ believe that baptism in itself saves you, but services lean more towards a typical sermon and hymn singing like baptist pentecostals, etc.

Letergical churches, which is basically presbytyrians, (these days methodists but not originally) and similar congregations, are just what the name says: letergical. I think you probly are familiar with the whole clergy and recitations and all that. Most of those baptise by sprinkling, if im not mistaken most of them at birth....

Then of course there are mormons and jehovah's witness which are a whole 'nother ball game that I could get off on but i wont....

Non denominational churches could be just about anyhting, but a good number of them are carismatic which is kind of like baptists only wilder and they speak in tounges and prophesy and all that.....

anyway i could talk more but i wont..... you learn alot when ur a preachers kid lol

All You Need is Love smile

I read some posts then some posts looked like chapters then turned into books themselves so I never read them all,
But just to get a wee mention here about church and government. If it was not for King William years ago we might still be run by the catholic church, which made too many laws before they were overthrown.
Too much involvement with royality and what their beliefs were. I am glad in a way we have a governemnt for that reason, But i would rather have a monarchy dictaing to us, Then, I do not believe we should have a monarchy when there is a governemnt. geez ohh, I have too many mixed up opinions.

The Church of Scotland and the church of england still have a say even though a very small say in some political matters, they are just not voiced out from the church to make it law. It is probably all corrupt backhanders back and forth.

I do believe that religion was needed many years ago as a method of control, and also it is good to teach good from bad and it comforts people that need it, but ahts about as far as I will accept religion anywhere. It is merely a label that people like to say they are even though if they follow their own books, no matter what the religion you will find there is a teeny weeny minority of people actually follow their religion to the book.

And I dont think it should be brought into music either, they sing every Sunday ( thats if they ever go to church to start with) they could keep it within those four walls, even if just to please me.lol

ok, I am going back to my silence on religion for a while again.
sorry to butt in.

mon' the lizards

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Fascinating bio, Zurf - your church sounds like the kind of place where good things can happen - a thriving and diverse community.  Ideally, all churches should be focused on helping real people with real problems (rather than being a self-serving exclusive club).

I have lived in the Midwest and South.  Now live in a small town in rural Mississippi where there are dozens of churches - mostly 'mainline' brands, but also lots of 'local-only' type congregations that have coalesced around the charisma of a particular (and often self-ordained) preacher.  These small groups often meet in rented spaces or other temporary locations.

Inthis small town, there are dozens of different flavors of Baptist churches (Southern, Missionary, 'Hardshell', Primitive, 'Full Gospel', etc.).  There is a Roman Catholic parish (with an Irish priest, of course since American priests are seemingly extinct).  There are several Methodist and Presbyterian congregations.  There are Lutherans, Mormons, Pentecostals, 7th Day Adventists, Unitarian Universalists, Wiccans, Pagans, Quakers, Mennonites, Anglicans, Church of God, Church of God In Christ, Church of God in Christ Holiness, and Holy Rollers of all sorts.  Various tent revivals come through town with regularity.  There is also a mosque in our town (mostly for international students at the university).  The closest Synagogue is 25 miles away in another town.  My family and I are Episcopalian and are members of the local parish.

So, basically there are lots of alternatives for worship and fellowship in this little community.  Not everybody is affiliated with a group, but that is because we enjoy freedom of (and from) religion.  In a town like this, most everybody has a "church home" that is an important part of their life.

As to music; Some churches have clapping/stomping/hollering/sweating gospel choirs.  Some have electric bands.  Some have pre-recorded soundtracks (yuck!).  Some have traditional organists and choirs that are really horribly boring.  Some have traditional organists and choirs that are outstanding.  Of course, the Quakers sit together in silence.

My family and I enjoy being a part of our chosen church because we have many wonderful friends there and because together we can all do good things that we could otherwise not accomplish alone.  Where else could you get to know people of all ages and from all walks of life?  Where else could I sing in a really great choir (and go out for beers after rehearsal)?

So, to get back to gitaardocphil's original question - here in the USA there are many many different traditions and styles of worship and worship music.  Some the best American musicians got their first real exposure to and taste of music from a church.  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

last_rebel wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:

just thought I would clarify on something. A protestant is a group which came OUT of the catholic church and seperated itself from them. Baptists came from the Ana-baptist movement which was completely seperate and never associated with the catholic faith.... as were the methodists if im not mistaken.
There are quite a few non catholic churches in America, but not all are prtoestant.
Im kind of a church history buff lol smile

I did not know that, and it is very interesting.  I had always just assumed there were Catholics, and Protestants of various flavors.  Must be the Irish Catholic in my blood.  big_smile

yeah most baptists dont even know that...
The term Ana-baptists was actually given to them by catholics, anglicans, etc. because they didn't do infant baptisms (anti-baptists). The baptists responded by saying no we DO believe in baptism just not at birth, so they took the anti off and kept the name.
The movement started in germany im pretty sure, i know a lot of baptists immigrants ended up coming to America from that area.

Last_rebel,

You left out Pentacostal holy rollers.

Rev. Bootlegger.
(not a fake title I' am actually ordained)

13 (edited by last_rebel 2007-09-12 01:59:34)

bootleger wrote:

Last_rebel,

Rev. Bootlegger.

Oh wow I guess I did.... dont know how that happened half my familys backslid pentecosts lol
They actually kind of fit in with the assembly of god, and holiness, the main difference being that the majority of pentecostals are not trinitarians (trinitarians means you believe that all three persons, Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, are God Himself).
As far as I know they dont believe in loss of salvation (or at least in losing it as easily as the assembly of gods and nazarenes holiness etc.) They do believe the manifestation of the spiritual gift of tongues is a neccesary proof of salvation, as is adhering to a strict standard of holiness. (women cant wear make up, cut thier hair, wear pants, men or women cant watch tv, listen to music, and so on and so forth). These days they're not AS strict as they used to be.....
An interesting fact about pentecostals: they hold the secret to the world's greatest peanut brittle.....

Anyway how was that lol? Oh and if you dont mind me asking, what kind of minister are you?

last_rebel wrote:
bootleger wrote:

Last_rebel,

Rev. Bootlegger.

Oh wow I guess I did.... dont know how that happened half my familys backslid pentecosts lol
They actually kind of fit in with the assembly of god, and holiness, the main difference being that the majority of pentecostals are not trinitarians (trinitarians means you believe that all three persons, Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, are God Himself).
As far as I know they dont believe in loss of salvation (or at least in losing it as easily as the assembly of gods and nazarenes holiness etc.) They do believe the manifestation of the spiritual gift of tongues is a neccesary proof of salvation, as is adhering to a strict standard of holiness. (women cant wear make up, cut thier hair, wear pants, men or women cant watch tv, listen to music, and so on and so forth). These days they're not AS strict as they used to be.....
An interesting fact about pentecostals: they hold the secret to the world's greatest peanut brittle.....

Anyway how was that lol? Oh and if you dont mind me asking, what kind of minister are you?

Right now one who is in a spiritual desert, I call it my Moses experience. When the needed is done in my life the Almighty will call me out as He did Moses to do what I have been call for. As for denomination I would tend to fall under Pentacostal. I had a street witinessing ministry (not to mention I was also a worship leader and played in a worship band)  and would go out on the streets and witness to people telling them my hope I have in Jesus Christ. There was some church politics involved that caused me to leave an A.O.G church I was in. So I am in a spiritual desert, but I know where my feet are planted on the rock of my salvation Jesus Christ. I am a very blessed and fortunate man not in treasures that I can spend on this earth but blessed beyond belief. When GOD speaks I listen and will share a word of knowledge to the person HE intended it for where ever HE chooses. 

As far as trinitarian  GOD is actually a trioun GOD. Let me explain it to you this way, you have one egg, the egg consist of three parts. Those parts are the yoke, the egg white (not white until you cook it) and the shell, three parts one egg. Father, Son & the Holy Spirit, three parts one Trioun GOD. Also what you mentioned the speaking of tongues it is not necessary proof of salvation but refers to Acts 2:2 where the persons in the upper room were blessed with cloven tongues of fire which was the Holy spirit. So not proof of salvation but proof of the Holy spirit. Your salvation comes by inviting Jesus into your heart to become you saviour. Confess with your mouth that your a sinner, believe in your heart that he died and rose again on the third day and ascended to the right hand of the Father and you shall have everlasting life (paraphrased).

In short (ha, ha) there is your answer.

Bootlegger.

Returning to the UK - the monarch is also the head of the the protestant church of england, hence the church is established - but since the monarchs power is now only vestigial - limited by parliament - the churches governmental role is confined to the bishops who sat in the house of lords. The link is still there, but its sort of not got any real power.

All this stems from Henry VIIIth who for was excommunicated for divorcing a catholic lady - and effectively became a protestant for political reasons and threw out the catholic bishops - who in those days did have quite a say in government. and had piles of cash. Since that day England was effectively at war (hot and cold) with catholic Europe. Meanwhile north Europe grew a protestant movement of their own, and also ended up fighting with everyone else.

Back in the UK, the Scots were dragged into all this because the monarchs were related, and some parts of the family were catholics and some protestant and - oh well you guessed - everyone was fighting. Once some form of status quo was reached  in the UK (for protestants) paranoia set in and the protestant rulers started persecuting catholics.When it looked like the UK king was wobbling and getting a bit too catholic, his son in law King William (head guy in Holland and the kings son in law) invaded and took over the throne. He then did a bit of ethnic cleansing in Ireland .

On the fifth of November, to this day we burn a catholic in effigy on a bonfire and celebrate Guy Fawkes night - when a catholic plot to blow up parliament and kill lots of protestant bigwigs was foiled in 16??. Of course nowadays its just a night out - but the origins are quite sinister, and of course all this history still resonates today in Ireland - where King William is seen as a hero in the North, and a genocidal maniac in the South.

I' ve no idea where god (or guitars) is in this story!

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

First THANK YOU for all your answers.
I believe that here in my little country, the church & government are linked.
This is asking for trouble: some time ago, they decided to remove crosses in the classroom.
On the other hand, in the USA, because they are not linked, they have to provide themselves with $$, which can be a lot. Of course there are a lot of mysterious churches, asking a contribution only for the pocket of the "reverend"(exceptions of course). In England you can find, indeed, a lot of different churches.
In fact isn't it WEIRD, believing in Jesus, God and seeing all those churches.I thought that the "pelgrimfathers" came to the US, still an "empty country, because they had to leave OR die, just because the "SPANISH" ruled in almost entire Europe? It was also in that "time zone" you could get the deathpenalty just by catching a rabbit . It must have been a cruel time.
One of the major reasons of problems in the CATHOLIC" churches, is the obligation to stay single as priest, and I think this is also the last "only men" bastion.
I remember me very good that in 1985-1989, we went often visiting the priest who married us, he was responsible for young and "fresh" priests, that on a day they asked him, if homosexuality was allowed!!! He said NO, and from the 10 "going to be priests", only 4 remained.
WHY ARE WOMEN EXCLUDED TO BECOME A PRIEST, WHY THIS CELIBATE IS NEEDED.
The origin of CELIBATE started somewhere in the 9th century. Most of the priest came out powerful, noble families. If he should marry, and die years later, all the money went to the wife and children, but now: THAT MONEY WAS FOR THE CHURCH.
It is so difficult.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

With thanks to the various internet lists

SH*T HAPPENS in various world religions

TAOISM:  SH*T happens.

CONFUCIANISM:  Confucius say, "SH*T happens".

ZEN:  (What is the sound of SH*T happening?)

JESUITISM:  If SH*T happens and when nobody is watching, is it really SH*T?

ISLAM:  SH*T happens if it is the will of Allah.

COMMUNISM. Equal SH*T happens to all people.

CATHOLICISM:  SH*T happens because you are bad.

PSYCHOANALYSIS:  SH*T happens because of your toilet training.

SCIENTOLOGY:  SH*T happens if you're on our SH*T list.

ZOROASTRIANISM: Bad SH*T happens, and good SH*T happens.

UNITARIANISM: Maybe SH*T happens.  Let's have coffee and donuts.

RIGHT-WING PROTESTANTISM:  Let this SH*T happen to someone else.

JUDAISM:  Why does SH*T always happen to US?

REFORM JUDAISM:  Got any Kaopectate?

MYSTICISM:  What weird SH*T!

AGNOSTICISM:  What is this SH*T?

ATHEISM:  I don't believe this SH*T!

NIHILISM:  Who needs this SH*T?

AZTEC:  Cut out this SH*T!

QUAKER:  Let's not fight over this SH*T.

FORTEANISM:  No SH*T??

12-STEP: I am powerless to cut the SH*T.

VOODOO:  Hey, that SH*T looks just like you!

NEWAGE:  Visualize SH*T not happening.

DEISM:  SH*T just happens.

EXISTENTIALISM:  SH*T doesn't happen; SH*T is.

SECULAR HUMANISM:  SH*T evolves.

CHRISTIAN SCIENCE:  SH*T is in your mind.

BUDDHISM:  SH*T happens, but pay no mind.

SHINTOISM: SH*T is everywhere.

HINDUISM:  This SH*T has happened before.

WICCA:  Mix this SH*T together and make it happen!

HASIDISM:  SH*T never happens the same way twice.

THEOSOPHY:  You don't know half of the SH*T that happens.

DIANETICS:  Your mother gave you SH*T before your were born.

SEVENTH DAY ADVENTIST:  No SH*T on Saturdays.

JEHOVAH's WITNESSES:  No SH*T happens until Armageddon.

MOONIES:  Only happy SH*T really happens.

HOPI:  Corn fertilizer happens.

BAHA'I: It's all the same SH*T.

STOICISM:  This SH*T is good for me.

OBJECTIVISM:  Our SH*T is good for you.

EST:  If my SH*T bothers you, that's your fault.

REAGANISM:  Don't move; the SH*T will trickle down.

FASCISM:  SH*T makes the trains run on time.

CARGO CULT:  A barge will come and take all the SH*T away.

EMACS:  Hold down Control-Meta-SH*T.

DISCORDIANISM:  Some funny SH*T happened to me today.

RASTAFARIANISM:  Let's smoke this SH*T.

CHARISMATIC: This is not SH*T and it doesn't smell bad.

MASONIC: SH*T happens, but we can't discuss it during Lodge.

RED CROSS: SH*T happens - send money.

Gutar Player, Singer, Entertainer  - At least in my own mind.

Holy  SH*T  thats a great list. There is no way around it.

SH*T HAPPENS, but it all comes out in the wash.

Have a great day...Badeye.

one caper after another

bootleger wrote:

Last_rebel,

Rev. Bootlegger.

WOOHOO!!! GO COGIC!!!

big_smile
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

last_rebel wrote:

Que?

I may need to renew my interest this particular Christian faith!

Hi Bootlegger - hope your wanderings in a the spiritual desert are cleansing.  Regarding 'church politics' - any group of human beings (whether they are a church, club, team, co-workers, band, or family) will develop interpersonal dynamics and rules that can become 'political'.  Keeping the dynamic focused on productive activities is the challenge for any person trying to fulfill a leadership role.

I have great respect for anyone who feels the call to ministry.  Leading a worshiping community is one form of ministry - it is probably the most difficult, but not the only form.  Personally, I don't have the social finesse needed to lead a religious group - but I do my part in our local parish by actively helping with various projects and ongoing efforts.  Being a part of those efforts is important to me and I am glad there are other people willing to assume leadership responsibilities.

So, I hope your desert journey finds a destination - perhaps you'll look around one day and see that your desert is not as barren and empty as it once seemed.  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

22 (edited by last_rebel 2007-09-12 19:40:25)

jerome.oneil wrote:
last_rebel wrote:

Que?

I may need to renew my interest this particular Christian faith!

yep thats the truth.... well here in texas anyhow. Theres a pentecostal belt between south jasper and kirbyville.... its interesting to me how different denominations have different food specialties. Pentecostals and baptists in particular being famous in these parts for thier feeds lol
  A baptist dinner on the grounds usually consists of a real nice ham and several unidentifiable casseroles, one pot of those tiny weenies, and a desert table crammed full of every imaginable pie cookie cake, cobbler etc.
Penetecosts tend to make a real good chicken and sausage gumbo.... and the peanut brittle of course. apparently to MAKE peanut brittle you have to have a certain cookin sheet and a large enough stove, and pentecostal church kitchens have them.

Bootlegger, let me first say that i totally agree with you're statements about the trinity (even though i prefer to call Him the Godhead; the word 'trinity' isn't in the Bible). "Behold Israel, the LORD thy God is one God.", but then he has three distinct forms. I also don't believe you need to speak tounges to get into heaven, but I do believe people still can (one of my major dissagreements with the baptist doctrine).
I was just stating what the majority of pentecosts (at least the ones I know) believe.
I am aware there are two kinds of pentecosts, Oneness and then the trinitarians.
Also the fact that you are 'ordaines' would mean to me that you're a genuine called minister, so dont give up on church. My father is a preacher and he always said that God respects faithfulness. Don't neglect your studies and/or sermon writing, and if possible find a place where you can comfortably attend church. The Lord will restore you if you are faithful to him. My father didn't preach for 10 years (he did lead music) after his divorce to my mother, even though it wasnt his fault, and then 3 years ago he was called to start a mission church. We've grown to a pretty average attendance of 40-50 people, are baptizing every month, and are happier in a church than we've ever been. What was probly the coolest was nearly half of our members were old friends we'd served with through the years, and hadnt seen in a long time.

Jings!
Just as well God knows what He's doing, cos us chrirtians are really good at confusing ourselves and everyone around us.

Really enjoying this thread.

Well in that list, I think I saw one error.  Agnostics should think that farts happen.

I like the way Hank Hannegraaf describes the disagreements between the various denominations.  He calls them disagreements "within the family."  There are certain faiths which call themselves Christian that don't seem to meet the basic criteria, though.  Don't ask me which ones specifically - it's not my job to judge. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Who's criteria is it they don't meet?