1 (edited by Peatle Jville 2023-05-15 10:59:10)

Topic: In A Car Learning To Swim

This is a poem I wrote about Louie Armstrong singing the song Wonderful World on a car radio coming to my rescue.                             

In A Car Learning To Swim

Siting in the passenger seat is not always a fun thing.

Listening to the music on the radio as my serious driver talks about morbid things.

I’ve been chasing all sorts of dreams for a long time.

And now I am wondering as an old man what is the right time.

Is it time to stop or be thankful with my lot.

Now that I forget more than I remember.

Does it matter if its April, May or September.

I use to look for a song.

To tell me about right or wrong.

To be positive about my dreams.

The old songs of my youth are starting to feel staid.

The new songs are all about been laid.

All so temporary.

Ships in the night with no guiding light.

Taking the warmth out of the sun shining bright.

Songs from before my time that I didn’t like in my youth.

Loved by my elders and wasted on my youth.

Fill me with the wisdom of old fashion truth.

Those of my generation who thoughts made a big splash.

Many I want now to throw in the trash.

Cross legged Gurus on mountain tops.

Ideas  and mantras don’t mean a lot.

The Frank Sinatra mantra of I did it my way.

I’m not sure or confident if that’s what made me okay.

Will children gain wisdom as they grow.

Will they learn much more than I'll never know.

As I’m about to get out of the car.

To head into a Chapel to say goodbye to another friend.

Satchmo comes on the radio and make’s me smile.

No longer out of my depth in modern murky water.

I have learnt how to swim.

Re: In A Car Learning To Swim

As ever Pedr deep, thoughtful and pertinent. I think that passenger seat is metaphorically full as we've all been there and some have actually realised the truth of life and the other thing, yet we still blunder into the future heedless and regardless. Great observation and ability to express it.

Did you get me email last week?     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

3 (edited by Peatle Jville 2023-05-15 11:33:59)

Cheers Piri there are times when we are all in-the passenger seat with a driver with whom we feel is out of control.
Please resend me the email you sent me as I didn't get it due to a problem at my end of emails not been received last week on my email that has now been fixed,

4 (edited by TIGLJK 2023-05-15 12:35:49)

Peatle,
WOW, what a fantastic piece of literature!
Tremendous insight and use of metaphor and allusions.
I think this was writing that provides cathartic release as
well as symbolism and emotional introspection.

It transcends time as you address life from youth til current day.

Just a fabulous writing that is masterful in capturing the moment and expressing
deep thoughts- soulful assessment for sure!

Well done my Kiwi friend !!

JIm     

ps

As I read it for the third time, I had thoughts about a past member of Chordie that I used to enjoy very much - Strummerboy Bill

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Jim, I haven't had contact with Bill since before COVID, I think we are all aware of his health problems and I'd like any update anyone might have?

Also Mr Russ Harding a countryman of yours that I had a happy relationship with and wrote several songs together.

So many friends seem to have lost interest in Chordie and only a few have joined to take their place.     

Cheers Jim when I wrote that poem, I was metaphorically trying to put together my feelings about ageing and coming to accept the changes that come with it.  I find it hard as I get older to conceptualize what people mean when they talk about middle-aged, elderly aged. third age. This third age thing does that mean we have a first age and a second age if so, what makes a person fit into those categories? In my head I’m young but my body as it is now falling apart tells me different things. I guess like most people tell me youth is wasted on the young. I’m glad that you got my metaphoric way of expressing myself as I was worried that people would take my words literally or read them as the nonsensical ramblings of a mad man. I hope my words are something that people from all over the world can relate to.

Like you and Phill I would be interested to know how two of the legends of Chordie Bill and Russell are doing.     

Peatle, that was a great piece of writing.  I think many of us can relate as we older and reflect.  Some lines in particular stood out, such as this one for example "Fill me with the wisdom of old fashion truth". Good to see you still writing smile

Yes, I wondered about Bill and Russell as well, haven't seen either of them since before Covid.  I haven't seen or heard from Roger either, I wrote him an email about something to do with Chordie and no reply from him either.  I hope they are all ok.     

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Cheers Jan thank you for your feedback. Recently I have found myself using old fashion sayings more often when chatting with people such as "A stitch in time saves nine."     

Yo Jan. I tried emailing Roger to no reply but it seems he has another email which he does respond to. I'll ask him to get in touch.

I was chatting with an Englishman the other day and I mentioned how nice the weather was and he said bet it rains by the time I finish work, so I said yeah, sods law. to which he replied, in all the time I've been in Wales I've never heard a Welshman use that frase...well you have now

One of my favs comes from my mother, "be careful, if you come home dead I'll kill you" I think she meant it as a joke?     

Thanks Phill, hope you have more luck contacting Roger than I have had. 

I remember years ago saying,  "right said Fred" (meaning and used in the context of "let's start these dishes") whilst doing the dishes with my youngest son and his buddy.  Well, the two of them, laughed and laughed so much, at me saying that, that the 3 of us were in stitches so much that we had sore faces and stomachs from laughing so much.     

Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

It's great how once in a while something silly catches you and you laugh so much your face hurts and the tears roll and you get a stomach cramp. Let's have many more of them I say.     

One of my favourites from when I was a kid was when my Nan would get us laughing by saying, "how many million times have I told you kids not to exaggerate". When the laughter died down after some of her comic turns, she would say, "I love it when you all laugh your faces off."     

Phill, I agree, we all need more laughter smile

Peatle, that Nan of yours sounds a hoot, gotta love the Nans (and Grandads) out there smile     

Thanks Jan. I had a special relationship with my gran and I'm trying to nurture the same with my grandkids and great grandkids. Unfortunately they don't yet understand my sense of humour. If they're anything like my wife they never will...ho hum     

Cheers Piri and Jan, I enjoyed reading your comments and for some strange reason that song "Grandad." by Clive Dunn popped into my head.